First Hands-On Impressions of 27-Inch Retina iMac: Sharp Image Quality, Great Viewing Angles

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 16, 2014.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

After today's media event that saw the introduction of new iPads and new Macs, members of the press were invited to experience all of Apple's new products. Several sites have posted first impressions of Apple's 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K Display, which we've summarized to give users an overview of the company's newest desktop and its ultra high-resolution screen.

[​IMG]
    Engadget says that the new 27-inch iMac has a "stunning display" with great viewing angles, and was left impressed with the all-in-one's image quality even at a resolution of 5120 x 2880. Brightness is said to be "level throughout" with no bleeding. The website also praised the extra screen real-estate that the new 27-inch Retina iMac will allow for video editing.

TechCrunch says that the iMac's display shows "full resolution photos with zoomed crops that look better than most originals coming out of the camera" and credits Apple for fitting such a panel into the same tapered design. The screen is noted as being a "huge step up" from the one found on the Retina MacBook Pro. Overall, the new 27-inch iMac is described to be "the future of desktop computing" and is even said to be right up there with Apple's Mac Pro in terms of choices for power users.

[​IMG]
    Ars Technica praises the new 27-inch iMac's color, contrast, and viewing angles, and thinks that the faster Radeon M290X or M295X GPUs with 2GB and 4GB of RAM respectively are solid upgrades over the Nvidia GeForce GT 700M GPUs found in Apple's non-Retina iMacs. However, the website did take issue with the desktop's price for what it offers internally:
    Finally, The Verge calls the desktop's new 5K display "incredible" with a crisp, sharp and accurate picture despite it being a bit reflective. The website notes that it initially worried about performance issues with the iMac now powering an ultra high-resolution screen, but a demonstration proved that performance "doesn't seem to be an issue."

The new 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display is shipping today. The base model starts at $2,499 and comes with a 3.5 GHz quad-core Intel i5 processor, AMD Radeon R9 M290X graphics processor, 8GB of RAM, and a 1TB Fusion Drive. Build-to-order configurations can also be outfitted with a 4.0 GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor and AMD Radeon R9 M295X graphics processor.

Article Link: First Hands-On Impressions of 27-Inch Retina iMac: Sharp Image Quality, Great Viewing Angles

2. bpeeps macrumors 68030

bpeeps

I want and need this in my life. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with my specced out 2011 iMac. Guess I'll wait to see how the screens fare given the problems rMBP consumers had.

3. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

waiting to see how it does after some consumer testing then I'll get one :D

4. iLoveiTunes macrumors 6502

5. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know how many external monitors can be connected to it, and what are the max resolutions? And where is the VESA mount option??

6. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Ditto. I have a specced out 2011 27" iMac. Not sure if I NEED this upgrade but I sure want it. :)

7. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

My problem is that I bought a 2011 iMac 4 years ago that was stolen last year. I had it VESA wall mounted after removing the stand. With the insurance money I bought a new iMac last fall, the VESA mount version. Problem is if I want to resell this machine and upgrade now, it is much harder to do.

Instead of a foot that I can put back on and sell to just about anyone, I have to find a VESA user as a buyer or take an even bigger hit.

I don't replace my machine every year like some, minimizing the hit and getting the latest and greatest. I usually go 3-4 years but still recover a decent sum to offset the cost of the new machine. Much harder with the change they made a couple years ago.

8. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

I wonder if the GPU will be sufficient in the long run? I am cautious of AMD since my 2011 MacBook Pro died. Still, this is a different series so maybe these machines will be up for it.

9. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Not enough money and too much sense for me to get one. Nice computer though.

10. tdream macrumors 65816

Hmm I already have 34um95 so.... idk

Seems like wasted resolution imo, for that size.

11. Col4bin macrumors 68000

Col4bin

Nice! Just in time for my planned upgrade in the new year. :cool:

12. Atlantico macrumors 6502

Atlantico

That display is incredible :eek::eek:

Good choice to go with the AMD R9 M290X and R9 M295X GPUs, now Apple's entire new line is moving to AMD GPUs.

Apple never bets on a dark horse, which means AMD's roadmap in GPUs looks rosy indeed. :cool:

Apple is moving to an exclusive AMD/Intel combo for it's desktops and probably laptops as well.

13. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

You mean this one?

14. borneo76 macrumors member

Thats really cool new Retina iMac......i want one :cool:

15. Candlelight macrumors 6502a

Candlelight

As with the 13" MacBook Pro I'd like to see a 21" version of this.

16. macosxuser01 macrumors 6502a

macosxuser01

So why can't I use iMac for display only? If I had Mac Pro I would just buy this just for the 5K display

17. skellener macrumors 68000

skellener

So where's the 5k Apple monitor for the Mac Pro?

18. HenryDJP macrumors 603

I'm sure that's in the cards...unless the iMac was intended to be just that. You can always get a 4K 3rd party monitor. It doesn't have to be Apple's does it?

19. iChrist macrumors 65816

iChrist

Mac Pro cannot power 5k display with weak Display Port 1.2.

No mac can power 5k so ZERO chance of 5k Thunderbolt display coming.

:apple:

20. zbarvian macrumors 68010

You guys are a bit overboard if you want this as average consumers. For professional video and photography editing, sure, but there is absolutely no other content that will look good on this screen for a long time to come.

21. Serban Suspended

a 21.5" 4K iMac will be release next year for sure

22. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Looks very tempting. Must resist, must resist!

23. Sandstorm macrumors 6502a

Sandstorm

From the videos and pictures it seems MORE reflective than the current non-retina iMac models... Could this be true? :eek:

24. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp