First Look: Apple's bionic iPhone X with Face ID (Has small segment showing TouchID speed vs FaceID)

citivolus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
That first video comparing the speed of Touch ID and face id is very interesting. I wonder if you can swipe up on the X as you lift it up before the screen comes on to getting to the home screen even faster?

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
thanks for making a gif out of it. I did note in that video he unlocks his phone without a swipe by just looking at it. How is that possible? Is that to be enabled somewhere?

Aibocyrus

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2015
Pretty fast. You’re gunna be looking at your phone no matter what to check it so definitely don’t see any issues with FaceID. He was also using it outdoors with no issue.

Reactions: Vampire14

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
That first video comparing the speed of Touch ID and face id is very interesting. I wonder if you can swipe up on the X as you lift it up before the screen comes on to getting to the home screen even faster?
Yes, when the screen comes on you can immedialy swipe up. Face ID then will unlock the device after its successfully scanned your face.

andyw715

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2013
All I can say and theorize is that Touch ID under the glass would be the slowest to use of the 3.

Neither the current Touch ID button nor Face ID really need your full attention, but an area under a screen without some tactile response would require you to actually look for the area and press it.

If you do that you might as well just dump the button, like Apple did early on in iPhone X dev, and glace up at the camera.

Zaft

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
All I can say and theorize is that Touch ID under the glass would be the slowest to use of the 3.

Neither the current Touch ID button nor Face ID really need your full attention, but an area under a screen without some tactile response would require you to actually look for the area and press it.

If you do that you might as well just dump the button, like Apple did early on in iPhone X dev, and glace up at the camera.
Not necessarily, since its OLED you can have an always on button like the S8.

Renho

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Yes you can, as you take it out of your pocket you can swipe up, then it hits ur face and ur in...
[doublepost=1509461647][/doublepost]
thanks for making a gif out of it. I did note in that video he unlocks his phone without a swipe by just looking at it. How is that possible? Is that to be enabled somewhere?
No, he swiped up before the phone was up to his face. So you can still swipe up when it’s locked and asleep.
[doublepost=1509461734][/doublepost]
Another note, we don’t want it to unlock without swiping up. Then we would never see our notifications. The whole reason for the swipping up gesture.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
Here comes numerous Face ID lag threads #faceidgate

Apple INTENTIONALLY slowed down Face ID etc etc.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
At 0:52 seconds, is something wrong with the screen to the right of the sensors? Looks almost like dead pixels...
Is it the blinking IR sensor?

Disregard, watched it. I see what you're saying but every phone is different and it could be glare or something. Just look at your phone when you get it and decide.

Leica Dad

Suspended
Sep 28, 2017
I guess we all knew the Touch ID will be faster, especially if the swipe up gesture is required.
Only if there is a way to disable it, or maybe future software update to give us the option to. By then we can really find out which is faster.
The plus side is you can easily unlock your phone in cold weather without having to take off your glove. I visited NYC last winter and found it very annoying, especially if you have to enter your passcode while surrounding by hundreds of people.