first-gen iPhone launch day forensics

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Danraad, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Danraad macrumors member

Danraad

2. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

isnt that a obvious questions ?

There are a lot more at&t COR stores vs. Apple Store so I would have to assume the longer line will be in front of Apple

3. buddywalker macrumors newbie

The apple store will have a much longer line. More people would much rather enjoy the apple retail experience when purchasing their phone than deal with AT&T.

4. Danraad thread starter macrumors member

Danraad

Thats what i thought....

5. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Even so, not to mention the numerous amount of AT&T stores compared to Apple stores...

6. d.mcdgll macrumors newbie

7. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

given that at&t stores will be opening two hours earlier than apple stores, i actually think at&t stores will have the longer line.

8. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I think it will depend partly on whether Apple will be activating them in store. Will they? I haven't heard.

9. gibbz macrumors 68030

This isn't confirmed. Apple has not announced this. They are having store meetings on July 6th, and details will follow. I doubt they delay selling by 2 hours or so compared to AT&T.

10. lorinserbenz macrumors newbie

Waste of time to get up early, there will be PLENTY of Iphones available ALL DAY LONG.
    Apple has had well over a month to build a boat load of phones.

A terrible economy and the only significant change is the speed increase is not going to drive people to upgrade or change carriers. Not to mention a increase in the rate plan...

11. gibbz macrumors 68030

Apple will have much longer lines. Better retail experience, fewer locations, etc. I have the feeling that lorinserbenz does in that there will be plenty of iPhones.

12. kyleaa macrumors regular

I would imagine that AT&T would have shorter lines. It reminds me of a quote from the Wired blog post about AT&T's iReady video:

"One useful feature of the video is that it shows the interior of a typical AT&T store, so you can acclimate yourself to the horrible orange-accented, indirect-lit environment before going there."

13. Rita99 macrumors newbie

Reply from Rita onvon

Hi guy,as I think of cours apple store!!!why????no reason

14. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Couldn't agree more. There will be plenty to go around

15. ec51 macrumors 6502

If apple is going to be activating in-store, there goes the usefulness of their walking credit card machines which made buying last year soooo easy.

16. shecky Guest

shecky

first-gen iPhone launch day forensics

i am trying to remember accurately, and i cannot quite recall how it all went down last year - i seem to remember most of the apple stores had huge lines, while AT+T stores had few if any. I also seem to remember that any stores that ran out were replenished in a day or two with plenty of stock available for weeks after launch.

??

17. robhedin macrumors regular

In Tampa, the AT&T stores had limited stock and sold out quickly (i.e. within the first hour and a half or so).

The Apple store had plenty of stock and didn't sell out until sometime late Sunday.

Both types of stores had lines the night before.

rob.

18. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Locally, the AT&T stores had 20-50 phones and sold out in an hour, the Apple store had enough stock to last through the weekend.

All stores in the US were sold out by Monday morning and it took a few days for more to come in. So there was no ample supply for the first few weeks. If you didn't get one launch weekend, it wasn't very easy to find one for the next week or so. By mid-July they were readily available though. The iPhone inventory tracker on Apple's site showed red dots for every store in the country for days at a time.

19. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

I had no trouble walking into a local Apple store on Tuesday after launch day and buying one.

Took 5 mins with zero waiting.

20. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Of the couple of O2 stores i've been to recently, they've all said they had a decent stock room supply, backed up with regular stock replenishes. They never sold out.

21. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Then Apple's inventory indicator lied :) There were numerous articles that Monday about how all stores were sold out, and there were pretty much daily posts about people checking the site and posting which cities/stores indicated they'd have stock in the morning. That's why phones were going for ridiculous amounts on eBay, even when they weren't unlockable yet.

Just curious as to which store, since your location says DC suburbs. I live in between DC and Baltimore and I checked all the MD stores for stock using the online checker, but didn't check VA ones. I was only able to get 1 on launch day, so I had to wait a few weeks before finding a second phone.

22. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

The local AT&T store I went to had 60 phones.. they were all gone. Some people lined up the night before.. I was number 25 in line and I got there at 4pm the day of.

I'll probably check the line at 6 am on friday morning.. if there is a line, I'll stay and wait.

23. JAdmiral macrumors member

Better get there sooner. Rumor is that it'll go on sale at 8:00am.

24. acousticbiker macrumors 6502

I agree that AT & T stores are likely to have shorter lines but others have mentioned that they may have less stock...I guess many stores ran out pretty on first iPhone launch day last year. I won't be able to get to either store until I'm done with work at about 6p...would an Apple store be more likely to have remaining stock at that point in the day?