First Evidence of Fifth-Generation Apple TV and tvOS 11 Possibly Spotted in Developer Logs

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 16, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Just one month after Bloomberg reported that Apple is testing a new Apple TV capable of streaming high-resolution 4K video, which it said is codenamed "J105" and could launch as soon as this year, the first evidence of the rumored fifth-generation streaming box may have surfaced in developer logs.

[​IMG]

Firi Games, the developers behind arcade games Phoenix HD and Phoenix II, told us they have seen a single device identified as "AppleTV6,2" and running "tvOS 11.0" connect to Phoenix HD for Apple TV from the United States in its logs. The IP address falls within a range linked to Apple's headquarters in Cupertino.

The current Apple TV has a model identifier of AppleTV5,3, and Apple TV6,2 does not correspond with any released model.

While the details could be faked, similar evidence of an iPhone 5s running iOS 7 showed up in January 2013, around nine months before the device was announced, and the timeline is appropriate if Apple is indeed testing a new Apple TV. The current Apple TV, the first to run tvOS, launched in October 2015.

No other details surrounding a fifth-generation Apple TV are known at this point. In December 2015, hit-or-miss Taiwanese website DigiTimes, citing supply chain sources, claimed the next-generation Apple TV would feature a new CPU with dramatically improved performance, but that report has yet to materialize.

Last quarter, Apple financial chief Luca Maestri said Apple TV sales declined compared to the year-ago quarter, when the fourth-generation model launched. The product still remains something of a hobby for Apple, which reportedly shelved its rumored streaming TV service and only has its "toe in the water" with original content.

Article Link: First Evidence of Fifth-Generation Apple TV and tvOS 11 Possibly Spotted in Developer Logs

2. thisisnotmyname macrumors 6502a

thisisnotmyname

Nice, I know the Apple TV gets a lot of hate around here but I really like the ones I have.

3. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

I can't wait to see Apple take TV to the next level.

4. gim macrumors 6502

gim

Hope they include a full powered A10 and 3GB RAM. That should make some decent (casual) gaming performance.

5. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502

mcfrazieriv

PLEASE, TIM COOK, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD... MAKE THIS 4K.

6. Andres Cantu macrumors 68020

Andres Cantu

New Apple TV is nice and all, but I hope they discover references to new Macs as well.

7. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

could launch as soon as this year.....exciting, given its March.....

8. BlandUsername macrumors regular

BlandUsername

I think it has earned both respect and scorn. What it does it does well, What it doesn't do, it does at twice what the price the unit should be. :(

9. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68000

bladerunner2000

If it comes with another useless USB port that doesn't allow you to connect external devices, it'll be a total write off like the current Apple TV.

10. Peel macrumors 6502a

Peel

A10 was the 2016 chip. Seeing as this will likely be released later in 2017, it should have an A11 chip, as (likely) will the next gen iPhone and iPad. But yes, on the increased RAM.

11. jake1776 macrumors member

Question: so, my 4K TV is bottlenecking at 1080p because content is streaming through the AppleTV? Does that mean when I stream content through HULU or HBO or whatever WITHOUT the Apple TV connected, that I'm getting full 4K? Or is most content just 1080p anyway?

12. gim macrumors 6502

gim

That'd be great, but I don't think so. The current Apple TV also got the A8, even though the A9 was already released.

13. yockster macrumors newbie

this one is to be 4k

14. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

depends on the box/device you use to play that content. As far as Hulu when I had it last year it only goes up to 720p, netflix has some 4k content though, but you need a capable box to play the content. You want real 4K content, buy a 4k blu-ray player (xbox one S for example) and buy 4k Blu-rays

15. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

We've been a predominantly Apple household for the last 10 years and I've owned Apple TVs since the original. But over the past couple years, the Apple TV lost it's luster and fell far behind the competition, so I've since moved onto Chromecasts, FireTVs, and now an Nvidia Shield TV unit. The only advantage the Apple TV offers is access to iTunes content, something I stopped purchasing years ago do to Apple's draconian restrictions. No Amazon content, no Google Play content on the Apple TV either---content I can access on pretty much every other device made today. The Shield TV and Fire TVs are such far more capable devices, I can't see Apple including anything in a new Apple TV that would entice me back.

16. joueboy macrumors 6502a

What is exactly wrong with my 4th Gen AppleTV's hardware that cannot stream 4K? Is it underpowered? Some kind of chip that cannot drive this super huge video resolution? Why not just a software update for streaming 4K from Netflix, Youtube, Hulu and other services?

17. easy4lif macrumors regular

easy4lif

25% chance of release at wwdc
    75% at iphone event in sept

A10 SOC
    4k capable
    32 64 GB Storage

18. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

The problem with this is that Amazon won't create a player for it. So you'll have one of three scenarios:

1. User is a Prime user and doesn't own any iTunes stuff -- will never buy this
    2. User is an iTunes user and doesn't do Prime -- may buy this
    3. User has content in both places and is condemned to having two boxes (or at least TV + box) and secretly resents it -- me

If only Apple played nicely and did a webOS streamer so I could do everything from my TV like I do with Netflix and Prime today or wrote an app for Fire TV or paid Amazon to do one for Apple TV.

19. easy4lif macrumors regular

easy4lif

the HDMI connection is 1.4 minimum is 2.0

20. TheMountainLife macrumors member

Thats why I prefer to use the built in Hulu/Netflix/Amazon apps of my Sony 4k that runs Android TV. Though the content being 4k or not depends on the show you're watching I definitely see a difference over using my Apple TV.

21. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

The thing that always makes me return is the ease-of-use. A total technophobe can pickup the AppleTV remote and have it figured out pretty quick. That is not the case with any others. Chromecast requires the use of a smartphone, AndroidTV is a bit too complex and cumbersome. FireTV comes close, but isn't quite as polished and smooth as tvOS. At the end of the day, I'll choose the easier to use option every time.

22. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Exactly why the only iTunes video content I own is from digital codes that accompanied a physical blu ray disc I purchased (which I'd also convert to a digital copy capable of being played on any platform) or Disney Movies Anywhere (THIS is what every studio needs to do). Allows me to have access to all of my video content on any device.

23. vertical smile macrumors 65816

vertical smile

I currently own every ATV version since the original. Overall the ATV4 has been a pretty big disappointment to me. The bugs are still a problem, and the underwhelming selection of games has been one of the biggest disappointments to me.

As for things that you would expect the ATV4 to be good at, such as Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, the apps are not nearly as good as the much older ATV3 imo.

I can only hope that the ATV5 will give us the revolutionary experience that Apple promised us at the ATV4 launch.

24. tbayrgs, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017

tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I can appreciate ease of use as an important factor but if I can't get to my content, what's the benefit? And I'd argue that while tvOS is mostly straightforward (the TV app is a garbage fire that nearly ruins the experience), the Siri remote is the absolute worst amongst these type of devices.

I picked up the Shield TV mostly for my own experimentation but was pleasantly surprise by the unit. The remote is far more elegant, works far more reliably and doesn't require recharging, performance is blazingly fast, it's also a Chromecast and the OS itself is every bit as easy to navigate as tvOS. And as a cord cutter, the Shield offers great functionality the Apple TV just can't do. I can attach external storage (as simple as a large capacity flash drive) and the Shield immediately offers me DVR functionality for OTA content that its onboard Live TV app automatically integrates. My kids find using the Shield every bit as simple as using the Apple TV and consequently, it's now the primary box in our family room. In fact, I unplugged the Apple TV because it just kept turning on my TV, even after I'd been watching a different device and shut everything off.

25. vertical smile macrumors 65816

vertical smile

I have been saying for a while that Apple should have a tvOS version of Safari. That would open the door to unlimited content.

I would agree with you about the older ATVs, but not the ATV4. Buy an ATV3 and time how long it takes you for the second you open the box, to the second you are watching Netflix, then try the same with an ATV4.

As for ease of use, I purchased an ATV3 a while back for my technology-challenged parents, and I used the remote learning feature so they only needed their TV remote to use their Cable and the ATV3. They love it and find most of it to be easy to use.

Before the ATV4 launch, I was going to get my parents one for X-mas to replace their ATV3. Shortly after Launch, I quickly learned that the ATV4 is not nearly as simple to use as the ATV3. The bugs, app crashing, dumb Siri remote, and unfriendly IR controls would not work for my parents. So, no ATV4 for them.

I agree with you here, having to use a device to work a device is very inconvenient. I have a chromecast, but it just sits in a drawer.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 16, 2017 ---
    I disabled mine. I really don't understand the point of it.