Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

The early acceptance and rejection letters are arriving to developers. More rejection than acceptance it seems. One developer received the following email from Apple:

Dear Registered iPhone Developer,

Thank you for expressing interest in the iPhone Developer Program. We have received your enrollment request. As this time, the iPhone Developer Program is available to a limited number of developers and we plan to expand during the beta period. We will contact you again regarding your enrollment status at the appropriate time.

Thank you for applying.

Best regards,

iPhone Developer Program
The $99/year iPhone Developer program comes with the beta iPhone Firmware and allows developers to install their applications onto the iPhone itself, rather than just onto the emulator. Apple is expected to open up the program to all comers after June, but in the meanwhile is only open to a "limited" number of developers.

Article Link

himansk

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2006
Did anybody get accepted yet? could you post what information you received in the email?

Comment

quinney

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2007
that sounds like more of an acknowledgement than a rejection,
unless the absence of acceptance is the same as rejection

Comment

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
This is the non-acceptance email I received for being outside the US.

iPhone Developer Program said:
Dear Registered iPhone Developer,

Thank you for expressing interest in the iPhone Developer Program. We have received your enrollment request. At this time, the iPhone Developer Program is only available in the US and will expand to other countries during the beta period. We will contact you again regarding your enrollment status at the appropriate time.

Thank you for applying.

Best regards,

iPhone Developer Program

Comment

daveschroeder

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2003
Madison, WI
Please note that this is ONLY for the early/beta programs. This doesn't have anything to do with application acceptance/rejection, or whether particular developers will be "allowed" to develop for iPhone.

Apple always stated that the early (pre-June) programs would only be available to a small number of select developers and enterprise customers.

Comment

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
It looks like Apple is going with Developers that have actually written code for Mac's before. I received a rejection email also and I just do consulting and no actual code writing. So.

Oh Well.

Comment

rednic

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2003
kanada
But i need one

My app is supposed to be demoed at an apple store a week monday, wonder if we get one?

Nic

Comment

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007
I got my non-acceptance at this time email. As I talked about last week in one of MacRumors Forums. I have tossed a site together to gather ideas for developing apps. If you have some ideas for apps,but can program you can posted the on my site http://www.iphoneappthink.com and maybe some developer will like your idea and build it....

Comment

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
It looks like Apple is going with Developers that have actually written code for Mac's before. I received a rejection email also and I just do consulting and no actual code writing. So.

Oh Well.

That is not entirely true. Big name Mac app developers have also received the email.

Comment

daveschroeder

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2003
Madison, WI
So are these rejections for anyone that downloaded the SDK or for those that actually paid the $99 or $299 to obtain a certificate?

These rejections are not for people who downloaded the SDK. They are ONLY for people who applied to the $99/year or $299/year developer programs. They are NOT being rejected after they have paid; you only pay when you are accepted into the program. In fact, you don't even enter any payment information during the application process.

Comment

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
You would think they want to keep potential iPhone developers from getting pissed and heading over to the Android camp.

At least clarify what the position is instead of this drone rejection letter.

Comment

daveschroeder

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2003
Madison, WI
This is not entirely correct. Some have been accepted. Not everyone got the non-acceptance letter.

arn

Just want to confirm this. Sites have been accepted into both the developer and enterprise iPhone programs. And by "enterprise", I don't mean the $299/year "enterprise" developer tier; I mean the completely separate enterprise testing program (which is free).

Comment

daveschroeder

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2003
Madison, WI
You would think they want to keep potential iPhone developers from getting pissed and heading over to the Android camp.

At least clarify what the position is instead of this drone rejection letter.

The position is clear. It currently is only available to selected developers and enterprise customers. The information, and the email message itself, couldn't be more clear. While the program is still being developed and the code is beta, only strategic — "selected" — developers and enterprise customers will be included. The program will be slowly expanded until it is available to everyone in a couple of months' time.

Once June rolls around, everyone will be able to develop, buy certificates, submit applications to the App Store, or develop in-house or other applications which DO NOT require Apple approval or vetting. No one is going to head over to any other camp just because they have to wait *two months*. The iPhone development ecosystem is dramatically different from Android, and no one is going to alter their iPhone development plans in the days after Apple announces their roadmap and strategy simply because they can't immediately deploy to beta versions of the firmware.

Everyone who wishes can download the SDK and begin developing and testing their apps today.

Comment

chillywilly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Salt Lake City
These rejections are not for people who downloaded the SDK. They are ONLY for people who applied to the $99/year or $299/year developer programs. They are NOT being rejected after they have paid; you only pay when you are accepted into the program. In fact, you don't even enter any payment information during the application process.

Thank you for the clarification. I did sign up for the $99 program. Just waiting to get the "Yea" or "Nay" email.

Comment

Manatee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
How does Apple choose who does get it?

I wonder how Apple is choosing the ones who get it? High-profile, known PDA/smartphone developers? Some of the prominent Palm, WM, Symbian app developers?

Seems to me that anyone worthy of getting the beta would be already known in the industry, and would either be contacted by Apple -- to try to get some big-name apps on their platform, or would be contacting Apple directly through some connection in the industry.

They're not having applicants write an essay, or submit work samples, so how are they making decisions on who to let in? I doubt that simply checking the boxes to say you are a Mac developer who also develops for other devices will do it.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.