Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The team behind the "Checkra1n" jailbreaking tool for iOS has released version 0.11.0 of its software with support added for iOS 14, but only on a limited number of devices.

In a statement accompanying the announcement of the software release, the team said that it needed "more time to work around a new security mitigation" added by Apple before it could support jailbreaking iOS 14 on newer devices.
In iOS 14, Apple added a new mitigation to SEPOS on A10 and above (except on Apple TVs and iBridge): if the device was booted from DFU mode and the Secure Enclave receives a request to decrypt user data, it will panic the device. Since checkm8 does not give us control over the Secure Enclave, this is not trivial to workaround. However, with the recently published blackbird vulnerability, we are able to get control of the Secure Enclave on A10 and A10X and disable this mitigation. Support for A10 and A10X devices is being worked on and is expected to be ready in the coming weeks.
As a result of the security mitigation, the new version of "Checkra1n" works for iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 on the following devices.
  • iPhone 6s, 6s Plus, and SE
  • iPad (5th generation)
  • iPad Air 2
  • iPad mini 4
  • iPad Pro (1st generation)
  • Apple TV 4 and 4K
The team said it hoped to support newer devices in the coming weeks, with support for iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X to "be addressed in a future statement."

"Checkra1n" is made by the same security researchers responsible for last year's "checkm8" exploit, which was found on nearly every chip made by Apple and paved the way for a permanent, non-patchable jailbreak on hundreds of millions of affected iOS devices.

"Checkm8" was the first publicly available boot room exploit for iOS devices since the iPhone 4 in 2010.

Article Link: First Jailbreak for iOS 14 Limited to Devices With A9(X) Chip and Below

Ultramove69

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2017
Columbus Ohio, USA
I’m not being sarcastic, snarky, etc but why is jail breaking still a thing? I agree in the early 1.0 and 2.0 days there were tons of customizations that added functionality or perhaps utility like Personal Hotspot or even recording video. These days iOS seems so customizable (down to icon changing and widgets) that jailbreaking doesn’t seem to have value anymore.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
So much judgment in this thread right off the bat lol. Jailbreaking is a great option to change things in iOS that you just don’t like. For example, jailbreaking would allow me to watch 4K YouTube videos on my iPad Pro 10.5, a feature I should’ve already had.

Billyk711

Suspended
Sep 26, 2015

The team behind the "Checkra1n" jailbreaking tool for iOS has released version 0.11.0 of its software with support added for iOS 14, but only on a limited number of devices.

In a statement accompanying the announcement of the software release, the team said that it needed "more time to work around a new security mitigation" added by Apple before it could support jailbreaking iOS 14 on newer devices.
As a result of the security mitigation, the new version of "Checkra1n" works for iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 on the following devices.
  • iPhone 6s, 6s Plus, and SE
  • iPad (5th generation)
  • iPad Air 2
  • iPad mini 4
  • iPad Pro (1st generation)
  • Apple TV 4 and 4K
The team said it hoped to support newer devices in the coming weeks, with support for iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X to "be addressed in a future statement."

"Checkra1n" is made by the same security researchers responsible for last year's "checkm8" exploit, which was found on nearly every chip made by Apple and paved the way for a permanent, non-patchable jailbreak on hundreds of millions of affected iOS devices.

"Checkm8" was the first publicly available boot room exploit for iOS devices since the iPhone 4 in 2010.

Article Link: First Jailbreak for iOS 14 Limited to Devices With A9(X) Chip and Below
That is awesome for the 12 people that jailbreak their phone so they can tinker around in settings,

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
I will install it on my old iPhone 6s just because I like playing around with stuff and to see what I may miss. I am guessing not much since I am sure none of the tweaks have been updated for iOS 14 yet.

Things I liked back in the iOS10 days:

1. Locking ANY app with TouchID / FaceID
  2. Changing default apps (partly solved now)
  3. Rearrange and resize App Icons any way I want
  4. Change the Quick-Access App from the Lockscreen like why do we need a camera button if we can just swipe? I would rather set it to open another 3rd party app.

There was more but I forgot about it over the years. I would also like to have the battery percentage inside of the battery icon in the status bar (there is room for that!) on iPhone X >

repoman016

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
Ohio
Those who crap on jailbreaking have probably never done it before. Sure its a bit dated with the new iOS features (that apple stole/borrowed from the jailbreaking community, you're welcome haters) but that doesn't mean the enthusiasts just stop doing it. There are features that aren't for everyone and some people like to have more customization than what apple likes to tell us we have to use.

jonatanheyman

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2018
I’m not being sarcastic, snarky, etc but why is jail breaking still a thing? I agree in the early 1.0 and 2.0 days there were tons of customizations that added functionality or perhaps utility like Personal Hotspot or even recording video. These days iOS seems so customizable (down to icon changing and widgets) that jailbreaking doesn’t seem to have value anymore.

Journalists (or others) who want to be able to record phone calls can do that on a jailbroken iPhone (or at least it was possible a couple of years ago on my iPhone 4S). Just one example, but I'm sure there are more.

Note: I know that secretly recording phone calls might be illegal in some countries/jurisdictions - which might be the reason for why there is no built in feature for this in iOS - but it's definitely not the case in all countries (e.g. in Sweden it's allowed as long as you are taking part in the conversation that is being secretly recorded).

evansls

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2004
Leesburg, VA
You ask every iOS release, is the jailbreak community still a thing? As long as there are developers, there will always be a group of developers willing to reverse engineer security and crack it open. Think of it more of a right of passage for some devs while also keeping Apple on its security toes.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Here I thought jail breaking was for unsupported devices. I was looking at the list of devices to see if my old iPhone 6 was there or if someone figured out how to run 32 bit apps. Nope. Next.

Okasian

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2017

• Running unsigned apps without having them tethered to a disposable Apple Developer Account is possible with a jailbreak.
  • Can use older versions of existing apps, assuming you’ve retained the .ipa.
    • Old Music.app without the AM tabs and other visual regressions, if you’re not an AM subscriber.
    • Old Fantastical.app is nice, for example.
  • Crontab-style functionality can keep stuff running in the background, such as server ‘health checks’, UNIX shell scripts
    • Obviously it’s your responsibility to ensure you don’t drain your battery.
  • Piracy or .ipa’s with all in-app purchases unlocked, etc
  • Location spoofing
  • Things like Picture-in-Picture, which I guess they’ve finally introduced in iOS 14, but you’ve been able to do it for quite some time.
  • Removal of the ‘Widgetsmith’ NSLabel from widgets (not actually sure if that’s a thing yet, but I’m guessing it will be due to limitations of iOS 14 still)
& 500+ other, very specific reasons that 98% of iOS users wont really care for, and that’s okay.

iHack13

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
city of octoberfest
Widgets are crammed to the little Today Screen on the iPad. And the rest of the huge screen is filled with stupidly spaced App Icons.
The Jailbreak is still needed to fix Apple's logic and decision issues, in cases like this.

I hope the Jailbreak comes to the other iPads too.

darkpaw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
London, England
Which removes income from the developers.

One of my apps was pirated, and made freely available, and I saw the income drop right off. It never recovered. People didn't want to pay $0.99 for an app. By allowing this to happen, these checkra1n people are hurting thousands of developers, including one-man setups like me.

filchermcurr

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2016

Okasian posted a good list. I'll add that an outgoing firewall and hosts file editing are also valuable. It's amazing the places these applications try to go...

Reactions: Pow!

Ultramove69

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2017
Columbus Ohio, USA
  • Running unsigned apps without having them tethered to a disposable Apple Developer Account is possible with a jailbreak.
  • Can use older versions of existing apps, assuming you’ve retained the .ipa.
    • Old Music.app without the AM tabs and other visual regressions, if you’re not an AM subscriber.
    • Old Fantastical.app is nice, for example.
  • Crontab-style functionality can keep stuff running in the background, such as server ‘health checks’, UNIX shell scripts
    • Obviously it’s your responsibility to ensure you don’t drain your battery.
  • Location spoofing
  • Things like Picture-in-Picture, which I guess they’ve finally introduced in iOS 14, but you’ve been able to do it for quite some time.
  • Removal of the ‘Widgetsmith’ NSLabel from widgets (not actually sure if that’s a thing yet, but I’m guessing it will be due to limitations of iOS 14 still)
& 500+ other, very specific reasons that 98% of iOS users wont really care for, and that’s okay.

Thank you. This does help me better understand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.