Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, we saw some conflicting designs for what the upcoming 4-inch iPhone 5se or SE might look like, based on information obtained from case manufacturers. With less than three weeks to go before the device's introduction, we're now seeing the first actual "iPhone SE" cases surface online, although it's clear these companies have yet to nail down just what the phone will look like.

iphone_5se_case_1.jpg
iPhone 5se/SE case with iPhone 5s-like design including power button on top

As revealed in images obtained by MacRumors, distributors offering "iPhone 5se" cases for bulk purchase are carrying cases of both rumored designs, which include one very similar to the iPhone 5 or 5s design with the power button on the top and another more like the iPhone 6 design with rounded edges and the power button on the side.

iphone_5se_case_2.jpg
iPhone 5se/SE case with iPhone 6-like design including power button on side

Early case leaks have historically been fairly accurate indicators of new iPhone designs, though there have been a few notable exceptions. With two distinct case designs still floating around this close to the iPhone SE's launch, it's clear there is still confusion over just what Apple intends to release.

Yesterday, we published our own take on one way to reconcile the conflicting rumors, combining a curved-edge front glass panel that has been a consistent feature of iPhone 5se/SE rumors with a metal chassis that has a bit of the iPhone 5s design aesthetic including glass antenna windows at the top and bottom of the device's back.

Article Link: First iPhone SE Cases Start Appearing With Conflicting Designs

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I would figure this iPhone SE has already been in manufacturing since January. Makes me feel like the iPhone SE will look exactly like the 5s because had someone seen something different, there would be no debate (especially from case-makers).

Reactions: Ballis

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Protruding camera, terribly obvious antenna lines, no 3d touch will mean no upgrade from my 4s, a time when good clean design principles actually mattered to Apple. I will wait another two more years or change brand.

Customers collectively pay Apple billions of $ to make decisions about products that exceed design standards in every way across many criteria. It's not acceptable for Apple to continue to release products that are unresolved and feature compromises such as that seen in the iPhone 6/6s.

5671947103_3a805281be_b.jpg

Last edited:

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Does this mean that Apple may have finally solved their leak issue? The double down on secrecy may finally be paying off. :D

Reactions: AleXXXa

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Protruding camera, terribly obvious antenna lines, no 3d touch will mean no upgrade from my 4s, a time when good design principles actually mattered. I will wait another two more years, or change brand.
LOOLLLL 4S has antenna breaks as well. And the industrial exoskeleton, that the glass sticks out from on the front and rear.

Reactions: Radeon85

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Protruding camera, terribly obvious antenna lines, no 3d touch will mean no upgrade from my 4s, a time when good design principles actually mattered. I will wait another two more years, or change brand.

I'm sorry, but are you seriously so concerned about details that you'll switch brands just for minor things you wouldn't even notice while using it?

I mean, I love details, so I choose the iPhone. Have you ever used Android? Particularity with a skin from the manufacturer?

3D Touch remains to be seen, all depends on price point.

Reactions: SMacDuff

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
I hope they keep 5S design, but it's a very high-end design that is far more work and costly to produce than the 6 type case.
If it's only a "special edition" one-off, then I think it will be the 5s body. If they do intend to keep it around for a while as a lower priced alternative, then they will go with a 6-ish design minus the glass cut-outs.

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012

There are lots of people like this.
They don' t even like the design of the 5/s.
" back in de old days".......

I think the 4s was great for its time, I loved the design. But when I got hold of the stealth black iPhone 5, I never looked back.
The 4s looks dated now, really...
Try something new, you could grow to like it...

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I'm amazed that companies take such a risk developing accessories for Apple products that might not even exist. I assume their profit margins on their released products are high enough to offset their R&D costs for the versions that turn out to be wrong.

rockosmodurnlif

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2007
New York, NY
The iPhone 4/4S is the most beautifully designed phone I've ever used. I plan on buying the SE & would then buy the 7 months later if it copycatted the iPhone 4 design.

Reactions: AleXXXa and cardfan

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
I have family members still rocking the 4s/5 that are looking forward to this updated model - they find the 6/6+ too big.

Based on the rumors, the specs are basically a 6/6s - for off contract $ 450 (US) are quite reasonable.

A9
8/12MP iSight Camera
5MP 1080p Facetime camera with Retina flash
New LTE chip (up 300 Mbps)
Wifi (up to 868 Mbps)
Touch ID (with NFC/Apple Pay)
2GB RAM
Case redesign

Last edited:

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
Please please please let this mean that there are two phones coming - a high-end model for those of us who want the latest hardware in a one-not-immense-hand form factor and a low-end model for those who want something inexpensive!

Reactions: Ankaa

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I jumped from 5s to 6S+. Best decision of my (iPhone) life. I thought that I would've never loved it, now I can't live without it.

I think the 4s was great for its time, I loved the design. But when I got hold of the stealth black iPhone 5, I never looked back.

I went from 4s to 5s to 6s Plus. Here are my thoughts: 4/4s had the best size, 5/5s had the best look/feel, 6/6s Plus has the most power/features (obviously). And after about 3 months with the 6s Plus, I've decided it's a great device, and 3D Touch is useful, but I'm just a small phone type of guy--there's no more denying it. I'm selling this thing and going back to my 5s which still runs great. I'll be keeping my eye on this iPhone SE however. And I really hope they don't move the power button to the side.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I jumped from 5s to 6S+. Best decision of my (iPhone) life. I thought that I would've never loved it, now I can't live without it.

6S+ FTW and I came from a 4S.

So, it was like Christmas x 2.

Like the design of the 4s better and didn't like the elongated 5, so I waited.

Since I put a case on my iPhones I no longer care about the design.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
I went from 4s to 5s to 6s Plus. Here are my thoughts: 4/4s had the best size, 5/5s had the best look/feel, 6/6s Plus has the most power/features (obviously). And after about 3 months with the 6s Plus, I've decided it's a great device, and 3D Touch is useful, but I'm just a small phone type of guy--there's no more denying it. I'm selling this thing and going back to my 5s which still runs great. I'll be keeping my eye on this iPhone SE however. And I really hope they don't move the power button to the side.
Perfect iPhone for me would be an iPhone 5s but with a 4.2/4.3 inch screen in the same sized unibody as the 5s.
1334x750 res
A9 2gb
12 mp camera +5 mp front camera
3D Touch
NFC

Not gonna happen though, it would be a direct competitor to the iPhone 6s. And is bad for margins for Apple .
Love the design of the 5s, but don' t like the big bezels and chins.

Reactions: AleXXXa

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Protruding camera, terribly obvious antenna lines, no 3d touch will mean no upgrade from my 4s, a time when good design principles actually mattered. I will wait another two more years or change brand.

5671947103_3a805281be_b.jpg

They may have looked better, but the antennas sucked compared to the new design. I had to send 6 iPhone 4's back because of anttena signal drops in an area where all other phones were getting full bars.

And you would drop the functionality of iOS because of two bands that are probably hidden under a case? Just curious.

bstpierre

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
I'm amazed that companies take such a risk developing accessories for Apple products that might not even exist. I assume their profit margins on their released products are high enough to offset their R&D costs for the versions that turn out to be wrong.

I suspect there is no R&D at this point. They are probably just paying for tools and at this stage, probably just cheaper soft tools. That way they can afford to take a chance and be in the game for all the customers who want a case on launch day and once the details are out they can work on the hard tools for the long run.

Reactions: Sea Bass

Nanotyrns

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2012
Denver

OMG the slate black 5/5s was indeed beautiful. I miss that true slate color.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
LOOLLLL 4S has antenna breaks as well. And the industrial exoskeleton, that the glass sticks out from on the front and rear.
The antenna breaks on the 4S aluminum edge don't really compare to the 5S glass antenna windows that section the back of the phone into three quarters. The 4S is a much cleaner look than the 5S and personally, has been the best looking iPhone to date.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.