First Mac purchase and I need a few suggestions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Duffinator, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Duffinator macrumors 6502

Duffinator

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a 24" iMac model MB418LL/A. This is my first Mac and I'm wondering what else I should buy with it. I'll be buying it from Macconnection and adding iWork, wireless Mighty Mouse and keyboard with the numeric keypad. I'll just flip the original keyboard and mouse on eBay.

The iMac will be connected to my home network via ethernet with my current PC on it with a D-Link wireless router. My HP printer is also on the network. The iMac will be mostly used for internet, email, ripping video, iTunes, and the usual word processing, spreadsheet, and powerpoint type stuff when my wife and I bring home work. I may load Windows on it at some point to access a couple of apps from work but this could be a year or more down the road when my PC finally dies!

First any issues with Macconnection? They currently offer a $90 rebate plus no sales tax so there's some cost savings to be had.

What software is good for ripping DVD's into a format that can be used on my ATV and Touch? I see handbrake mentioned a lot.

Is there a better mouse option that I should consider? I'm used to Microsoft wireless.

I also have Quicken 2007 Mac. I know this isn't as good as the Windows version but I don't want to switch from Quicken, at least right now.

Any advice you can share is appreciated.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Welcome to the fold. Duff Man would be proud of your name.

HandBrake is probably the best solution. As of the latest release, you also need software called VLC to rip DVDs, which is perfectly fine, as you really, really want to have VLC anyway. Also, get Perian as an addon to QuickTime.

Use whatever mouse to which you are accustomed. Keep in mind that if your "wireless" mouse is RF instead of Bluetooth, you'll still need whatever dongle it came with.

Oh, and no, you don't need any sort of virus or spyware software.;)

At all.

3. Duffinator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duffinator

Ah I wasn't aware the wireless mouse was bluetooth. My current ones are RF and I bet (hope) bluetooth works better!

4. Duffinator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duffinator

One of the reasons I'm finally jumping ship after thinking about it for almost two years. :D

5. Duffinator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duffinator

What about transferring my links from Firefox and contacts from Outlook? Is there some sort of utility that helps with that?

6. DELTAsnake macrumors 6502

DELTAsnake

There are people that swear by the Mighty Mouse, there are alot of others that say it's complete garbage. I suggest holding off on the Wireless MM purchase to see if you like it.

Personally using the MM on a friends mac and the ones on display at the Dick Smith store I'm in the camp of people that think it's garbage.

I'm planing to get the new Sidewinder X8 mouse or the Steelserise WoW mouse. The local independent Apple Store said they have never seen a mouse that dosn't work on the mac. The advice I've gotten on the forum is that to have the extra features work on some high end mouse you may need a 3rd party driver.

So if your used to Microsoft mice you can still use them if you want to.

7. Duffinator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duffinator

Excellent advice. I'll use the wired one to see if I like it and then decide which wireless mouse I want to use.

8. LaDirection macrumors 6502

You don't need VLC to rip anything, but do get it. VLC is a freeware video player that plays back pretty much anything.

To convert DVD's to xvid or x264 .avi's, get D-Vision which is the best by far.

To move your PC files to Mac:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1408?viewlocale=en_US

Moving PC Outlook to Apple Mail.app

http://guides.macrumors.com/Moving_Email_from_PC_Outlook_to_Apple_Mail

As for your mouse, the best mouse I've EVER tried is the Microsoft (!) Comfort Optical Mouse, I have the wired version, inexpensive, incredibly accurate and reliable. Avoid Apple mouse at all cost, this is one area where they suck big time.

Also, the best decision you can make is to forget the $90 rebate and go to a Apple Store directly if you have one close. The extra service and advice you will get is MORE than worth it (and they probably have some in store promotion too).

9. Duffinator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duffinator

Thanks for the links.

I just placed the order so with any luck it will be here next Friday.

10. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

The latest Handbrake (0.9.3) requires VLC for decrypting DVDs.

11. Duffinator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duffinator

That's nice, I'll keep that one in mind.

12. Duffinator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duffinator

My new iMac arrived Thursday afternoon and I'm in the process of setting everything up from my PC. A pain and a bit frustrating but I'm sure the end result will be worth it! :D

The guides here are helpful. Is there a way to move my Contacts and Calendar files from XP to Leopard?

I'm glad I didn't purchase the Apple bluetooth mouse as I'm not digging the wired one. It seems as Microsoft doesn't have many bluetooth mice available. I have the 5000 at work and I'd like to get that one for my Mac. Any other suggestions on a bluetooth mouse (or rf with a small dongle) are appreciated.

13. Duffinator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duffinator

Bump

Any help on moving my contacts and scheduled calendar appointments from Office 2007 in XP to my new Mac would be greatly appreciated.

14. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I use a wireless Mighty Mouse with my Macbook (the one that came with my iMac) and an MX revolution on my iMac. There's no real difference in performance between Bluetooth and RF, there's just the dongle issue. Mine's plugged into my keyboard, so it's not an issue.

15. Prabz26 macrumors regular

Prabz26

sorry to but in if u dont mind....

but i didnt want to start a new short thread
    can anyone answer this...

When you buy a computer (iMac)

like online can you the keyboard without number pad
    and switch it free of cost for
    one with a number pad cuz it says you can online
    but if u cant then ill order online
    instead of going to the apple store

and can u buy applecare from the apple store???

16. Duffinator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duffinator

I was unable to swap keyboards with MacConnection. You can do it purchasing it at the Apple Store. I just bought the extra keyboard and will sell the original without the keypad on eBay this weekend.

17. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You can switch keyboards, not necessarily for free.

You can buy Applecare from the Apple store, either online or brick-and-mortar. But I hear it's cheaper on eBay.

18. Prabz26 macrumors regular

Prabz26

but they will switch it at the apple store right?? (juss makin sure)
    and im betting not for a lot cuz u can upgrade to wireless for about $30

19. Duffinator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duffinator

Yes, go to the buy now page and you can configure the Mac the way you want it. Under keyboard there is an option to order the keyboard with number pad at no additional cost.

20. Prabz26 macrumors regular

Prabz26

Duffinator
    i stated that before i know (not trying to sound out of line juss sayin)
    im juss askin can you do the same at the apple store
    if i go to the apple store to get my iMac?
    like will they open the box up and switch up the keyboards?

21. Duffinator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duffinator

You mean a B&M Apple Store? I have no idea. Unless they have them in the box that way I doubt they will open it up and switch it for you.

22. Prabz26 macrumors regular

Prabz26

ya i ment apple retail store
    thats what i was askin
    cuz i really want the buy something from an Apple Store Experience
    but ill give that up if i cant switch keyboards lol

i juss thought someone may have done the switch and knew......
    When it comes time to get my iMac ill juss call the store
    but thought by askin here i could skip that hassle

23. Duffinator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duffinator

I've downloaded both but HB isn't recognizing VLC. I've tried ripping a movie and it recognizes the video but when I start to rip it crashes. Any ideas of what might be wrong?

24. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The MM rules. The whole point of wireless mice is to NOT use a USB port. Any RF mice are not wireless in my opinion. You just cut off the cable but not the port it takes up. The MM on the other hand is truly wireless, no ports taken up except bluetooth, but multiple bluetooth devices connected at the same time work fine. I have the Apple Wireless keyboard and Mighty Mouse and they both work fine on bluetooth.

But yea, if the MS mouse you have works, then go for it. Maybe stick the RF dongle on the USB port on the keyboard?