Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
(or, "What are the chances I'd be posting two comic book-themed threads in the space of half an hour?")

In what's kind of an unusual move, actress Ruby Rose is leaving the role of Batwoman in the eponymous series on CW.

Ruby Rose’s surprise exit from the CW series “Batwoman” stemmed from an ill fit between star and production.

According to multiple sources, Rose was unhappy with the long hours required of her as the series lead, which led to friction on the set. It was thus decided by her and the network and studio, Warner Bros. Television, that they would part ways.
So they're going to have to recast. You can probably count on one hand all the series who had to replace their lead actor after only one year. The only one that comes to mind off hand is Mission: Impossible.

Anyway, it's gonna make the second season all that more interesting.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I still liked the way the original BatWoman was taken down by Batman (when he was out of town (before Dick & Barbra were in College)! Cassandra Was gay Woman that learnt she was a good martial artist and too up the mantle of BatWoman! She was brutal to the point someone died so Batman (after he got back dealings overseas) and he busted her!

they should have gone with this original story line from the 1990s!

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I am not surprised she is leaving.

Coming from successes like OITNB and John Wick 2, maybe Batwoman didn't turn out the way that Rose was hoping for. Maybe she wasn't ready for a lead role, too.

What is more surprising than her leaving is that the show still hasn't been canceled yet. The ratings of the show started strong, but really fell off since the first episode.

While I personally wouldn't consider any of the Arrowverse shows as high quality and they tend to be more on the cheesy side (compare any of them to 'Daredevil' on Netflix), Batwoman seemed to be the worst of them.

Anyway, it's gonna make the second season all that more interesting.
It would make the second season more interesting, but Rose quitting might just be the final nail in the show's coffin.

Over the past few months, there has been rumors that even though the show was renewed for a second season, it was still endangered of being canceled.

Maybe this influenced Rose's departure.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
While I personally wouldn't consider any of the Arrowverse shows as high quality and they tend to be more on the cheesy side (compare any of them to 'Daredevil' on Netflix), Batwoman seemed to be the worst of them.
I would have to agree with that, although my own gold standard for comparison has always been Gotham.

Still, the show is more interesting than I thought it would be when it first started.

Reactions: Alexis Noel

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I would have to agree with that, although my own gold standard for comparison has always been Gotham.
Both being DC, I would agree that Gotham is a better comparison. I think that DC characters tend to be a little more cheesy than Marvel.

I liked Gotham, it reminded me a lot of Tim Burton's take on the Batman Universe. Out of all the Arrowverse shows, the only one to come close to the quality of Gotham was Arrow, and it was still pretty far off, imo.

Now, I am only keeping up with one of the Arrowverse shows (Legends), and I am a season behind. I wonder if Stephen Amell's departure might lead to a decline of the other Arrowverse shows.

Reactions: Thomas Veil

apps1991

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2012
in the 80s they recast Superboy in the second season of the Superboy series and it worked out great for the next three years

Reactions: Thomas Veil

vidjahgamz

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I was absolutely shocked by this but I'm *very* curious who they'll recast her with. I think it's absolutely hilarious that they finally reveal what Bruce Wayne/Batman looks like and then we end up losing Ruby Rose as Batwoman.

Batwoman is definitely the least favorite out of all of the Arrowverse shows for the wife and I but we still enjoy it.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Series TV is a grind, especially broadcast series where they crank out 20+ episodes a season, with roughly a week to shoot each episode. As the lead, you're going to be at the top of most of the call sheets.

For those accustomed to movie shoots, it's an adjustment, and not one everyone can make, or even try to begin with.

For me the Berlanti Network CW shows get stale after a few seasons. Arrow was great for the first three, as was The Flash, but once the main characters start hooking up and the focus softens and shifts, I lose interest. More domestic life with Felicity and Iris? No thanks.

I liked Gotham, for its sheer craziness if nothing else, but the higher production values and Heller's helm gave it a grander feel. Of course, Fox was able to spend more the CW.

DaveSanDiego

macrumors member
May 12, 2020
I loved almost all of the CW "Arrowverse" shows.... for a while.... but each one started sliding down hill to the point I no longer watch any of them... the new "Stargirl" might hold my attention for a few months, but with CW track record.. I don't hold out much hope.

As far as Batwoman goes. I like Ruby Rose, but the show was stilted and predictable..... so perhaps with her leaving, the writers will come up with a more interesting premise.....

DC has bad luck with TV and film. Marvel seems to do so much better it both arenas.

This from someone who was 100% DC when I was a kid (of course that was a LONG LONG time ago)

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
I don't normally watch a lot of the other CW shows, so maybe this is why, but...did anyone else feel that "Crisis on Infinite Earths" was something of a mess?

Also, back on recasting Batwoman... Internet sources say Ruby Rose is 5'7" tall. Watching the show, I always got the impression she was kind of petite for the role, like 5'3" or something. Maybe I'm wrong, but I was talking about it with a work colleague today, and he thinks she looks short, too.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I don't normally watch a lot of the other CW shows, so maybe this is why, but...did anyone else feel that "Crisis on Infinite Earths" was something of a mess?
It definitely didn't leave up to the hype, a lot of the advertised cameos ended up being irrelevant to the plot, and yeah, it was over way too quickly. You get CW's version of the justice league coming together, but it doesn't seem like they have plans for any major crossovers happening soon.

I am mixed on Ruby Rose. I thought she had excellent chemistry with Supergirl's actress, but can't seem to carry a show on her own, and the weak script didn't exactly help either. I am also getting quite turned off by the Supergirl series and their heavy-handed shoving of social issues down my throat.

Maybe Supergirl and Batgirl ought to get together and share a show between both of them?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

Also, back on recasting Batwoman... Internet sources say Ruby Rose is 5'7" tall. Watching the show, I always got the impression she was kind of petite for the role, like 5'3" or something. Maybe I'm wrong, but I was talking about it with a work colleague today, and he thinks she looks short, too.
It was terrible viewing. I think we still watch out of habit. Legends has become such a spoof show. Flash has too many characters. Way too many. Same way Arrow went. As soon as there are a team of four or five heroes, it just goes to pot.

As for Batwomen, we only watched the first episode. Decided it wasn't for us. Gotham was decent.

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
They could call it "The Brave and the Bold". :) (That's comics humor for those who don't know their history).
World's Finest would be more appropriate.

If it has Batwoman & a rotating partner every week, that would be "The Brave & the Bold".

Sorry, had to be THAT nerd. ;)

ffdb267b1df68002a7209a6eabb58842.jpg

• Love
Reactions: D.T. and Lasrjock

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
I grew up reading "The Brave and the Bold" and "World's Finest".

Nowadays it's "The Bold and the Beautiful", and Superman and Batman are often portrayed as enemies.

What has happened to my childhood? ?

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Really?

Batwoman Will Not Recast Kate Kane in Wake of Ruby Rose's Exit; New Character Eyed to Lead Series

Batwoman is opting to erase, rather than recast, Kate Kane.

TVLine has confirmed that the CW series will create a brand new character to don Batwoman’s cape in Season 2 in the wake of Ruby Rose’s sudden departure.

Further details on the new character have not been released officially, but Decider reports that a leaked casting breakdown referred to the newbie superhero as “Ryan Wilder,” a woman in her mid-20s who “is about to become Batwoman.”

I hate it when they do stuff like this. Like we’re too stupid to accept someone else playing the same role.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I hate it when they do stuff like this. Like we’re too stupid to accept someone else playing the same role.
Maybe it could be a good thing. It could be like a soft-reboot and maybe making the show better than what it currently is.

BTW, I am not blaming Rose for the horrible quality of the show, as it is clearly bad writing, but maybe her departure and doing a soft-reboot can save this show from being the weakest link of the many weak links of the Arrowverse shows.

Warner Bros. and The CW previously confirmed that they would cast another LGBTQ actress in the role.
I have seen this a few places, and think that this is not a good idea.

Besides it being really openly discriminatory (I guess this is okay now?), it really limits the potential pool of actors. I really hope this doesn't become a new trend with casting roles.

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Coincidentally, this started being printed digitally this week...

863654._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

I have seen this a few places, and think that this is not a good idea.

Besides it being really openly discriminatory (I guess this is okay now?), it really limits the potential pool of actors. I really hope this doesn't become a new trend with casting roles.
Actually it's been in keeping with what Hollywood has promised to various groups recently especially since the Amazon 'Transparent' series dustup. Using actor/actresses that represent the parts that are available. As historically they were the last to be considered for those same roles.

If you're uncertain about any of this, interestingly enough you can check out some articles about Scarlet Johnansson and her various casting issues.

Last edited:

faust

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Well, looks like they need a new Ralph Dibny/Elongated Man.

I'm pretty much a huge advocate for social justice. I understand that people may have been distastefully bigoted in the past. It pretty much goes with the territory of the landscape of the society we once lived within. It's easy for society to progress forward and then condemn the past rhetoric of people who really just went with how society went, but is it restorative to just blacklist and recast such people? Without restorative justice, an opportunity to atone, and make right their past errors? Social justice is just not that effective. We are better when we bridge the divides between us and work together to create a more brilliant society.

I'm a transgender woman. I've identified as such since the early 00s. I have been terrorized, dehumanized, and isolated throughout the years. I have been treated so badly that thinking back on some, or most of my experiences from then to the present date makes me cry, it fills me with sorrow, but we are stronger if we rehabilitate, acknowledge past mistakes, and commit to progressing forward, and that's what I focus on. I take the anger and fury I feel from past misdeeds against me and use them to propel me forward.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.