First Impressions of Photos for OS X: 'Vast Improvement' Over iPhoto

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 5, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following the release of the first OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 beta to developers this afternoon, the embargo has lifted for media outlets to publish their first impressions and hands-on reviews of the all-new Photos for OS X app. Below is a roundup of some of the more interesting comments and opinions about Photos for OS X, which combines iPhoto and Aperture into one for OS X Yosemite.

[​IMG]
    The Wall Street Journal describes Photo for OS X as a significant improvement for users in the Apple ecosystem, adding that the app is less confusing to use than iPhoto thanks to an improved iCloud-based approach. It also found Photos for OS X to have snappier performance than iPhoto based on the Apple-provided demo notebook.
    Wired was also impressed with Photos for OS X, describing the software as a "vast improvement" over iPhoto and praising its new built-in photo editing tools. It believes that, while some professionals might opt for Adobe Lightroom and other tools, Photos for OS X is an ideal photo management and editing solution for most Mac users.
    [​IMG]
    Even further praise of Photos for OS X was provided by Re/code, which described the software as a "huge improvement" over iPhoto with easy-to-use editing tools and seamless iCloud syncing. Its hands-on impressions found Photos for OS X to be lacking some advanced editing tools found in Aperture, however, noting that some users might opt for professional software.
    The Verge went hands on with Photos for OS X and walked away impressed, noting that it handles large photo libraries much better alongside more powerful photo editing, sharing and syncing options. As with other publications, it found Photos for OS X to be more suitable for beginners than professionals.
    Yahoo Tech claims that much of Photos for OS X will be a familiar experience for most Mac users, noting that power users will be impressed with the several photo parameters that can be adjusted. The review finds that Photos for OS X gives up some iPhoto features, however, including flags, star ratings, events, round-trip editing in other apps and sorting albums by keyword, title and rating. Many professional options from Aperture are also missing.
    Overall, Photos for OS X appears to be a significant improvement for users migrating from iPhoto, but a step down in functionality for those coming from Aperture. A number of other publications have shared first impressions and hands-on reviews, including CNET, Engadget, Macworld, Mashable and SlashGear. Photos for OS X will be available as a public beta soon ahead of a Spring launch as a free update on OS X Yosemite.

Article Link: First Impressions of Photos for OS X: 'Vast Improvement' Over iPhoto

2. newagemac macrumors 68020

Absolutely loving the new Photos situation with Apple devices! The best way to explain it is it's like IMAP for photos.

3. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

can't wait! any estimate for when 10.10.3 will be out?

4. spyguy10709, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015

spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

Almost makes up for the discontinuation of Aperture...

Almost.

5. KylePowers, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015

KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Huh, pretty cool.

iPhoto has always been the most confusing thing about OS X for me. I just don't understand how to properly utilize it, or why it's so clunky. It always seemed so un-Apple to me.

Edit: Evidently iMovie is worse. I've never even tried using it, but I believe you fellow Mac-users.

6. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

Will it make me want to uninstall Aperture? That's the big question for me.

7. tarasis macrumors 6502a

tarasis

I'm hoping this will finally have some native duplicate detection rather than needing third party apps.

8. ra4oasis macrumors 6502

ra4oasis

I'm cautiously excited about this. iPhoto has been slow, clunky, and unintuitive for a long time. My wife particularly hates it, but wants an integrated solution, so hopefully Photos will do the trick.

9. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

What about Faces? I know some folks, including myself, who have put a decent amount of time in getting face tagging to be accurate, and would hate for that feature to go away - especially thinking about facebook integration.

10. macintologist macrumors 6502

Ugh, FINALLY. iPhoto has always been such a dog.

11. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

Does it still support Face tagging / recognition? I still use that feature in iPhoto just to filter my photos when I am looking for someone in particular.

12. mikemch16 macrumors member

Faces is still an option in Photos.

13. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

Looks more than acceptable for the average user. Well done Apple.

14. Jacquesvw macrumors regular

It would be nice if they can add a maps "tab" that show the locations where photos were taken.

----------

Yes, I agree.

EDIT: I see it's still available under "Albums"

15. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

I see a lot of conversation about "cloud syncing", iCloud, etc. in this post. What about those of us who do not want our photos in the cloud. Will the traditional USB sync/drag and drop/local file storage framework of iPhoto still be allowed? Will it be prominent?

16. ButteryScrollin macrumors 6502a

I would say sometime in April, probably around the same time as that new Air.

17. macUser2007 macrumors 65832

iPhoto was unreliable and one of the worst major photo apps, so "vast improvement" over it doesn't say much.

Being locked to iCloud, which is also a very poor cloud service is not a great benefit, either. Does anyone know if iPhoto works with other cloud services?

18. ButteryScrollin macrumors 6502a

Nope. Application and Library stay intact.

19. afsnyder macrumors 65816

I'm sure it will. If it doesn't then.. well it just wouldn't make any sense. I'd be completely shocked if they don't let you sync photos manually.

20. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I hope there is a way to backup the cloud locally. I would hate to lose my photos or have a corrupted library.

21. decimortis macrumors 6502a

decimortis

I saw it briefly as an organization option in the video posted above. So hopefully that means it will all transfer over seamlessly.

D.

22. xARx2 macrumors member

xARx2

I, for one, am welcome to this new path forward.

23. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

Lightroom & CaptureOne kick Apertures butt, so Apple abandons the Pro market completely, ignores even the Prosumer market, and creates an app for teenagers posting selfies on Facebook.

And then charges a subscription fee to use it...

okidoki then.

24. Tike1994 macrumors member

Tike1994

Question/Suggestion: I used to have all users in my household (2 adults, 2 kids) signed into our main iCloud account on all devices. This allowed all pictures taken by the family to be automatically downloaded to our iMac for backup/preservation by Aperture/iPhoto.

When Family Sharing came out with iOS8, we all logged into our seperate iCloud accounts and now only one user has their photos automatically brought into Aperture on our iMac.

They need to have a way to enable Family Sharing in this new Photos app so all the pictures a family of users take are preserved in one place. Of course, I'm sure Apple would like me to buy extra iCloud photo storage for 4 users instead of 1 :)

Any thoughts?

25. ButteryScrollin macrumors 6502a

Faces is still there.

Unfortunately, you can't edit the drop pin of locations of photos. and you can't see all pictures one map like you could with iPhoto.