Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I have "Hey Siri" on and I end the day with 20%-30% battery left. And I typically take it off the charger at 7-8am.

I usually have around 40-50% when I put mine on the charger and usually have it on my wrist all day (14-15 hours).

I have had the phone for almost a week now and havent had a bad battery life day. And its pointless to turn off all those features such as hey siri or fitness tracking, they are really helpful. Id say you give your watch a couple more days to test out the battery.

I concur! I have had my Watch for just over a month (April 24th) and have yet to even kick into power reserve let alone completely die on me. Although, TBH, Hey Siri is really hit and miss (mainly miss).

maybe resetting the watch to factory settings will solve your problem.

Said every Apple employee ever lol. ;)

CellXor10

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
Connecticut, USA
I'm hoping that it's a case of the battery needing to charge/discharge a few times in order to be able to hold a full charge for the proper amount of time.

The first day I used my watch the battery didn't last the day. After that first day I usually have between 45 % -30 % battery left at the end of the day.

Yep, I wouldn't panic at all just yet, OP. I think that a lot of people, if they do experience a huge battery drain on the first day or two (I did), chalk it up to heavy usage of their new awesome toy. I certainly did at the end of the night of the first day I had my Watch. It was just about 4 weeks ago now so I don't remember my exact numbers as far as total hours or the final battery percentage, but it being close to a week after the launch date, I had read plenty about how the best surprise with the Watch was it's battery life. So I figured I must've over-used it that first day when I saw a pretty big drain. But the next couple days I had usage on par with my first day and was ending the day with decent battery life left (days with respectively light usage it isn't uncommon that I have well over 50% left now), so I began to think that the batteries may need to stretch their legs some once they're out of the box.

If this pattern continues tho for you OP, it's got to be a defective battery in your Watch.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I usually have around 40-50% when I put mine on the charger and usually have it on my wrist all day (14-15 hours).

I concur! I have had my Watch for just over a month (April 24th) and have yet to even kick into power reserve let alone completely die on me. Although, TBH, Hey Siri is really hit and miss (mainly miss).

I use mine a little more vigorously for working out, so that may explain why mine is lower. But it hasn't went into power reserve mode yet.

frumpy16

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
I wouldn't worry about disabling the features. I've been running mine today since 5:00 AM (going on 17 hours now) including a 5k run and usage throughout the day. No features are "off". Just checked the battery glance and its 40%. Most nights it's even more than that when I put it on the charger.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
The first day I used my watch the battery didn't last the day. After that first day I usually have between 45 % -30 % battery left at the end of the day.

It would be nice if people figured out that batteries take a little breaking in. No matter the device released, if it's got a battery, someone will be on here either just noticing or complaining about seemingly short battery life. It's really fine to notice this, because I did. Mine went from 67 percent when I opened it about 4 p.m. or so to 5 percent when I put it on the charger a few seconds ago. But you gotta give it a few days. The combined factor of breaking it in plus the user not going "OOH, AHH" over all the features makes it better.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
So today was my first day with my Apple Watch. It was charged to 100% and I took it off the charger at 11:00am and went about my day. It's now 8:30pm and my battery is down to 12%. 9 and a half hours to 12%.... This doesn't seem too good, especially considering there wasn't heavy usage. Here is what I used it for today:

- Alerts that came up on it: Handful of Gmail / Mail / Facebook / SMS messages.

- I also sent about a dozen SMS messages from the watch.

- I used GPS on the watch for about 10 mins total (or less)

- I ran it all day with the brightness at the lowest setting

- Sound was on mute all day

- Had one 15 minute walk

And now it's almost dead. Please tell me this is some sort of "first charge doesn't last as long but after that it will run much longer" kind of thing or something.... otherwise, having an almost dead watch at 9.5 hrs of use and really not doing that much on it is kind of.... terrible....

Anyone else have similar experiences or recommendations?

Reminder: my brightness is all the way down, I'm set to mute and only exercised for 15 mins... I know how to turn off the heart sensor, but I'd rather not start disabling all the features of this thing to get promised battery life....

Thoughts?

Try a hard restart (hold both buttons for about 5 seconds), charge it up, and see how it goes tomorrow.

Yesterday I was only down to about 60% after 12+ hours. I have my brightness all the way up, and volume on default setting. I used my watch for email and text notifications throughout the day, checking weather, a couple 30-minute walks with my dog, a few "Hey Siri" questions, like setting reminders and stuff... Used it for one phone call... Even used the GPS for about a 25-minute drive. I was honestly shocked when I looked at the battery before going to bed.

Today, same thing... 12 hours off the charger, and I'm sitting at 66%.

I did a hard restart on both days, because my watch became extremely warm while it was just sitting on my bed doing nothing (I was in the shower). After the restart, and leaving it again, it was nice and cool.

I think the OS is still buggy, maybe even memory leaks in apps, or something keeps running when it shouldn't. I expect this to get better over time, but the restarts helped me quite a bit.

Turn off 'Hey Siri' and your battery life will last A LOT longer.

Don't do that. That's just silly. This isn't the old Android days where we need to disable everything that makes our device useful.

Last edited:

latsyrhc

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2009
Chicago, IL
i've had mine since launch and ever since the update, it barely lasts 13 hours. i usually don't work out until i get home at night and halfway through my workout, i get the power reserve message. kind of defeats the fitness purpose of the watch if it'll die before i finish working out.

but i'll try doing a hard reset and some of the other suggestions in this thread. fingers crossed.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Yep. My day 1 has been bad as well. I'll give it a few days, though. I'm pretty much experiencing the same as, OP. But, when I got my 42 a couple of weeks ago, the same thing happened. After a couple of days, I was able to go through the whole day.

crispApple

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2015
Wisconsin
Mine has been wonderful for me. Take it off the charger at 7am. Get notifications throughout the day. A few calls. Fitness updates. Email notifications, screen full brightness. Haptic on full. I just put it on the charger and it was at 42%. It's 11pm. 38mm sport. :)

paulgandersman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Thanks for all the responses everyone! Sounds like its just a matter of breaking in the battery!

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
How do you turn it off? I can't find the option.

It asked you during initial setup. There is nothing to turn off for you now. Once it is done, it is done.

If you have all your apps showing up on your watch, then you turned it on during setup.

During that setup, your watch had to download all those apps, so that eats up battery.

Just give it a couple days. Normal battery life with Siri on and screen at max brightness is 1.5 days for me. 50% by the end of the night.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
That should not be right and I think there is definitely something wrong with your Apple Watch.

I have the 42 mm.

I never have to turn any of the features off, and brightness of the display is full.
I do approximately over an hour of run every day.
All notifications through the Apple watch.
Unplug it at 05:00am and end up at 22:00 with at least 35% battery remaining.

You really should not have to turn off anything to get the battery life others are getting. Just take it back at Apple and ask them to have a look at it.

paulgandersman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Update from Day 2: Battery life is MUCH better today (with pretty much the same usage). So I definitely think its a matter of breaking in the battery. I'm at almost 12 hours and I'm at 37%.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Update from Day 2: Battery life is MUCH better today (with pretty much the same usage). So I definitely think its a matter of breaking in the battery. I'm at almost 12 hours and I'm at 37%.

Did you do a restart or anything? Or just charge it and use it?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

Makes sense as most iPhones I've ever used need a couple days to sort out the battery at first.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
Why do you guys turn off these useful features like hey Siri and heart rate monitor? i would go through notification settings and turn off useless notifications. Also go into privacy > location services and turn off locations from apps you don't use. Some apps use you location services in the background which can drain your battery. Doing this not only helped my phone battery life but also allows me to have an all day battery life for the watch.

Because Hey Siri sucks. It's finicky. Plus, you can still use Siri; you just need to press and hold the crown button. I'd rather do that than say Hey Siri four or five times and pray that she will finally understand that you need her.

In regards to heart monitor, some people don't need or care about it. Not everyone buys a smart watch for the health features.

scholls22

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
Okay, I think I have found a fix somewhat. I did several things and not sure which one worked 100%. I did a system restore of both devices and then re-paired. What I think did the trick was the following. I went into the watch settings and then to notifications..Every single app on my iPhone 6 was checked to send notifications to the iPhone which I think was constantly interacting with the phone. I would guess that the more apps you have on your phone, the quicker the battery dies. I unchecked about 95% of the apps and I have been getting way better battery life.

Also, my standby and usage times are starting to have a better spread than I did yesterday. My phone has been off of the charger for an hour and I am still at 100%, which for the last few days I would have been down to 90 already.

Try disabling the notifications and see if that helps!!!!

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
First day battery life was bad for me. Now it is fine, my guess is that you are just using more than you think you are - just to check the time, or scrolling through the app screen.

But if not, I would reboot both the watch and the phone at some point.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
It's been day 3 with my 38MM SS, and the battery life is FINALLY better! The first two days were horrible!

Started at 93%
Currently at 84%

Usage is 1 hour, 38 minutes
Standby time is: 5 hours and 10 minutes

So, 9% lost since I last took it off the charger this morning, and I've used it as I normally would during the first two days.

During the first two days (same usage as today), I was dropping around 9% per hour (based on standby time). Typically, I would be down 45% in 5 hours or so.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
38mm : After terrible battery on first charge (although usage was over 5 hrs so something was interacting) whereby it was dead by 2pm, and after disabling 3rd party apps, today is fine.

7am off charger and almost 12 hours later I'm at 73%. 1hr 10 usage on medium brightness just checking the time, answering a few calls, messages and emails during a work day.

Even on heavier days I don't think I'd run past 30% by 10pm. Will be adding third party apps back slowly to check for any drainers.

Ocean1286

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015
Battery life is definitely bad on the first day but it will get better in a few days. I did a factory restore on my watch Tuesday and it died by 3pm. Today im at 77% at about 1:45. I think it has something to do with the fitness tracker calibrating.

Slv3562

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2015
My battery life was horrible yesterday - had to fully charge it twice. Today - 2nd day, I've had it on my wrist for over 5 hours and it's at 77% - lots of text messages and glances. I'm happy with its battery life (38mm sport).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.