KGI: Apple to Launch 6.5-Inch 'iPhone X Plus' and Lower-Priced 6.1-Inch Full-Screen LCD Model Next Year

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 13, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple will launch a trio of new iPhone models in 2018, including 5.8-inch and 6.5-inch models with OLED displays and a 6.1-inch model with an LCD display, according to respected KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

[​IMG]
    Photo: KGI Securities

Kuo believes all three models will be equipped with a full-screen notched design and TrueDepth camera system like the iPhone X.

Kuo expects the 5.8-inch model to have 458 pixels per inch, suggesting the second-generation iPhone X's display will likely continue to have a resolution of 1,125×2,436. He said the 6.5-inch model will have roughly 480 to 500 PPI, while the 6.1-inch model is estimated to have between 320 and 330 PPI.

In his latest research note, obtained by MacRumors, Kuo said the 6.1-inch model will have a lower-resolution LCD display and target the low-end and mid-range markets with an estimated $649 to $749 starting price in the United States.
    His research note didn't outline any pricing estimates for the next 5.8-inch iPhone X, which currently starts at $999, or the all-new 6.5-inch model.

If accurate, next year's new iPhone lineup would consist of the second-gen iPhone X with the same size screen, a larger 6.5-inch version that we're tentatively calling the iPhone X Plus, and a mid-range 6.1-inch LCD model that adopts an iPhone X form factor and features but with a cheaper price point.

Kuo is upbeat on the shipments momentum of all three new iPhone models, and expects them to launch without any delays in 2018, given Apple's supply chain will be well experienced with iPhone X production by next year.

While he doesn't have an absolutely perfect track record, Kuo often relays accurate information from his sources within Apple's supply chain. Ahead of the iPhone X, he accurately detailed its 5.8-inch display, glass and stainless steel design, lack of Touch ID, 3D sensing, and several other features.

We've also already heard a few rumors about a 6.46-inch iPhone launching next year, so iPhone X Plus rumor season is well underway.

Article Link: KGI: Apple to Launch 6.5-Inch 'iPhone X Plus' and Lower-Priced 6.1-Inch Full-Screen LCD Model Next Year

2. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

3. TxExCxH macrumors regular

TxExCxH

4. Appleaker macrumors 68000

Still a mess, and a smaller model would be much appreciated in the lineup. Should be 5.2”, 5.8”, and 6.4”.

5. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

6. ayale99 macrumors 6502

I'm looking forward to an iPhone X model that is the weight and thickness of the iPhone 7.

7. ThisBougieLife, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017

ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

iPad Mini-sized phone? :confused: I guess if it's what people want...I think the size of the iPhone X is just about perfect. It's much better than the 8/7 Plus, in my opinion.

8. Jazper macrumors 6502a

I hate how many different models Apple are creating, I miss when they had just one type.

For the normal iPhone user it must be so confusing lol

9. Guda.FL macrumors regular

Will the 6"5 come with a mortgage application?

10. jadot macrumors 6502

jadot

Looks like I picked the wrong week to give up bank robbin'

11. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

Hopefully the new larger size won't mean more production issues and we'll have greater supply at launch next year. I hit the Nov 3 date but I saw a lot of people ordering in the first hour had significant waits.

12. ChinaRye macrumors 6502

ChinaRye

I'm sold on the Plus iPhone X, but I don't think I can justify it if it's $1500+, which I fear it will be.

13. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

To be quite honest I think the X is a tad on the small side, but this 'Plus' model would be too big to handle properly. If it were closer to 6.2 inches it would be better.

As for pricing, I would expect the 5.8 inch model to retain a $999 base price, and the Plus model to be something like $1249 upwards.

14. citi macrumors 65816

citi

A LOT of people will choose the LCD version just because of price alone. I like OLED but in all honesty, there was nothing wrong with Apple's LCD panels. They still look good to me. My iPad Pro still looks amazing without OLED. I guarantee you won't get dual camera on the LCD one. Apple isn't stupid.

15. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

I love how $649-$749 is now considered "low-end & midrange" :rolleyes:

16. dantracht macrumors regular

dantracht

17. bwintx macrumors regular

bwintx

IPS-LCD, yes. (Love my 7 Plus.) TFT-LCD, meh. Hope that part's not true.

18. PastaPrimav macrumors regular

That's fine if Apple wants to make a larger one and charge more for it.

But there needs to be feature-parity across the OLED models. After the X, no one is going to buy the argument that some special camera improvement can only be unique to the 6.5" model.

I only ever bought the Plus models for the camera, and I'm ecstatic that the X has come down to reality with a usable size AND all of the hardware Apple can dish out.

I'm never, ever going to buy a 6.5" iPhone and I will be extremely irritated if I'm missing out on camera or other hardware features because Apple chose to make them unique to the "premium" model.

19. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Shanesan

Jeez Apple, take a step back and remember that smaller can be better.

20. JPark macrumors 6502a

What I'd really like is an iPhone SE X (may need to rethink the name)--an edge-to-edge design in a smaller iPhone SE form factor.

21. dude-x macrumors regular

I won't be surprised to a see a Plus sized OLED model. But everything in between I am doubtful. What I would like to see is ProMotion, I feel that my iPhone X has a bit of ghosting which is too noticeable compared to the ghosting on the 7+, which is barely imperceptible.

And one more thing... the notch needs to go. While it's a good compromise for the branding of an Apple device, it's an ugly design aesthetic.

22. ratigator macrumors regular

ratigator

Seems odd that they'd have both a 5.8" and a 6.1" display. If this is accurate, my wife might need to start getting used to the idea that they probably aren't going to be making a phone as small as the SE again.

23. KeyMs92 macrumors regular

24. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I get the 6.5" and 5.8", but why not make the LCD one smaller (maybe 5")? Make it more of a budget version, to replace the SE form factor. Guess that just makes too much sense.