tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
We've been huge Android fans for years. We've had nearly every Samsung galaxy phone. I'm way more into phones than my wife is. In the past 12 months I've owned:

OnePlus 3
Galaxy s7
Galaxy s7 edge
Moto z play (×2)
Galaxy s8
Galaxy s8+

I got sick of the yearly need to upgrade. I should have switched years ago, but the galaxy s8+ is a super nice phone. I predict it'll win a lot of phone of the year awards. It's not slow and laggy like previous Samsung's get after 6 months.

My wife cracked her s8, so when it was in for repair I surprised her with an X and a 38mm watch. It's been a week, and she asked me why I waited so long to show her the Apple ecosystem. I need a big phone, and the X isn't large enough for me. I planned to wait til next year for the x+, but I caved yesterday and got an 8+ and a 42mm watch to go with it.

I went with 64gb on both. It's a huge shock losing micro sd access, but I'm sure I'll deal with it using Google photos and icloud. Apple only offering 64 and 256 is a joke, but I'm sure that point has been covered to death.

All in all, I'm extremely happy and I don't feel like the 8 plus was a downgrade like I expected. Qhd is nice, but the iPhone 8 plus doesn't look too bad for LCD. If I can get 3 years out of these phones and watches I'll consider that a win. I don't know anything about iPhones, but it seems like every year that a new IOS comes out, the previous phones really struggle with it. Hopefully an 8 plus will be able to run IOS 14 haha.

Sorry for the lame Android to Apple post, but I feel excited about IOS and feel like I missed out.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Welcome to the iOS world. I felt the same way when I switched over when the 6 Plus was introduced. I had an iPad a few years prior, but was waiting for the iPhone to be opened to other carriers and for the larger screen size. I haven’t looked back since and very satisfied with the experience overall.

There is rumored a Plus size version of the X for 2018 that is believed to be a certainty by everyone. I’m on board for it even with having the 8 Plus now.

You can read about it here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...inch-full-screen-lcd-model-next-year.2088097/

TechNismo

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2017
6ix
Glad to hear the switch. You made the right choice! One downside you may experience is the lack of customizability on iOS, which is something I personally dislike. Both the X and 8 Plus are great phone choices.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
Welcome to the iOS world. I felt the same way when I switched over when the 6 Plus was introduced. I had an iPad a few years prior, but was waiting for the iPhone to be opened to other carriers and for the larger screen size. I haven’t looked back since and very satisfied with the experience overall.

There is rumored a Plus size version of the X for 2018 that is believed to be a certainty by everyone. I’m on board for it even with having the 8 Plus now.

You can read about it here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...inch-full-screen-lcd-model-next-year.2088097/
I feel like my wife will be set with her X next year, but I'll probably cave and get an X plus ha.
[doublepost=1512325491][/doublepost]
Glad to hear the switch. You made the right choice! One downside you may experience is the lack of customizability on iOS, which is something I personally dislike. Both the X and 8 Plus are great phone choices.
Customization is nice to have, even if you don't use much of it. I downloaded nova launcher on all my phones, but barely scratched the surface.

Does anyone know how many cycles Apple rates their batteries at?? Can you get decent battery life for 2 years, or will you be constantly reaching for the charger after a year? Slow charging is also hard to handle. Going to order a fast charger today. What's the go to setup?

Reactions: DoubleFlyaway

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
I feel like my wife will be set with her X next year, but I'll probably cave and get an X plus ha.

Yep. You seemed just “okay” with the 8 Plus. That’s why I shared the X Plus rumor post in case you weren’t aware. Most of us Plus owners here (regardless of current version) will be jumping on the X Plus next year as well. Sharing is caring... so is enabling.

Reactions: DoubleFlyaway

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
Yep. You seemed just “okay” with the 8 Plus. That’s why I shared the X Plus rumor post in case you weren’t aware. Most of us Plus owners here (regardless of current version) will be jumping on the X Plus next year as well. Sharing is caring... so is enabling.
I knew all about it and I've seen all the speculation pics. I just didn't want to wait another year. The 8 plus is a boring look for some people, but I've never had an IPhone so it's more exciting to me. I should be able to recoup a decent amount next fall. Hell, I may choose to just stay with the 8 plus.

TechNismo

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2017
6ix
Does anyone know how many cycles Apple rates their batteries at?? Can you get decent battery life for 2 years, or will you be constantly reaching for the charger after a year? Slow charging is also hard to handle. Going to order a fast charger today. What's the go to setup?
Battery really depends on your usage and how well you take care of it. If you are a light or even an average user and takes care of you phone well, it should be good for two years. Like don't let you phone charge over night every day or keep your phone in very cold conditions, which will harm the battery.
Fast Charing is the way to go (Apple 29W Brick with USB C-Lighntening Cable). Wireless charger seems cool, but it is very slow, even at 7.5 W, I don't personally recommend it. I'm currently using a 12W iPad Brick, but want to buy the Fast Charger soon!

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
We've been huge Android fans for years. We've had nearly every Samsung galaxy phone. I'm way more into phones than my wife is. In the past 12 months I've owned:

OnePlus 3
Galaxy s7
Galaxy s7 edge
Moto z play (×2)
Galaxy s8
Galaxy s8+

I got sick of the yearly need to upgrade. I should have switched years ago, but the galaxy s8+ is a super nice phone. I predict it'll win a lot of phone of the year awards. It's not slow and laggy like previous Samsung's get after 6 months.

My wife cracked her s8, so when it was in for repair I surprised her with an X and a 38mm watch. It's been a week, and she asked me why I waited so long to show her the Apple ecosystem. I need a big phone, and the X isn't large enough for me. I planned to wait til next year for the x+, but I caved yesterday and got an 8+ and a 42mm watch to go with it.

I went with 64gb on both. It's a huge shock losing micro sd access, but I'm sure I'll deal with it using Google photos and icloud. Apple only offering 64 and 256 is a joke, but I'm sure that point has been covered to death.

All in all, I'm extremely happy and I don't feel like the 8 plus was a downgrade like I expected. Qhd is nice, but the iPhone 8 plus doesn't look too bad for LCD. If I can get 3 years out of these phones and watches I'll consider that a win. I don't know anything about iPhones, but it seems like every year that a new IOS comes out, the previous phones really struggle with it. Hopefully an 8 plus will be able to run IOS 14 haha.

Sorry for the lame Android to Apple post, but I feel excited about IOS and feel like I missed out.
Nice rational post. Androids and Apple can coexist and both be useful without butthurt from everyone. Phones are tools and everyone should get the best tool for the job, whichever OS that is. Well done.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
Battery really depends on your usage and how well you take care of it. If you are a light or even an average user and takes care of you phone well, it should be good for two years. Like don't let you phone charge over night every day or keep your phone in very cold conditions, which will harm the battery.
Fast Charing is the way to go (Apple 29W Brick with USB C-Lighntening Cable). Wireless charger seems cool, but it is very slow, even at 7.5 W, I don't personally recommend it. I'm currently using a 12W iPad Brick, but want to buy the Fast Charger soon!
Not charging overnight is hard when the phone takes well over 2 hours to charge haha

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I knew all about it and I've seen all the speculation pics. I just didn't want to wait another year. The 8 plus is a boring look for some people, but I've never had an IPhone so it's more exciting to me. I should be able to recoup a decent amount next fall. Hell, I may choose to just stay with the 8 plus.

Physical characteristics with an iPhone has been that way over the years for some, but that aesthetics eventually wears off anyways. It's all about the iOS experience with the fluidity and simplicity. The More you use iOS, the more you become immersed and it's excellent through other iOS devices as well like the iPad and Apple Watch.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
Nice rational post. Androids and Apple can coexist and both be useful without butthurt from everyone. Phones are tools and everyone should get the best tool for the job, whichever OS that is. Well done.
I contemplated just keeping my s8+ and swapping with my 8 plus. The only thing holding me back is my Apple watch not working on Android.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
I contemplated just keeping my s8+ and swapping with my 8 plus. The only thing holding me back is my Apple watch not working on Android.
That's funny. I'm all iOS and MacOS, but I've been contemplating Android watches just due to the sheer number of choices. I'm still resisting because I don't want something else to plug in every day. If the battery ever gets to a 3-4 day life with normal use, I'll jump on it, whether it's Android or iOS.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
That's funny. I'm all iOS and MacOS, but I've been contemplating Android watches just due to the sheer number of choices. I'm still resisting because I don't want something else to plug in every day. If the battery ever gets to a 3-4 day life with normal use, I'll jump on it, whether it's Android or iOS.
The Samsung gear s3 gets good battery life according to a few co workers. It's huge and not very visually appealing to me, or I would have picked one up.

maka344

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
You can charge overnight. I’ve done it for years without issue. In fact, my partners old 6s plus (replaced with the X) was at 86% capacity at 2.5 years old. It was charged overnight every night for its 2.5 years of use age.

verdejt

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
Central Florida
Welcome to the group.
I have the 8 plus with the Series 2 Nike Edition Apple watch. During the week when I'm texting and working out and doing lots of stuff on my watch the lowest it has ever gotten is about 67%. If you put it on theater mode which stops the display from coming on when your raise your wrist, which means to see it you have to tap the display, you can easily get better battery life out of it. I usually put my watch on the charger at night when I go to bed. When I decide to track my sleep I put it in theater mode and usually wind up with about 73% battery left. I put it on the charger while I drink my morning coffee before I get dressed. When I head out the door about an hour or so later it's usually at full charge. I love my AW and my 8 plus.

Reactions: tonybarnaby

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
You can charge overnight. I’ve done it for years without issue. In fact, my partners old 6s plus (replaced with the X) was at 86% capacity at 2.5 years old. It was charged overnight every night for its 2.5 years of use age.
How do you check capacity?

KONVICTED

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
I'm not too much in the spec game. I love iOS simplicity. It just works as advertised. Android has come long way to but i still pick iPhone because it gives me the best experience in both worlds.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
Swipe down from the top-right corner of the iPhone X's display to open Control Center and the battery percentage is included. Or, You can ask Siri as well.
I was referring to capacity as in internal capacity. The person I quoted had an older phone and knew the specific amount the battery had degraded.
[doublepost=1512337581][/doublepost]The battery life, especially standby, is so good that I was wondering if the battery meter isn't calibrated. I didn't even lose 1% sleeping for 6 hours

maka344

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
I was referring to capacity as in internal capacity. The person I quoted had an older phone and knew the specific amount the battery had degraded.
[doublepost=1512337581][/doublepost]The battery life, especially standby, is so good that I was wondering if the battery meter isn't calibrated. I didn't even lose 1% sleeping for 6 hours
App called battery life.

And l, in the iPhone world. To lose only 1-2% during sleep is normal. I can lose that overnight which is cool.

Attachments

• DA8FA491-96A4-40FA-A24D-952019907408.png
    DA8FA491-96A4-40FA-A24D-952019907408.png
    930.4 KB · Views: 76
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.