First Generation G4 to Newest OS X ???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by matthew1114, Jun 5, 2009.

1. matthew1114 macrumors newbie

Jun 5, 2009
    My fiancee is convinced that if I add the newest OS X software to my computer that it will run much smoother and faster. It does have the first OS X package and runs rather slow most of time. I would think that the newer OS X would just slow down an older computer even more.

Any answers?
  2. spinnerlys Guest

Sep 7, 2008
    forlod bygningen
    If you mean Leopard by newest OS X, then be aware, that Mac OS X 10.5 needs at least 867MHz to run, but some have managed to run it on slower machines.
    I would advise you to go to Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) at maximum, as it wouldn't strain the G4 so hard.
    I ran Tiger on my iBook, and it was wonderful, but as soon as I upgraded to Leopard on that 1GHz G4 with 1.25GB RAM, it ran much slower, and the fan started to kick in more often.

You can also have a look at, for lsiting of the maximum OS one Mac will support.
    Here is an example of the first G4 iMac:
  3. toolbox macrumors 68020

Oct 6, 2007
    Australia (WA)
    I was able to get it running on my powerbook G4 running at 867 and it's was struggling even after upgrading to a faster hard disk and extra memory. It still was unable to handle leopard.

Tiger well that runs perfectly.
  4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

Oct 29, 2006
    ~119W 34N
    Are you talking about a first gen G4 PowerBook or PowerMac? In either case, the first gens were far below the minimum requirements for Leopard.

I had an 867 G4 PowerMac with Leopard server running fine, but wasn't taxing it much. I now have a 933 PowerMac, with better GPU and more RAM - 10.5 runs fine on it.

My sister has a 1GHz Al PowerBook running 10.5 - it seems to run fine, but obviously has some trouble handling hi-res YouTube and some Flash. That's not a PowerMac, though. They will handle 10.5 better than the PowerBook.

If you have a PowerBook 667 or earlier, I wouldn't bother trying to put 10.5 on it. If it needs an upgrade, go with 10.4, Tiger.