First Macbook - Refurb?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ijf440, Oct 21, 2008.

1. ijf440 macrumors newbie

Hi folks,

I am thinking about buing my first Macbook. I held off buying for the past couple of months as I as waiting for the new MB to come out. However, the price increase of the new model has really put me off... I was really thinking of spending 700GBP max. I may be better off going for one of the smart Asus or Lenovo machines and running Linux.

I notice that there are no standard MBs for sale on Apple's refurb site. Is it likely that there will be some soon? Also, will they be flogging old MBs or the new aluminum MBs?

Thanks in advance,
    Ian

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The refurb site shows whatever is available at the time. It changes daily. I'm sure more will come available in time.

3. Zig macrumors newbie

719 GBP will buy you a 2.1ghz white macbook...

Or 675.63 GBP educational price :apple:

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Apple uses the "refurbished" store to sell old models. So most of the old models that were not sold went to the refurbished store; there were some good bargains for MacBooks on the UK refurbished store for a few days; they are gone now. There are still some good MacBook Pros. Other the next weeks, some more will likely appear; Apple probably keeps a few in reserve to give them to customers who received a defective model and these will slowly go to the refurbished store.

Well, why would Apple put new aluminium MacBooks on the refurbished store? That will take a while. For that to happen, someone must buy the MacBook, then find a problem or return it for some reason, then whatever problems are there get fixed, then they go to the refurbished store. That will take some time.

Anyway, the white MacBook is a very fine computer. It is rock solid, it has plenty of speed, you can attach a 1920 x 1200 monitor if you want, you can very easily upgrade the hard drive and memory when you need to (£100 and 10 minutes if you are slow to upgrade to 4 GB / 320 GB).

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I bought mine refurbished, but was never used. I got it when the 2.4's came out.

Usually, they are someone else's return, but also, Apple takes old stock from the stores and sells them as refurbished when new ones are introduced.