First Mac Pro - WOW

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Toknee, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Toknee macrumors member

OK, I am an admitted former Apple Mac basher.

I first purchased a 2.4Ghz 15" MBP, and thought it was really nice, and wondered how it would be to use a mac pro.

My GF saw me drooling over the ACD 30" at the apple store, and I would always make an excuse to go see it everytime we were at the mall. Well, she surprised me for my Bday and got me the darn thing.

So for 36 hours, I was staring at this 30" behemoth, and felt that it was missing something....a Mac Pro to go along with it!

So off I go, pick up a 2.66Ghz, with 1GB. Pull the 1GB out, install 4 x 2GB FB-DIMMS, flashed and installed one of the X1900XT 512MB I had laying around. Install 2 WD Raptor 10,000RPM 150GB Hard Drives. I am one of those former PC nutcases, who had to build the latest and greatest gaming rig, and had a bunch of parts laying around from former builds.

So, after the hardware swap around, OS install, Boot Camp, Parralels, I start using the thing as I normally would use a PC, during the course of my day. I really like the OSX interface, and was just loving running XP on Parralells, to perform my day to day work activities. Surf the net, have a ton of downloads running, using Word, Excel, and Quickbooks to do job quotes on, and I am loving this set up. Totally KICK A**, I am loving every minute of it.

A little background, this all started because I have a client who is transitiong from a PC based system, to Mac Equipment. So I had to buy the MBP, in order to work with the apps, and planning of the hardware and software rollout. Now I see the logic that the owner of this company has. She has always been Mac crazy, and would always try to convince me to switch over.

These new Intel based Macs are unreal. I was never fond of the PPC G4/G5 macs, but the current crop of Macs out there are in a league of their own.

Now I want Leopord, Vista is a dud, I think Apple will do better with the next gen OS.

2. -kritter- macrumors regular

-kritter-

congrats, i wish i wasnt a jobless teen so as that i could buy a mac pro a.k.a my dream computer...enjoy that beast!!!

3. Southern macrumors regular

Southern

Haha, I love the way that you say "oh I just cobbled some more RAM and a graphics card together" - reminds me of my old adventures with PC builds.

I bet the MBP/MP+30" combination is awesome to behold!

4. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

5. Lycanthrope macrumors 6502a

That's quite some birthday present I must say.

Don't not use Tiger waiting for Leopard though...

Buying a Mac Pro was a smart move for me too - my computer time productivity went through the roof.

6. TheChillPill macrumors regular

Firstly, congrats on a great birthday gift.

Secondly, does she have a sister? ;-p

7. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

..and is she good looking? Scratch that. Any girl who buys me a 30" ACD is good looking even if she's ugly.

8. Paulsan macrumors member

Nice.

9. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

10. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Wow, awesome birthday present! Congratulations on your purchase.

Don't expect too much from Leopard... think of it more as a basic update to Tiger. XP to Vista is way more dramatic.

11. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I would like to think it will be more than a basic update to Tiger ... :eek:

12. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Don't get your hopes up... :eek:

13. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Too late !!! I already have .. ;)

14. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Congratulations on the machine - another Mac Pro/30" ACD user here, it's quite a combination. Certainly the most powerful and most reliable machine I have ever owned.

15. • Jaz • macrumors member

16. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Don't judge Leopard based on a bunch of screen shots. Aesthetically it does look like a "basic update to Tiger" but there's a hell of a lot going on under the hood.

17. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Man you ain't jokin. I have a thinkpad I used for work projects that require a pc. Figured I might as well install that vista ultimate on it I have lying around. Installed without problems, until I installed PHP and mysql. WHAT A NIGHTMARE. Still have not got it working. Intalled php and mysql on my mac pro in 5 minutes. Messed with vista.... 5hrs. Its crap. Its XP with the stuff moved around in different places so you can't find it.

18. CaddDood macrumors newbie

Major Congrats !

I recently bought a new 8-core to replace my 5+ year old Quicksilver G4. I'm feeling like a giddy kid every time I sit in front of it... :D

Pop that Apple 1GB back in the box. With FB dimms you won't take any performance hit for using 5GB VS 4GB, you'll just have more memory. I also bought 4GB to add to the 1GB I got with my box.

19. MacTO macrumors member

MacTO

Congrats!

Although I have 2 23" ACDs, whenever I hear of 30" ACD stories and see pictures of them, it literally makes me stop doing whatever I was doing at that moment and drool for few seconds. 30" ACDs are just a beautiful thing to look at. Period. Have fun with it.

Cheers. :apple:

20. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

21. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

I'm looking to get a Mac Pro fairly soon. My Mac mini is great, but I need more expandability. Plus, running XP in a vm sucks up all the resources. Opening Photoshop at the same time slows it to a crawl.

My main concern is: how loud is the MP? I'm used to the mini, which I cannot hear at all. I used to have a dual Opteron setup (still have it, not using it), and that thing was LOUD.

22. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I hear nothing but the hard drive, even when the MP is under heavy load.

23. loyallion macrumors newbie

you guys are killing me here.

I'm thinking of getting this fairly soon,

2.66ghz
    4g
    ATI 1900x

trying to stay in $3g

I thought this will do fine, but ll of you have like 8-core, 8G ram and stuff.
    :eek:

What do you guys do with it?
    I'm mostly trying to run, After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, 3D Max, Final Cut, Premiere and stuff. Yeah, I'm a motion graphic designer.
    What about you guys?
    Oh, I think it's good idea to share what we do in terms of using this machine.
    THE MAC PRO
    also, do you guys like running the Windows in Mac?

24. Og Oggilby macrumors regular

Congrats Toknee! Nice setup, I'm sure you will enjoy it :apple:

25. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

7-10 week wait for that old ATI card. Better plan accordingly.