First day on new iMac 27" and already uninstalling LION!!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Buffsteria, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Buffsteria macrumors regular

Buffsteria

Lion is horrible! What has Mac OS X come to?? This isn't Mac OS!!

I'm using my 2011 MacBook Pro to install Snow Leopard onto an external USB drive and will upgrade to 10.6.8. Then I'm booting my new iMac from that drive and cloning it over with SuprDuper. Yeah because I can't boot from my Snow Leopard CD. It doesn't have any Sandy Bridge drivers!

2. Rlnplehshalo macrumors regular

Well I don't like it either but it's smoother than windows:|

3. theturn macrumors newbie

thanks for lettings us know, please report on how your grand plan is working out.

4. Overg macrumors 6502

What is going with lion? Is it that horrible? Unstable?

5. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Any specific complaints? You do realise going back to SL is not a long term solution? Have you updated it with the most recent combo update? Most of the speed and stability issues are gone with that.

6. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

I have run Lion since release day, and I moved up from SL without issue.

Spend a few week running Windows Vista to fully understand a bad operating system.

7. Buffsteria thread starter macrumors regular

Buffsteria

I could write longer about problems under the hood and how stupid the interface is but the most glaring problem is that none of my apps are running well on it...Maya 2012 won't even install even with Direct Connect turned off and ZBrush 4R3 and Topogun won't start!

I'll stick with Snow Leopard. I also want to compare the benchmarks because I swear the new i5 3.1Ghz iMac is running SLOWER than our Core 2 Duo 3.04 Ghz.

8. nec207 macrumors 6502

Please tell us what is wrong with Lion or what the problem is has we do not know what you doing wrong .

Is it some kind of slow down or errors ?

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I'm not sure that will work. Drivers are required for a reason

10. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Lion, even though it's become trendy on these forums to bash it without giving any specific reason. Some people will cite that the lack of App Expose is the reason why it's rubbish. I don't miss it much, since I use Mission Control and App Expose to give me the same thing in a slightly different way, but ML should take care of those complaints.

I use Lion on three different machines: a 2009 MBP, a 2011 MBA and a 2011 Mini Server. The MBP and MBA were upgraded to Lion. The Mini shipped with Lion (server version). It is perfectly fine, fast and stable. When you first switch on your computer it will be somewhat slow, due to indexing. Make sure that you update to the latest version as well.

A legitimate complaint is that Rosetta support has been taken away, but I have no reason to run PowerPC Apps.

11. Buffsteria thread starter macrumors regular

Buffsteria

Worked perfectly! I had to boot from the recovery partition, erase the Macintosh HD, use our MacBook Pro to install Snow Leopard onto an external USB hard drive, upgrade that to 10.6.8 and then boot the new iMac from it and then clone the external drive to the Macintosh HD using SuperDuper! A techie workout, really. Why? Because the version of OS X Snow Leopard in the install CD is 10.6.3 and has no drivers for Sandy Bridge processors. But in 10.6.8 Sandy Bridge is supported.

Added 16GB RAM.
    Now using the updated Migration Assistant!

12. New Apple macrumors regular

i have used MS for 20 years, I'm using Lion since 1 month (or less) i find it nice
    just needed to get used a bit.

13. Buffsteria thread starter macrumors regular

Buffsteria

Well it was slow, my works apps wouldn't install, load, or run and the new look looked stupid. It's 1:23AM, I think I can't be too specific. Good night.

14. torana355 macrumors 68020

Lion is basically exactly the same as SL with a few minor changes like Expose and spaces. My upgrade to Lion on my iMac was flawless with noticeably snappier performance and all Apps worked perfectly. I swear some people just like to whinge for the sake of it.

15. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

Isn't App Exposé just a four-finger-drag-down on the trackpad?

16. Buffsteria thread starter macrumors regular

Buffsteria

You try it then. You try installing and running the programmes I need to install and run. You think I'm whinging for the sake of it? You're whinging for the sake of it. You have bugger all to say. Bugger off.

17. tuapekkong macrumors newbie

Hmm...what specific applications are you unable to install and run that's got your goat so badly?

You might not have meant it, but your reply does come across as rather rude and crass. People in the forum are here to help and are generally collegial. :eek:

Unless of course you meant to troll...

18. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Can you be more specific?

Lion is not slow once the initial Spotlight indexing is complete.

What apps wouldn't install, load or run?

What new look? It looks exactly like SL, but it has monochrome icons in things like Finder. If you don't like the view all files that is default in Lion's Finder, you can change it back quite easily.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1300195

19. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

If Lion were the real issue, wouldn't everybody experience the same issues? Especially since the hardware is for the most part the same or very similar unlike the machines running Windows. This is tech support 101 stuff.

20. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

The UI is the same as SL and Leopard?

Launchpad is OPTIONAL.
    Fullscreen is OPTIONAL.

Fair enough your apps may need updating, but the speed issue is mostly resolved in 10.7.4....

21. nec207 macrumors 6502

What things in finder that some people do not like and what is this monochrome icons ?

Is it the lack of color with some icons on the left so called gray icons?

----------

Not sure why people do not like Launchpad is that do to they cannot add, delate apps or organize apps in folders.What so different than classic application folder on the dock that cannot be done now with launchpad ?

22. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

The "All Files" default view in Lion's Finder is one thing in particular that may be odd to SL users.

Yes

23. nec207 macrumors 6502

Can some one post some screenshots of what this all file does.

All I see http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5056/5479955974_178b103d81.jpg

Not that much different than snow leopard.

24. jabalczar macrumors member

I have the lastest i5 iMac 21.5 ins. I have to say I didn't like Lion at first, it took me a week or so, and now I wouldn't go back. I love it, especially all the gestures.

However, even though I have a Sandy Bridge i5 and 12 GB of RAM, and obviously everything is indexed as I've been using it since it came out, I do find it SLOW. It's not as snappy as SL. And my HD whirs a lot, even though I'm not doing anything particularly intensive.

I'm hoping ML speeds up Lion in the same way SL sped up Leopard.

That said, it is ultra stable.

25. leman macrumors 604

I like Lion much better than SL. Mountain Lion is going to be even better from what I saw. Overall, the difference between Lion and SL is not that great to allow such emotional response. I mean, its not like Windows 7 vs Windows 8 ;)

----------

If the provider of your software is unable to keep it updated, its probably wise to look for alternatives. They had a year to update.