Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Well I don't like it either but it's smoother than windows:|

That's not necessarily true. You just assume it is.

I could write longer about problems under the hood and how stupid the interface is but the most glaring problem is that none of my apps are running well on it...Maya 2012 won't even install even with Direct Connect turned off and ZBrush 4R3 and Topogun won't start!

I'll stick with Snow Leopard. I also want to compare the benchmarks because I swear the new i5 3.1Ghz iMac is running SLOWER than our Core 2 Duo 3.04 Ghz.

Did you update to the latest? Zbrush should be fine.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=16820654
From Autodesk's site

9. What version of Mac OS X does Autodesk use in the Maya graphics certification process?

Maya 2012 graphics certification testing was done using Mac OS® X v.10.6.6 unless otherwise specified. Autodesk recommends that you use the same operating system version that was tested with the graphics hardware. A newer version does not always provide the best support.

I'm not sure about topogun. Maya 2013 was probably tested on Lion.

Buffsteria

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
I'm not sure about topogun. Maya 2013 was probably tested on Lion.

I don't think so but even if it has my school hasn't upgraded to 2013 so I wouldn't be able to open my files in school.

----------

Wow, Autodesk still hasn't updated Maya for Lion? I wonder what the hold up could be?

I think the lack of new Mac Pros could have something to do with it.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
If the provider of your software is unable to keep it updated, its probably wise to look for alternatives. They had a year to update.

Not that I'm a huge fan of autodesk, but companies that deal with a lot of animation software and crap like that go for stability, nothing more. They do their certification testing on a very specific version and that's it for the year. It should run under Lion anyway. My point was only that it's certified on SL. Also take note of the weird way they do the years. Maya 2013 was released this year. Also none of the equivalents are perfect on OSX. Some things run really well, but Windows and possibly Linux (due to large studios with however many seats of it) are probably bigger markets there.

Wow, Autodesk still hasn't updated Maya for Lion? I wonder what the hold up could be?

Note that he's referring to the version from last year even if it says 2012. That software isn't maintained terribly well though.

I don't think so but even if it has my school hasn't upgraded to 2013 so I wouldn't be able to open my files in school.

That's understandable. For a school it makes sense to stay with something stable rather than the most recent version. It wouldn't make sense to implement such a thing until hot fixes or service packs arrive to fix any major bugs given the state of their last several releases. It will probably sneak in there before the fall semester as they wouldn't want to update when students have open projects.

Spacekatgal

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
I could write longer about problems under the hood and how stupid the interface is but the most glaring problem is that none of my apps are running well on it...Maya 2012 won't even install even with Direct Connect turned off and ZBrush 4R3 and Topogun won't start!

I'll stick with Snow Leopard. I also want to compare the benchmarks because I swear the new i5 3.1Ghz iMac is running SLOWER than our Core 2 Duo 3.04 Ghz.

Uhm, I have to say - I only run Maya 2011, but zBrush 4R3 and Topogun run fine for me. So does Maya for that matter.

When Lion came out it broke Headus UV layout for a while, but that got patched. Don't forget with Maya updates that you have to get the hotfix, which is usually the entire program all over again.

Are you running legit copies? Because, I just can't think of another reason you'd be having problems.

----------

I just also want to say, I'm not a casual user. I work in game dev, I use these programs for 12-14 hours a day. I promise you, you can make it work. Lion is plenty stable.

Work on the Windows side for a while, and you'll experience a poor operating system. Time Machine alone has saved my butt more times that I could recount.

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
I have not used Lion yet, since i refuse to use MAS, but this forum has given me plenty of reasons to leave it alone until H/W upgrade forces me.

Last edited:

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Been running Lion on my 2009 27" iMac (i5 model) since it was in beta and it's been running great the whole time. Never have been able to understand why so many people hate it.

As for Maya, I'm fairly certain that I had the free learning edition installed under Lion at one point, and it ran fine… I wonder why it's giving you trouble.

Buffsteria

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
As for Maya, I'm fairly certain that I had the free learning edition installed under Lion at one point, and it ran fine… I wonder why it's giving you trouble.

That's the same one I can't even install, were you on 10.7.4? I even tried with Direct Connect unchecked during install.

I downgraded to SL and it runs great now!

Gloops

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2009
I haven't gone anywhere near Lion since I read it added an autosave feature and removed the 'save as' command.

jabalczar

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
I haven't gone anywhere near Lion since I read it added an autosave feature and removed the 'save as' command.

I found that 'suspect' at first, and it took me a week or so to get used to Lion, which I didn't like at first.

Maybe we just don't like changing things we've been doing since we first got a computer. But now I love autosave, especially in Pages, which I think doesn't have any type of autosave in SL.

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2007
You try it then. You try installing and running the programmes I need to install and run. You think I'm whinging for the sake of it? You're whinging for the sake of it. You have bugger all to say. Bugger off.

Ignore the fanboys. You've made them all insecure and they have to bash you for it.
I feel the same way about Lion. The last real OSX version was SL. Everything after that has been a dumbing down of OSX into ios.
Mountain Lion will be even more ridiculous.
And Windows 8 is the same stupid move.
A few years from now, people will recall Snow Leopard and Windows 7 as the last serious operating systems before apple and microsoft bastardized their operating systems into tablet and phone gadget controllers.

kitsunestudios

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2012
A few years from now, people will recall Snow Leopard and Windows 7 as the last serious operating systems before apple and microsoft bastardized their operating systems into tablet and phone gadget controllers.

Funny, they're still saying that bout the original Mac and Windows. DOS was the last true operating system! :rolleyes:

Seriously, if Apple does wind up completely locking down the desktop OS, I'll go with Ubuntu Linux. A lot of the programs I use these days are either open source, or have open-source alternatives.

I've only been using Lion for a few days now, but it's not been nearly as bad as I feared. I need to sort Launchpad into a more usable system, and the new scrolling has taken a little getting used to, but it's getting worked out as I figure out the configuration shortcuts.

As far as 3d, Blender is working great so far, haven't really tried out Sculptris on the new system though.

nec207

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2011

Really what is it about Lion look and feel that some people hate it so much .

IS IT THE autosave ,Launchpad cannot add, delate apps or organize apps in folders ,monochrome icons , changes to finder ,lack of color with some icons on the left so called gray icons ??

If so has he or she not tried tool kits from the internet to add color to the icons that gray if that is the problem or tool kits ro change the finder to look and feel like SL ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.