Resolved First Gen Mini Still Worth Buying?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by KUguardgrl13, Apr 5, 2014.

1. KUguardgrl13, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014

KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

So I found a used 1st gen 16gb iPad Mini wifi on a Facebook buy & sell group for $250 with a case. I talked the guy down to $210. He bought it new about 5 months ago. Are these still worth buying? I'd prefer retina and a higher capacity, but I'm on a bit of a tight budget as a college student.

I'd basically use it for Netflix and iTunes movies, some light gaming apps (Angry Birds maybe, My Little Pony, etc), web browsing in Safari, email and iMessage, and maybe note taking or light word processing. Also maybe e-textbooks if I can find them. I have my rMBP for more heavy duty schoolwork and web browsing.

I'm meeting the guy tonight, so the question of whether to buy it or not are kind of out :rolleyes: Just wondering if the jump to buy was worth it. I can probably always resell whenever the retina models are in the refurbished store. New is probably too expensive for me.

2. madrich macrumors regular

madrich

IMHO: Yes.

I placed a bid on eBay for a brand new 16g iPad Mini with Retina display. When I received it and opened the box, I determined that it was not a Retina display. The Seller made an innocent mistake. I decided to keep it after the Seller rebated me $100. It works great and personally I am not sure the retina display makes too much difference on a iPad Mini.

3. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

For your use-case, yes. I'm using the first gen mini now and it runs apps you've outlined perfectly. PDFs are not that intensive (save for the slow open time for huge pdfs). Throw in MS office or iWork with a logitech slim keyboard and you've got a good device that can last you about 3 years*

I suggest you talk him down to $200 flat if possible.

*Only if you want to keep up to date based on iOS 7.1, iOS 8 and backward compatible apps once iOS 9 is out.

4. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Thanks for the advice! I hope to upgrade sooner than three years once I've graduated and am working full time.

I offered $200 without the case and he came back with $210 and throwing in the case. I figure an extra $10 isn't that much, and I can try to sell the case if I don't want it. My boyfriend has a Griffin Survivor which he doesn't use that I might take. Or I might go naked.

5. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I say its not worth buying. At 160 ppi its just not worth it.

6. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Meh, I have an rMBP and an iPhone 5 but also a non-retina MBP and an iPod Classic. Sure retina is nice, but it's a little too expensive for me unless someone is selling it for cheap.

7. Rodster macrumors 68040

I'm thinking the same. We don't know if in 6 months Apple will drop the 1st gen mini and replace it with the rMini as the entry level device?

8. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't, but only because I do notice the difference in display. My relatives still use the first gen and it's a fine machine. Just depends on your preferences. There aren't any huge limitations in its hardware.

9. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Well I bought it, and the guy had reset it. Brought it home, and it's still tied to his Apple ID. Trying to help him go through iCloud to remove the lock.

Here's hoping I'm not locked out of my $210 investment :( This is what I get for assuming restored is truly restored. The seller doesn't seem malicious. Just seems like he doesn't know about iCloud and the extra security.

10. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Phew! Finally got the iCloud thing sorted! Now I get to play with my new toy :)

11. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

I had a similar experience with a 4s, the seller wasn't savvy about properly restoring, I had to explain the process to him via email and just trust the deal didn't go sideways. Phew! It didn't. Congrats. I own a mini and wouldn't mind a retina, but it's still a sweet device and for $210…well, you'll see.

12. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

The first gen mini is definitely worth the buy IMO. You can find cheap used Mini's out there, which at the end of the day will get the job done.

If your concerned with it not being retina, then of course refrain from buying one. I switch back and forth from my Retina iPad and a non-retina Mini, although the screen difference is present, I still continue to use both.

13. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

When it comes to earlier gen iPads, the price makes all the difference. If you get a truly good deal then it's a good buy. If you paid too much then you may as well have put your money towards a new model. Seems like you did fine.

All set. :)

14. Abba 701 macrumors regular

Yes we don't know if ios 8 will be compatible with it.

15. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

No. As it is a mini iPad 2. Its internal is from 2011. Not to mention the screen PPI (163ppi) which is the same as the iPhone 3GS.
    The rMini is based on the iPad Air (5th gen.) i.e. 3 generations ahead of the first mini.

16. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

its actually a lot harder to tell the difference between the non-retina and retina iPads. the first time i went to see the retina version in the apple store i was on the non-retina without even noticing. i would say go for it.

17. rkuo macrumors 6502a

If you like buying obsolete technology, go for it. The mini retina is going to have a much longer useful lifespan.

18. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

It was worth it for me. Thankfully Apple has a pretty good track record supporting "obsolete" technology. :apple:

19. huntinguy macrumors newbie

I have a MBA iphone 5 and iPad mini. I love the mini. I really don't see any issue with the non retina. Go for it. That's a good deal!

20. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Hate to say it but obsolete technology applies to just about every device out there that's six months old or older. iPads keep working long after new models come out. It's only truly obsolete when it fails to perform any basic task. Long time to go before that happens. Even the iPad 2 still has millions of examples in heavy use right now and those are ancient as far as devices go.

21. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

This is true.

I think back to my first iPhone, the 3G in 2009. I've had other iPhones and galaxy phones since then. They have better resolution screens, better processors, better cameras etc. However for the basic things I do with my phone, I.e web browsing, reading and replying to email, listening to music, playing games and watching videos etc the 3G could and still can do all of that.

22. AppleWarMachine macrumors 65816

AppleWarMachine

23. Ezhik macrumors regular

Ezhik

$200 for a used and a last generation tablet? I really don't think that's a good idea. I know I'm gonna get in trouble for this, but you could get a new Nexus 7 or a Dell Venue 8 Pro - both cost $230, maybe less if you find the right shop.

Edit: whoops, I'm too late. Well, enjoy your iPad then!

24. AT101ET macrumors 6502

It depends what you want it for really.
    For what you described I'd say go for it if you're not tempted by anything other than Apple. If you're looking for something better, try browsing around for the 2nd Gen. It is better and will also be more compatible with apps further down the line :)

25. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

It's not retina, but it seems to be working well for what I want to do with it :). If the rMini or whatever comes next becomes affordable for me in the future, I may upgrade.