First day with new mac and already problems help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by opeepingtomo, Jan 2, 2008.

1. opeepingtomo macrumors regular

Everything was going good, i was moving over some music from my backup drive. Well i had a bit i decided to delete, and i had about a billion folders highlighted, i accidenlty hit something, enter possibly, and of course they all shoot open at once. I didnt want to manually close them, it would have literally taken 20 mins, so i restart, and long and behold they reopen themselves after the restart, and after the full shutdown with power button and battery removal.

How do i get osx 10.5 to restart and not boot up everything that was open before shutting down?

Just a regular fresh boot?

Oh by the way i cant even manually close them now because it just freezes before i get the chance.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Check to see they're not listed in your Login Items in System Preferences.

3. opeepingtomo thread starter macrumors regular

how do i do that if i cant even into the thing? if i safe boot into leopard, will that just load the OS only without the startup items?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

5. opeepingtomo thread starter macrumors regular

tell me if im doing this correctly

as soon as the chime ends, hold down shift until i see the apple?

i did that a minute ago, took forever to boot up, when it finally did, it booted regular and just froze from all the windows again

i thought Mac OSX was supposed to be superior to windows, this doesnt make any sense why it would work like this.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

7. opeepingtomo thread starter macrumors regular

just booted into safe mode, same thing happens, all the windows fly open again i press the control option escape to bring up force quit and the only thing it allows me to do is "relaunch" finder, i relaunch it, and they all start popping open again

this is really aggravating, especially for a first time mac buyer on his first night, u would think restarting would fix something like this, or at least booting into safe mode would allow you to correct it

wtf, i dont get it

8. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Why not just wait it out? 20 minutes would have been shorter than waiting for anyone on the forums to say its your own fault and there's nothing you can do.

9. opeepingtomo thread starter macrumors regular

Why not just wait what out?
    There was literally at least 100 windows open, im a new user. I restarted the OS thinking a fresh reboot would bring me back to what i wanted, it didnt.

Even booting into safe mode, every one of those window still popped up, the only difference is it didnt freeze, basicly what i had to do was spend 10 min closing about 2 windows, then finally it started to speed up a bit and then i was finally able to close each window one by one.

That should not have to be done.

10. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Ok, I'll try and help. First to close a window the key command is Apple-W (command key is the apple key). If you hold Option and close a window, or press option-command-w it closes all open windows. And finally whatever it is you think doesn't really matter at this moment in time. Sure I would think the same thing, but obviously that isn't happening. Wait it out, not cause I think you should, but because it is probably the only thing you can do.

EDIT: Using the Option key should close all those windows in seconds, and should be semi-entertaining to sit back and watch. Then check out your System Preferences>Users>Login Items to see if all of those folders are in there. I don't know what you did, but this is happening every time you restart regardless of if you closed them or not? What did you do?

11. OdduWon macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

LoL, why not just use "command-w" to close the windows? you could just push it like 100 times, walk away, and come back after making some delicious sangwhiches :D
    A much tastier solution.

12. opeepingtomo thread starter macrumors regular

what i did is a command+A to select all, i was about to delete a mass load of folders, when i guess i hit enter on accident and they all opened up. There was a ton and i didnt feel like closing them all and was afraid it would freeze if i did anything else and was suprised it hadnt already, so i went ahead an restarted, and then the all started popping up again, but this time i couldnt do anything, it would just freeze

I finally got past it like i said by booting into safe mode and letting them all load up and then finally closing them

13. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

That is how Windows works, on Mac <enter> and <return> will not open anything. You must have hit Command-<down key> or Command-O. Either way, this is happening everytime you reboot?

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

...And is COMMAND-OPTION-W not closing them all?

15. opeepingtomo thread starter macrumors regular

Well windows doesnt work n the way that if i restarted all the windows wouldnt have reopened up after the restart, as i stated i got the issue taken care of by finally booting into safe mode, they still all opened but it didnt freeze, and then i closed them all

thanks for all of your help guys, im in no way saying that windows is a better OS, just saying i dont understand why something that i had opened before on accident and wanted closed kept reopening after restart

is that normal for the windows you have open to reopen after you restart?

16. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Beats me, I don't screw up like that ;)
    Welcome to Macintosh Tom.

17. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Yes...

So did Command + Option + W close your windows or not.

EDIT: I just searched for all the folders on my hard drive, selected about 4,000 of them, and hit Command + O. That was sure exciting...

18. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    That's what it's supposed to do... just normally you don't have three thousand windows open at once...:)

19. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

If he hit Exposé - All Windows, it might look something like this:

crazytalk.jpg

20. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Ha, that's great. You put the trend line in there I assume.

21. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

No it did that by itself. Lots of artifacts and slowness with 1000 windows open. Check out the Menu Bar clock - and the Dock is missing too!

22. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Hmm, I noticed the clock was gone. Gives some insight into the rhyme and reason when Expose is distributing windows, just never have enough windows open to see any kind of discernible pattern. Reminds me vaguely of the patterns I would see in chaotic fractals back in Computational Physics.

23. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No, but if you've added them to your login or startup items then it's understandable they'll open up accordingly.

24. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

If I have Finder windows open when I shut down or restart they're open when the computer boots up again.

25. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew