First ipad. Do I get a screen protector in addition to the case

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 09gtr 08f430, Mar 16, 2012.

1. 09gtr 08f430 macrumors newbie

Hi.

This is my first ipad. What do people usually get for protection? I like the apple smart cover. Would it make sense to get a screen protector underneath the smart cover? Or is that redundant?

Thanks

2. pleomorph macrumors member

pleomorph

A lot of people will probably tell you it's overkill, but in my opinion, a $10 screen protector is worth it since it only takes one small scratch to ruin a $499+ Retina display.

3. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

I have not used a screen protector on any of my 3 iPads. I use a smart cover and a Zagg or BestSkinsEver shield on the back, and I carry it in a sleeve when carrying around outside.

If you're fairly careful you shouldn't have any problem, IMO.

4. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

I've never used a screen protector on any of my Apple products I've owned, and I've never dropped, scratched, or damaged any of my Apple products because I take excellent care of them.

5. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I'm from the "Always-use-a-screen-protector" camp so even if I have a case, I'll still use a screen protector. Go for crystal films, not privacy/anti-glare ones as they'll make your shiny new retina screen look like crap. Most people will say this brand or that for protectors however I've used eBay ones forever and they work just as well for 1/10 the price of a SGP or some other name brand screen protector. I actually went to TJ Maxx and picked up a two pack of Duracell (the same people who make batteries) screen protectors :confused: Don't care though as they should do the job anyways.

6. gcortes macrumors member

I haven't had a screen protector on my iPhone 4s, which lives in my jeans pocket and it doesn't have a scratch on it. No scratches on my iPad2 even after I dropped it one the floor. Lots of cracks, but no scratches. I'm not getting a screen protector for my iPad3.

7. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

You shouldn't need a screen protector, and plus, screen protectors decrease the clarity of the screen, even if by just a little.

8. eric1971 macrumors member

Agree.

I started out using a screen protector on my iPhone 3G, but all it did was collect dirt around the edges and dull the screen. Stopped using them after a few months and never looked back. Never had a scratch. I am careful not to mix my iPhone with things that could scratch it, like keys.

This will be my first iPad, although I think scratching it is even less likely given how it will be used.

9. pleomorph macrumors member

pleomorph

Agreed. The crystal, non-adhesive films are the way to go. They don't change the view-ability at all and they can be removed and reapplied if needed. You can find them dirt cheap on Amazon.

10. astrorider macrumors 6502

The iPhone/iPad's touch screen are not like the touch screens of the past that were very easy to scratch. The intent was to be able to carry your keys in your pocket with your iPhone and not scratch the screen, so that should give you an idea about the scratch-resistance of these displays.

11. joesnewmatch macrumors member

I don't plan to use one on my 3 (in box at home, waiting for me), but I did get one for my iPhone4 -- AFTER I scratched it. Do not put your phone in your pocket with keys. It does scratch. Trust me.

12. pleomorph macrumors member

pleomorph

I had a friend who got a tiny scratch on his iPhone. He had a nice case for it, never dropped it, took great care of it. But some how, some where, a scratch formed and it bugged him like crazy. It was tiny but when the screen lit up, it was very noticeable and you could feel it every time you ran your finger over it.

13. joesnewmatch macrumors member

Yep, mine looks like a blemish in one spot, closer to the bottom, and kind of like a stress marks in the top right section. You could feel it, too. Adding a protective cover helped alleviate my annoyance. You can still see them, but not as pronounced. The screen does detract from the quality of the display.

I figure that my iPad will be in a protective case, with a micro fiber cover, and unless I drop something on it, while using it, I should be okay.

14. boxster99t macrumors member

The glass is about as scratch resistent as you will ever find. Even the back isn't worth worrying over.

I have a very few light scratches on the back of my iPad 2, but other than fingerprints (which wipe off easily), the front glass is as scratch free now as it was a year ago.

I use a smartcover because it's a handy way to prop the iPad up in your lap, or sit it in landscape mode on a table when not in use. Less so for protection.

Also, I've never used a screen protector on the two iPhones I've had--haven't scratched the glass yet, and the iPhones have been dropped/slid on their glass on pavement.

To each his own--I personally don't bother with screen protectors.

15. bobobenobi macrumors regular

Do you like to wear three condoms at a time? I don't, and I don't like screen protectors on my iPad either.

16. 09gtr 08f430 thread starter macrumors newbie

17. Built macrumors 68020

I always get a screen protector...IMHO, Power Support Crystal Film is the best. I've had it on all of my iPhones and all 3 of my iPads.

18. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

Go naked. Use all the cash you would spend on janky accessories and just get AppleCare+. That way you are worry free.

19. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Mixed feelings on the screen protectors.

I say if it's an iPhone, put one on it. Phones go in your pocket, get dropped, get set down in abrasive areas, etc. They take much more of a beating than a tablet. You can basically buy them in bulk on eBay, and that's great because you can keep trying until you get one on there perfectly.

iPad is a little different and that's where I'm torn. You're not going to put an iPad in your pocket and you're probably not going to set it screen down anywhere. I think it's much easier to go protector-less on an iPad without fear. I did it for a long time, but my iPad 2 came from Apple with a scratch already on it, and I eventually used a screen protector to hide the scratch because it bugged me a lot. Eventually I forgot it was even there.

If you tend not to handle your stuff with kid gloves, put a protector on it. My parents have had an iPad 2 for several months now, and I don't have the heart to tell them, but their screen is scratched to hell. It's probably just the coating on the glass that's scratched, but the thing has swirl marks everywhere and it has no screen protector on it. It's probably just from them wiping it down so much because one of them is always using it and it goes wherever they go.

Just my two cents.

20. floridonet macrumors regular

Screen protectors are almost a necessary evil for me. I'm still debating whether or not to put one one the new iPad. I have kids that play with my iPad. On the iPad 2 I didn't have one for several months until I began noticing hairline scratches.

21. Pigumon macrumors 6502

Pigumon

NO definitely not. The screen protectors kill the feel of the glass. They're just horrible.

22. redout macrumors member

At first they do, but after a couple of weeks usage you no longer get the squeeks or disparity in feel I have noticed. Talking from experience with the Zagg shields.

23. HazChem macrumors regular

Not needed if you're careful. The glass is hard and very scratch resistant. I'm on my third iPad and never had a scratch.

24. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Personal preference. I have one b/c I don't have to be as careful when I clean the screen; i.e. whether a cleaner has ammonia or alcohol, both of which will destroy the oleophobic coating.

But if you don't have one, the odds of you scratching the screen are slim. Some don't like adding a plastic layer to their screen, I get that. So again, it's whatever makes you comfortable.

You can get a cheap screen on Amazon for a couple bucks. One thing I'm certain of is that there is no quality difference between a $2 protector and a $20. The more expensive ones can thinner or be easier to put on, but never had a visual issue with the cheap ones, and they don't leave residue behind either.

25. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

How can you guys stand the glare? I'm using my iPad 3 right now with an anti glare screen, and the display does look slightly fuzzier. But otherwise I'm staring at my reflection!