First iPad: iPad 2 or New iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HTsang2014, Jul 3, 2012.

1. HTsang2014 macrumors newbie

I'm definitely going to purchase an iPad soon, but am still debating whether to buy the new iPad with the retina display or try to get one of those 32nm iPad 2s.

I read about the overheating and battery issues on the New iPad, but if there were any problems initially, Apple should have fixed them in the subsequent batches, right?

I'm not going to use 4G, so that feature doesn't concern me on the New iPad, and although I probably won't use the camera very often on my iPad, the new 5MP camera in the New iPad might be ample for impromptu situations when I want to capture a few photos. Then again, I could probably do without the camera and go for the iPad 2.

I know Siri will become available for the New iPad come iOS 6. I like the retina display but might be able to do without it. To my eyes, it looks pretty gorgeous. I won't use Bluetooth much if at all.

Do you guys think I should try to get a 32nm iPad 2 or go to the new iPad? This will probably be my only iPad for a while, since I have a limited budget (I'm a student). Are the retina display, Siri, lower battery life (than the 32nm iPad 2), and longer charging times worth the extra $100?

Thanks!

2. PantherCreek macrumors regular

I feel if you can't afford to upgrade at will, it will be worth it in the long run to get the most current version of any iOS device. It will be worth it in the long run as it will remain supported longer.

3. -TYLER, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012

-TYLER macrumors regular

If you go with iPad 2 get it refurbished from apple. They come in perfect condition with a new battery, and outer shell, 32gb for $399 is a great deal. Mine has been great so far.

So is the new screen, camera and Siri worth $200 more? In my opinion no..

4. Rodster macrumors 68040

Totally agree with this and I own both an iPad 2 and a 3.

5. davidinva macrumors 6502a

I bought a 16GB iPad 2 refurb from the Apple Store. Could not get it to work for more than a minute or two at a time without restarting. Returned it to an Apple Store and got a new iPad 32GB from a local Apple reseller (a small shop in our town.) Getting older, so the retina display works for me.

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

Being at an FPO address Apple won't ship to the US Military for refurbs:mad:

I thought I decided on a NIB 32Gb 3G iPad2 when the "new" iPad came out = $619 at the base PX.

A few days later I came across an open box 64Gb 4G "new" iPad for $738 = for $119 more, I got the new display, double the storage, double the RAM and the better camera.

Yes it does get warm compared to the iPad2 or original but there's a lot more battery and GPU packed into a sealed enclosure so it shouldn't be any surprise to people = this will probably only get worse unless Apple redesigns the case in a major way!

The only thing I don't like is that big battery does take "overnight" to charge!

Otherwise it was a very good upgrade from my original iPad - that I gifted to a family memeber:D

7. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

Are you content with having an iPad that's two generations old when the 4th gen comes out next year? If you don't care about being on the cutting edge of Apple technology, the iPad 2 is a more-than-capable device which still looks great and performs beautifully smooth.

8. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Have to disagree with you on this. The retina display is worth it alone imo. I do a lot of reading so maybe that's why. Just trying to give the op some perspective :)

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If you've got a device with a retina display (iPhone/iPod Touch)... get the retina iPad because you will notice a that will bother you.

10. noteple macrumors 65816

The screen, camera, full support of iOS 6 and higher resale values should point you to the New iPad.

11. jayem1234, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012

jayem1234 macrumors regular

Thought it was just me! Going from my retina iPad to my non-retina MacBook bothers me more than I actually thought it would. I know...such a horrible problem to have :D

But seriously, if the op has the money to get the new iPad, get it. It's much easier on the eyes while reading articles and books and it's just plain awesome. The screen is amazing forsure. But then again if money is tight, an iPad 2 still gets the job done for whatever it is you want to do with it. Basically it all comes down to personal preference.

Man these first world problems are terrible!

12. 617aircav Suspended

New iPad. I had an iPad 2 for 2 days and I could not tolerate the screen. Just terrible. I found and iPad 3 deal on Craigslist and love it. I will have no need to upgrade to the next one.

13. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

I would not count on getting an iPad 2 with the new chip. Either expect a normal iPad 2 or iPad 3, otherwise you will most likely be disappointed.

14. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

15. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

If you don't have a specific use for the price difference, I would get the new one. I would hate to know I could have gotten the new iPad but instead blew the money eating out or something equally unsubstantial.

16. aldenbaker macrumors newbie

17. topocalypse macrumors member

dude, it's up to what you want. i would just get the new ipad. i'm using ipad 1 right now. actually bought it early 2012 secondhand. its pretty slow but i dont care because i dont need it to be quick since i have an iphone and macbook pro that fulfills all my needs and wants. if i were you i would just get the newest one so you wont regret not getting it later. again you can always sell it if you somehow change your mind.

18. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

The crisp text quality makes the new iPad worth every penny, get it, your eyes will thank you for it.

19. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

What is the difference, like 100 bucks or so? It's a relatively small difference that's probably worth it IMO, but I wouldn't blame you if you did save money with an ipad2. The retina display is just ok, text is a bit crisper but really I don't notice a difference from day to day. The one thing I suspect the retina display degrades is internet browsing, my ipad3 is MUCH slower at rendering graphics heavy webpages than my ipad2, and there are even some sites where it won't render the graphics at all.

As for heat and battery, they are acceptable. The ipad3 does get hot, but I don't really notice it much, the battery life is definitely shorter but it's still "all day", and it does take much longer to charge up.

edit: Also don't get it just for Siri. Siri is pure and utter junk, I'm sorry flame me if you must but I've found it is completely horrible. Although I read that Apple is completely redoing it for ios6 so I can only hope they make it have some use.

20. softypolimer macrumors member

Get the most recent one for a long run. Apple update their protect fairly quick including their software which will force you to upgrade your device. I'm still using my iPad1 from 2010 and it getting slow but I dons mind since I only use it as my networking tablet. However I'm panning to buy a new one on the next launch because I head apple will drop the ios6 support on iPad1 (I don't think iPad1 can handle ios6 anyway). 2 years was short but it's the technology life today. Even if I buy the next iPad I don't think I will retire him just yet.:D

Again, it's all depend on how you want to use your iPad but it's still better to get the most recent one to get a long lifespan.

Edit:
    Unless you wanted to buy iPad2 now to wait for the Next iPad.(you can sell it after)

21. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

*touchwood*

Hell yeah they are!
    Damn, I'm getting my riPad soon but I hope it doesn't cause me to dislike using my 13" MBP because I was planning on keeping it for quite a while. :S

22. -TYLER macrumors regular

$200 difference..

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This is good advice and what I would do.

24. joec1101 macrumors 6502

iPad 3 because RETINA DISPLAY :D

Really, after using an Apple retina display, every other display looks inferior.

25. tejagamer macrumors member

tejagamer

I am Still Happy with my iPad 1! :)
    So, I think you will be fine with iPad 2..
    iPad 3 is only for those who wants to carry alot of PS Edited Pics or video work.