Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Homebuilding company KB Home today announced "the nation's first HomeKit-enabled community," which comes with the opportunity for buyers to build homes with Apple's HomeKit platform integrated from the get-go. A report last month brought news that Apple was working with homebuilders to install HomeKit and the Apple ecosystem of connected devices into properties at the beginning of construction.

Now the Promenade at Communications Hill in San Jose will be the first community of homes to include a HomeKit smart package that buyers can purchase. Following the debut in San Jose, the packages will also be available for curious home buyers at KB Home's Magnolia at Patterson Ranch community.

homekit-homes-800x265.jpg
A few exterior models of the homes in San Jose

As detailed in the original report, the smart homes utilize HomeKit at the beginning of a home's construction to install products like lights, window blinds, garage doors, doorbells, and more at added cost, so the homeowners don't have to add them gradually over time. In one of the test homes displayed in Alameda, California, a total of $30,000 worth of smart products fueled the smart package.
A model home showcasing how KB homeowners can simply and securely monitor and control Apple HomeKit-compatible accessories, such as lighting, door locks and other security features, and more, conveniently from their iPhone, iPad or Apple Watch, is now open at Promenade at Communications Hill.

Designed with today's tech-savvy buyer in mind, Promenade at Communications Hill offers convenient city living close to San Jose's shopping, dining, nightlife and cultural attractions, as well as to the area's major Silicon Valley employers. The community also provides easy access to Interstates 880, 680 and U.S. Highway 101.
KB Home said that the plans available at the Promenade community range in size from 2,148 to 2,178 square feet, with the option to choose up to five bedrooms, four baths, and a two-car garage. Pricing on the properties begin in the low-$900,000s, which seemingly doesn't include the smart package expenses.

Article Link: First HomeKit-Enabled 'Smart Home Packages' Open to Homebuyers in San Jose

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Really really bad idea. Apple cans technologies all the time. Welcome to the disposable home. Now fans can not only drink the kook aid, they can live in it.
the good thing about switches, lights and appliances is that while you can use siri and your phone you can still use the normal switches on them as well.

-------------

$900k houses so $30k is not too bad especially if its fully stacked with applainces/lights/swtiches/fans/a/c. doesn't seem that much

morcutt11

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2015
USA
I wonder what they are using as a central hub and switches? I have a Wink hub with z-wave switches at my home but Wink is stubbornly dragging on implementing HomeKit. They just released a new version of the hub and HomeKit still isn't an option.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Funny, my first thought was that it's kinda cheap for the area...
It's about right for my area. I bought a slightly bigger row house in my city (bigger in terms of sq ft) and the price was also slightly bigger. The house I bought was built in 1910 that used gas lamps when built. Unfortunately they are not HomeKit Enabled.

Reactions: BerMuc

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
I am in the process of moving from a home that was upgraded with automation for lighting and other sensors. We did this over a 15 year period and initially used X-10 and then replaced most of that with insteon and a ISY hub. I am seriously considering stripping it all out when we put the house up for sale because 1) the new owners are probably not going to understand or appreciate most of it, and 2) the "owner's manual" for maintaining and operating the dozens of devices is in my head and I'm not inclined to spend two weeks of my time to write it all down.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Something is very wrong when housing just under a million is considered a budget option.
While I essentially agree with the sentiment behind that, it's basically the market system at work.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Really really bad idea. Apple cans technologies all the time. Welcome to the disposable home. Now fans can not only drink the kook aid, they can live in it.
Exactly why I haven't bought into smart home stuff. I've been buying luminaires that have remote control accessible settings, but I refuse to spend money on tech that will be dropped in just a few years time. Eventually it will settle and then they'll get my money.

l3it3r

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Hagerstown, MD
Funny, my first thought was that it's kinda cheap for the area...
Me too.

I've only ever had one home in that price range, and it was 30-45 minutes outside of DC (in traffic - 15 without). Although, my house was about three times as large as these.. I guess the prices in California really are nuts lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.