Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jodiuh

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009
I guess that's a start. But it requires me to let iTunes manage my music. What it really needs is the ability to select a folder, ANY folder, and as many folders as you like. I don't like having to change the way I store my media just for a media player. It needs to be like Picasa and allow you to pick folders for "watching."

Edit: Lifehacker comments mentioned itunes library updater and it it works great!!

So, Jodiuh, are you saying that you've also bought a Touch as well? You mentioned you've "had an iPod touch for less than 30 mintues...", did you take the Zune back and exchange it?
I did. I took the sucker back to Wal-Mart yesterday, went across the street and picked up a 3G iPod touch for $279.99 w/ a 90 day warranty! The Zune HD only had a 15 day return policy from Wally world.

I spent nearly the entire day on the web and dling apps, (35 of them), Alive4Ever freaking OWNS. Also, I can use the free RSS reader app to check on my sites! So I guess the apps did influence my decision, hehe.

Browsing experience:
The Zune HD refused to allow me readable good times on hardforum.com, a site I frequent often. The touch has no such issues. It's also easily twice as fast, if not more so in some situations. Also, the wifi never drops like on the Zune HD. And being able to check a link from your email on the device makes things very convenient.

Sound quality:
It's better than the 2G, but not quite as good as the new Zune. But it's easily close enough that I had a great time listening to music last night. The new Angel's and Demon's OST actually sounded a bit more detailed and clear on the iPod. But it's definitely a more laid back, neutral sound. I feel the soundstage isn't quite as large either.

Getting around:
Everything's faster on the touch. Also, I find myself constantly tweaking everything and looking at every detail. W/ the Zune, I would just deal w/ too high a volume, or stop looking to change the track to something else because it just wasn't simple enough. I still sort of felt like I was dealing w/ my older Sony NWZ and it's clunky navigation system. Having the ability to swing the album art around and see a list of NUMBERED tracks as opposed to attempting to hit a 5mm space so you can go up one, then another, then around the corner...just to find what your looking for is just a bit too much IMO. The Zune HD has an artsy menu system, but functional...it is not.

Peace!

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Jodiuh: Damn, I'm surprised that you flipped to the Touch. I thought the sound quality had you won over on the Zune for sure.

Jodiuh

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009
I really don't want the Zune HD. What I'd like's a $99 device from MS that plays only music w/a very tiny screen, comes packed w/ 8GB, and the same sound quality. I have zero desire to browse, watch a video, or play a game on that smallish screen. The .2 on the touch really adds up. And it definitely does not sound like the 2G. Something's changed in that device. I'd love to know what they put in there, but it's got a better low end now.

Remember, I don't have an iPhone. So this thing's a revelation to me. Have you played Alive4Ever?! For the same price I have a device that not only does music, but also browses and games VERY well. I'll take the sound quality hit for that.

EDIT: I'm glad to see Engadget did a much more thorough review than the rushed and misguied slapstick job Gizmodo whipped up. They managed to hit on everything I felt while using the device over the past 2 days. Specifically...

"Additionally, the performance on page loading and rendering wasn't even in the same league as most webkit-based mobile options (Android browser, iPod touch / iPhone, Pre)."

"Compared to the touch or iPhone audio, the Zune HD seemed to have a wider stereo field and deeper, more resonant low end."

I could not agree more.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
I really don't want the Zune HD. What I'd like's a $99 device from MS that plays only music w/a very tiny screen, comes packed w/ 8GB, and the same sound quality. I have zero desire to browse, watch a video, or play a game on that smallish screen. The .2 on the touch really adds up. And it definitely does not sound like the 2G. Something's changed in that device. I'd love to know what they put in there, but it's got a better low end now.

Remember, I don't have an iPhone. So this thing's a revelation to me. Have you played Alive4Ever?! For the same price I have a device that not only does music, but also browses and games VERY well. I'll take the sound quality hit for that.

EDIT: I'm glad to see Engadget did a much more thorough review than the rushed and misguied slapstick job Gizmodo whipped up. They managed to hit on everything I felt while using the device over the past 2 days. Specifically...

"Additionally, the performance on page loading and rendering wasn't even in the same league as most webkit-based mobile options (Android browser, iPod touch / iPhone, Pre)."

"Compared to the touch or iPhone audio, the Zune HD seemed to have a wider stereo field and deeper, more resonant low end."

I could not agree more.

Hmmm....now you've got me wondering if I should return mine and give the 3rd Gen Touch a try. I didn't like the sound of the 2nd gen I had, but if they've changed the sound processing in it, I might try it. I wonder if they've done to the 3rd Gen Touch what the apparently did to the 5th gen Nano. I've got both a 4th gen and the new 5th gen Nano, and to me, the sound quality is far superior on the newer model than the old.

Let me ask you this...if you already had an iPhone or Touch (I have the 3GS), would you then keep the Zune for it's sound quality, if the money spent on it wasn't a concern?

Jodiuh

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009
Probably not. For the simple reason of managing 2 PMP's that require 2 different desktop apps. The new touch sounds quite good and even better than the Zune for classical music.

I'd love to hear what you think, but isn't a 3GS the same thing? Any idea what they put in that? Too bad they don't just list it like: Wolfson blah, blah, blah...haha.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
Sound is subjective for everyone and the type of headset or AV system/Receiver your using. To me the iPhone & iPod Touch is a vast improvement from the clickwheel iPods and the Zune products.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
For the person above you can find a flash 8gb zune for a song and they have great sound quality and a minimal meniung system.

I have a HD on backorder from Dell won't be here till Oct and I'm trying to decide if I want to keep or cancel the order. I have a 1G Touch that needs updating, I also have a 120gb Zune for music which I like. The HD is a nice looking unit but I wonder once the newness of the UI wears off will it still hold it's charm? I mean how often are you looking at all the pretty graphics, the screen is off mostly listening to music. The touch does not have as good SQ or Image quality at the HD, but I often find myself doings so much more on the touch, apps, games, comic books with the reader, then a little music and video that it's good enough, plus the 64 gb would be nice, I'm not too keyed up that I Need a camera... so decisions decisions...

Jodiuh

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009
For the person above you can find a flash 8gb zune for a song and they have great sound quality and a minimal meniung system.
I've heard them before, it didn't sound like the Zune HD. It's also got that incredibly annoying trackpad thing.

fernande-mac

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2009
Midwest
Sound quality:
It's better than the 2G, but not quite as good as the new Zune. But it's easily close enough that I had a great time listening to music last night. The new Angel's and Demon's OST actually sounded a bit more detailed and clear on the iPod. But it's definitely a more laid back, neutral sound. I feel the soundstage isn't quite as large either.

I am curious about this.

Is the sound of the iPod touch 3G better than the highly praised iPod 5G/5.5G?

Thanks!

pavenger

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2008
Spokane, WA USA
I have been drooling over the new iPod touch since the rumors have been showing up here over the last few months. But then the Zune HD came out and I was thinking that I might have to go find one and try it out. Who knows, maybe I'd like it more.... But while the superior sound quality is a BIG plus for me, I wanted my PMP to do more than just play music. In a nutshell I want something that I can carry to class in place of my MBP. The Zune will not fit that bill for me at all. If MS wanted to create a device that could trump the iPod touch they have to do more than give it a Gorgeous screen and great sound quality. It seems that every other function was just an after thought. I made up my mind on the Touch. Im going to head to my nearest apple store (300 miles away. The iPod is not the reason im driving that far...) on saturday and pick one up. at least now I will be able to sync my iPod with my MBP and not have to dust off my old PC

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
I have to say, I got a Zune HD and am I love mine! I don't use it for the Apps, Video, or browsing online. I use it mainly as a music player. And for that, it servers it's function better than my old iPod 5G or the iPod Touch. There are too many little things that go along with iTunes and the iPod Touch sync that annoy me, which originally caused me to look for anything other than Apple.

The one thing that would have gotten me the iPod Touch 3G, subscription music to iTunes. For my uses, the Zune Pass is infinitely useful. I listen to stuff at least 6 Hours every day. I've loaded up my 16GB with a bunch of stuff that I wouldn't have otherwise. I have my current library, but have listened everything to death. So it's nice to have a bunch of new stuff.

Also, the sound quality is better on the Zune. It's exactly like the Engadget review stated. I compared with with my old iPod 5G and it is noticeably better. For my purposes, I think the Zune HD fits my needs better. But I also recognize that iPod is great too. My wife has one and loves it!

Jodiuh

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009
Is the sound of the iPod touch 3G better than the highly praised iPod 5G/5.5G?
Unfortunately, I never got one of those because of the size. I can't stand bulky gadgets. Aside from the most excellent Rio Karma of course. I can tell you that it's an improvement from the 2G touch and is definitely an enjoyable experience on the ears.

But while the superior sound quality is a BIG plus for me, I wanted my PMP to do more than just play music.
And this is why I picked the iPod touch.

I don't use it for the Apps, Video, or browsing online. I use it mainly as a music player.
And this is why I returned the Zune HD. How's that volume rocker BTW? :p

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2008
I was honestly thinking about looking at a Zune HD (if they ever bring it out in Europe that is) until I read that review and saw this:

zune_outside.jpg

Utterly unacceptable for me as I use my Touch outside about 90% of the time. No matter how good the screen indoors a portable music player MUST be able to work outdoors and from what I've seen of the Zune HD this simply isn't true.

I have a Zune HD and I honestly think that picture is severely misleading. A lot of that glare is coming since it's a photo. I bet it looks fine to the reviewer (although obviously not as good as if it were indoors). Whenever you take a photo of an electronic device screen, it NEVER looks as good as it does in person and usually either dims or blurs the screen,
I have not noticed any major screen issues when using the device outside on a sunny afternoon. Everything is readable, and it looks similar to the ipod touch in sunlight. Indoors (even with lots of artificial light), the Zune HD looks phenomenal.

EDIT: Now thinking it over, there is no way that screen is on anything expect "low" brightness setting. The high brightness settings would make the white letters pop through the glare from the sunlight.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
And this is why I returned the Zune HD. How's that volume rocker BTW? :p

It's not too bad. I use it at work and it's always sitting on my desk. So i don't have to mess with the no screen thing and it being in my pocket. Since I use it at my desk most of the time, the few times I have to use it out doors is ok. I didn't have too much of a problem a day two ago in my car. Perhaps it's my awesome shades ;).

tenand2indy

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2009

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
I've got three other players with OLED screens, and by manipulating their screen angle relative to the sun I can both make them look better than my Touch or worse then my Touch. The OLEDs have an advantage that everyone overlooks, and it is that they can be seen from almost any angle. The Touch, and most LCD screens, get worse as your view angle moves away from straight-on. Glare on both screens? Tilt the OLED some to get rid of the refections but still see the screen. Tilt the Touch/LCD and you also lose the image quality.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
I've got three other players with OLED screens, and by manipulating their screen angle relative to the sun I can both make them look better than my Touch or worse then my Touch. The OLEDs have an advantage that everyone overlooks, and it is that they can be seen from almost any angle. The Touch, and most LCD screens, get worse as your view angle moves away from straight-on. Glare on both screens? Tilt the OLED some to get rid of the refections but still see the screen. Tilt the Touch/LCD and you also lose the image quality.

Post pictures and lets see it.

GBNova

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2009

People probably overlook the angle advantage of the OLED screens because nobody is going to use the ZuneHD at an angle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.