First HP, now RIM

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mac.World, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Playbook slashed by $150 at Best Buy. Domino effect in full force. Samsung, Acer ane Asus will follow suit, just watch.

2. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

Android tablets and the Playbook have no business being in the same price range as the iPad. Not with their pathetic library of tablet specific apps.

3. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

The playbook at $199 would be cool, or better yet $149. At $449 I'd rather get an original iPad which works better and use the $50 left over on apps.

4. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

And people hate Apple for their anti-competition.. Well ladies and gentlemen.. Thanks to Apples competition these providers are finally having to lower the price of tablets. Normal tablets should of never been at the $400-$600 price range minus the iPad to begin with.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

OVERSTATING THE DRAMA.

Rim playbook 64GB for 549, and a $50 saving on other models is hardly HP announcement of complete discontinuation of all its hardware and a sell off of existing units for $99....

I've seen Amazon sales that are more significant. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

6. Mac.World thread starter macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Don't think it's overstating anything. This is a precursor to the eventual end of the Playbook. I give RIM 6 months to dump it, much like it is doing with it's employees.

7. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

The Playbook's been dead for a while. Time to take off life support any day now.

8. rm2092 macrumors 6502

rm2092

Look I have a iPad and Playbook and alot of other Apple products, the Playbook software is much better then the iPad and the multitasking is way better. Spend a day or so with the Paybook and if you dont keep your comments to your self untill you give it a try ?

9. OSMac macrumors 65816

10. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

The Playbook could become a great tablet if RIM had waited some months to bring it to market. It doesn't even have a proper email client and PIM applications! Who would want to buy such a device? I have the impression that RIM will go out of business in the next five years if they continue like that. They have the enterprise business of course which is very lucrative, but at some point they will have problems there as well.

11. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Typical Apple mentality. Apps make the device. Bare Android, with no apps at all, is still a great device. Not sure about Playbook though, only had few minutes to play with it.

12. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

+1

Android is pretty good but lacks an ecosystem. I used BB Playbook for about 20 min, it was pretty okay but the same problem - no apps. The conclusion is if an OS is not able to form a community, its definitely going to fail.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Call me crazy but there's quite a difference between a manufacturer selling a product at a loss (HP) vs. a retailer discounting a slow selling product.

14. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

Did I say bare Android was junk? However why should one pay $500 for a tablet that lacks an ecosystem designed for it?

15. hcho3 macrumors 68030

50-150 dollars difference is not good enough for me to justify Android or Blackberry playbook.
    iPads hold very nice value even after a year or longer.

Other tablets do not.

Tablets are not as necessary as smart phones. Tablet is kind of luxury item.
    It's nice to have, but you do not need it.

I will buy blackberry tablet if they can lower the price down to 199 dollars or lower. Other than that, don't bother.

16. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Remember how the technically worse VHS won the format war over Betamax By having the largest collection of films.

Same goes for many things I'm afraid, being the best does not mean winning.

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No ****, right? The ****ing sensationalist title is annoying. My dog poop bags were on sale for the same percentage discount ... guess they're headed for demise.
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: excessive use of eye rolls because it's Friday.

18. soco macrumors 68030

soco

US Weekly:

"MacRumors member, jessica. seen using exorbitant amounts of eye-roll smiley faces Friday. Seen leaving Anger Management classes."

;) :p

19. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

It's an overstatement until the Playbook is actually dead. Your delusions of psychic powers aren't that interesting. :p

The Playbook probably will eventually die I'm afraid, but your "news" is rather uninteresting at the moment.

20. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

So where exactly can one get a good rim at a reduced price?
    For those who have never experienced a rim before, maybe such a move could open up a world of new enjoyment.

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

There are plenty of people on MacRumors who enjoy rimming. In fact if they could they would rim all day.... ;)

22. Mac.World thread starter macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Funny, since I called the death of the Touchpad a couple of weeks before it happened on this very forum. Playbook will be in the discount bin for under 200 within 6 months as RIM abandones it completely to focus strictly on bringing their phones back into popularity... But will also fail there until the co-CEO knuckleheads running RIM are fired.

23. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I only care about the iPad, it does all I want it to do.

24. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

The problem, is that most of the iPad's competitors, really don't want to be in this space. They're here, because they feel they they must be, because the iPad has such huge traction.
    I get the feeling that most of them are blindly following, in the mere hope they garner some sales, hence Samsung's assault a few days ago, with so many different sizes. Heck, they even announced a Windows 7, Wacom-enabled tablet!
    Samsung has no idea what the consumer wants, so they're throwing the whole lot up against the wall, to see what sticks.

----------

I still laugh, when I think of RIM launching the PlayBook as a business-grade tablet, sans native email & calendaring, but with Need For Speed installed.

25. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Oh boy... :D