First day with 5S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Leet Apple, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Well i picked up my 5S early int he morning and had all day to fool around with it, what I've noticed that i think is a little strange is i haven't had a full set of bars all day :confused:

I live literally as downtown as you can get in Toronto why aren't i seeing full bars is my phone defective?

2. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I have on average 3-4 bars out of 5. It's not typical to always have full bars.

Also at 3-4, I never have any issues. You're fine.

3. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

The number of bars correlate with the distance u r from a cell tower, not the signal strength.

4. coolio93 macrumors 6502

This sounds very off to me. The bats signify signal strength AFAIK

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

LOL. REALLY? Why would knowing how far you are from a tower important than signal strength?

6. taedouni macrumors 65816

This is just so wrong.

7. jdaniel macrumors 65816

First day with 5S

Check with other people on the howardforums it's geared more for cellphones n cell providers has a Canadian section. Also indoors you will probably never get full strength r u turning 4g on or off?

8. sohaloh macrumors regular

What carrier are you on? I use Virgin, thats bell's network. I rarely get more than 3 dots. But thats normal don't worry about it.

9. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

I have mine set to DBm, much more detailed reading than the 5 bars.

10. Altis macrumors 68000

Just because you live downtown in one of the biggest cities in the world doesn't mean your reception will be good. There are so many interferences, phones to serve, etc.

You could try going up the CN tower and seeing if that helps. :D

11. Leet Apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

My 4S used to get full bars in my house all the time :confused:

12. jdaniel macrumors 65816

Bars r not that important than the actual call quality if ur having issues

13. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

LOL... No.

14. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Yeah iPhone 5 and 5S have worse signal reception than the 4 and 4S. It's the metal casing. They allow signal to get through via the 2 glass bars at the button and top - but if you cover one of these two with your hand (like if you're using the phone, holding the bottom) you will experience a loss of service i.e 1-2 bars.

I was holding my phone with 2 hands the other day for some reason (it was comfortable at the time I think), like one hand wrapped around the top (loosely) and the other hand typing on the button, and I noticed my bars went from 5 to 3 immediately as I did this. And up to 4 when I took my hand off the top of the phone

Everyone tries to make excuses as to why signal from the same location, and same service all of a sudden got worse after switching phones. But it's just the phone. It's not a defect, it's design

15. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

And what determines the strength of the signal if not how far you are from a tower?

16. mattyu007 macrumors member

mattyu007

I think you generally just end up getting fewer bars on LTE, which the 4S did not support.

For example (same location, same time):

Attached Files:

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Quite a few factors and variables (like actual power output of the tower, load of the cell, any interference that might be present, etc.). Distance from the tower is but one of those, and not necessarily one of the most important ones.

18. Justin33 macrumors regular

Justin33

I'm certainly no expert but I just got a brand new sim card in my 4s and ever since my signal strength has been WAAAAY improved. 5 bars/dots almost all the time.

I dont know how all that works, but it apparently makes a difference.

19. Leet Apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Well today I've finally gotten full bars in my house, i guess my iPhone needed a day to get accommodated

20. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Because it is off.

Signal strength is given by the bars in representation to the dB level. In this case, optimal for cell towers is somewhere between (Five bars/circles) -50dB to -67dB, with lowest possible signal (one to no bars/cicles where you will suffer drops) at -117db to -124dB. Some manufactures simply use different scales. But in general that is the thumb rule.

21. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

It based on the number of active users (or load) contected to the cell tower and the tower's output.