Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eropko

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2023
Well, as it's basically performance of M1Pro or M1Max, having 14 inch Pros start with base M3 might be justified. M1Pros performance is quite enough for many, if not all, productivity tasks.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
20% speed boost is extremely high. I wonder how well Geekbench translates to daily experience because wow. The new iMac beats all the M2 macs, even the ones that are super expensive and top of the line

When Geekbench scores are:
  • Apple flattering, they absolutely translate to daily experience.
  • NOT flattering, they have practically no translation to daily experience and Geekbench "needs to be redesigned."
In short: Geekbench, Cinebench, etc and even entities like Consumer Reports are "fair weather" gauges to Apple Fans. If they are:
  • positive on Apple, they are gospel and evangelized/quoted.
  • negative, they are wrong/outdated and/or engaged in a conspiracy to undermine Apple or manipulate stock pricing.
The beat goes on. ;)

Last edited:

terminator-jq

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
I remember the doldrums during the intel mac days, with single digit increases being generous. Once Apple put hot intel chips in a thin enclosure, we said goodbye to any gains from intel's "new" processors in an updated mac.

Hoping to see a m3 mini and m3 Max Studio soon!

I also want to see new cinebench tests, which can also test GPUs. Cinebench 2023 has been updated to take advantage of any RT capabilities in the m3 chips. When they say 2.5x faster in Redshift, they may mean it. RT additions are no joke for 3d artists.

I would LOVE a super tiny mac laptop again. I wonder if my eyes would ;-)
Yep us 3D artist have been wishing for raytracing since the M1 days. Glad it’s finally here. This is one area where Nvidia has been absolutely killing it. CPU wise, Apple has already done a fantastic job but I was very happy to see all the GPU improvements this year.

Apparently the M series and A series chips have split off starting with the M3 so I’m definitely looking forward to seeing what else Apple does in the future now that their Mac silicon team has more flexibility.

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
Kinda pointless comparing performance 13 years apart.
I'm pretty sure that your 2010 Mac Pro has a much larger performance gap compared to a 1997 PowerMac.
It’s a look-how-far-we’ve-come thing.

Reactions: KeithBN

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Apple themselves during the keynote advertised it as an upgrade for mostly Intel users and maybe some M1s, they dodged most comparisons against the M2 line.

Apple can't put down M2 to prop up M3 because there are more Macs for sale during the holiday season with M2 than M3. M1 was just put out to pasture with the iMac update... so fair game for "long in tooth" comparisons because there are is no more M1 for sale as new from Apple. Intel is easier to compare because that's 2023 vs. 2020 (or older), which should yield big, interesting numbers for quick-hit marketing messaging.

It's always about the money. 💰💰💰

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Apple can't put down M2 to prop up M3 because there are more Macs for sale during the holiday season with M2 than M3. M1 was just put out to pasture with the iMac update... so fair game for "long in tooth" comparisons because there are no more M1 for sale as new from Apple. Intel is easy to compare because that 2023 vs. 2020 (or older), which should yield big, interesting numbers for quick-hit marketing messaging.

And there's no better moneygrab move than to release a just-good-enough iteration and always withhold the big guns for the next move ;)

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
For example?

…um. Literally any GUI code is single-threaded, for example. As are most data operations, as you first need to partition the data and keep syncing issues in mind.

Making an algorithm multi-threaded is something you have to carefully opt in to.

Don't be sarcastic, I'm Just stating facts.

When Apple upgrades frequently, people whine that they just bought something and it's already out of date. When Apple upgrades infrequently, people whine that products are long in the tooth.

Also, where is the M3 Max mac studio?

I asked Joz not to release it because it might upset people who have an M2 Max.

By time the new mac studios come out with m3 max, m4 max will be right around the corner.

Yeah, so you see why this entire conversation is moot.

HowardEv

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2018
Medford ma
I wish the benchmarks were in real-world units, like how many Logic Pro virtual tracks can it play before hiccup, or how fast can it copy a TB hard drive, etc. I’ve looked for this answer for years, but still don’t know if I need 16GB of RAM or a Pro chip to run my studio, or if M2 is enough. Everyone will say “just pay for the RAM to be sure” etc, but rather spend difference on a better interface or microphone, you know? I don’t make huge productions, but I’ve still hit processor overload on my i5 iMac with 24 GB.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
So let me get this straight, a laptop with m3 max will be faster than a mac studio with m2 max? Seems like anyone who bought a mac studio m2 max in the past 1-2 months got taken for a ride.
I bought an absolute top spec iMac some years ago on launch day. Within a few months, a new model MacBook Pro was introduced that was faster than my iMac.

Was I disappointed or felt I'd been taken for a ride? Of course not. It's natural progression, new stuff comes out that's faster than old stuff. It's how things work.

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
We’ve got to stop and put on our thinking caps for a minute. Here’s what people are missing:

M1 was a huge jump over Intel in respective machines, many increases in the multi-X range. Then M2 comes along with 20% improvements. Then M3.

MEANING

When M2 to M3 is 20% better, it’s like a whole additional 6 or 8 core Intel chip from the 2019 16” MBP on top of 3 of those already.

The math may not be perfect, but a 20% jump from M2-M3 is a LOT of power from a couple years ago.

boak

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2021
Apple can't put down M2 to prop up M3 because there are more Macs for sale during the holiday season with M2 than M3. M1 was just put out to pasture with the iMac update... so fair game for "long in tooth" comparisons because there are is no more M1 for sale as new from Apple. Intel is easier to compare because that's 2023 vs. 2020 (or older), which should yield big, interesting numbers for quick-hit marketing messaging.

M1 MBA is still being sold

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

BlairMALL

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2002
Chesapeake, VA
Don't be sarcastic, I'm Just stating facts. Also, where is the M3 Max mac studio? By time the new mac studios come out with m3 max, m4 max will be right around the corner.
To be fair, when a person buys a product that is upgraded within 1-2 months, they haven't been "taken for a ride." Computers are in a constant state of upgrade and replacement. I believe if you have purchased an apple within 45 days of the upgrade, you can return it and get the latest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.