First month AT&T bill $150?!?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by melterx12, Jul 27, 2010.

1. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

My 55$ AT&T plan was created with my iPhone 4... Why is my first month 150$!?!?!

2. -MRB macrumors 6502

Sometimes you pay the first two bills in one lump sum.

I know I did.

3. melterx12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

******** I used phone for 1 month how dare they charge ne for something i didn't use yet or authorize!

4. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Activation fees tax hidden fees and sometime what the guy above said.

5. -MRB macrumors 6502

It happens with a few things.

Like if you rent an apartment or something, they'll ask you to pay for the first month, and another month in advance.

The reason being, is if you wanted to move out, the owner would have that months pay in advance so you can just leave straight away.

I think :)

6. melterx12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don live in an apartment, I wanted to cancel my contract after first month how dare they ****ing charge me for months I didn't use yet!!!

7. mcqueen macrumors member

Is this your first phone contract? The first bill is always huge, it's even explained for you in the bill and they warn you in the contract you signed - which most people don't read, of course :confused:

8. MicroApple macrumors regular

lol fail of the day, the apartment was an example not literally pertaining to whether you live in a apartment or not.

9. dagored macrumors 65816

Did you read the contract? Verizon did this with me years ago, like 10. They are not just singling you out. It happens to all new customers.

MRB did not mean you live in an apartment - he was giving you an example - most renters are required to put down a first and last months rent.

10. BadMoon macrumors 6502

How dare they? LOL! Don't you think you should have asked how they bill before buying the phone? :rolleyes:

11. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

Dude I am not sure what rock you've been under but cell phone companies have done it this way for years. Nextel didn't do it until they where bought out by Sprint and when that happened I got a bill for 2 months in the middle of my contract. You always pay for your cell service a month ahead.

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Doesn't it cost to cancel the contract early? :confused:

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well then you probably should have read the contract you signed a little more carefully. Especially with regards to canceling after the first month, because you'll now be on the hook for a $325 dollar Early Termination Fee if you want to walk away from the AT&T contract.

The activation fees, monthly costs AND what your first bill will look like is spelled out before you sign off on the contract.

14. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

15. cirial macrumors regular

16. melterx12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know all about the ETF. I wanted to pay my first month and jump off this damn ship. If i Canceled before my first month I would need to return the phone. Now I need to pay TWO MONTHS In addition to the ETF. This is ********. Why does signing up for an AT&T contract feel like signing a contract for my soul to satan?? If they think im paying for another month they are very VERY wrong.

17. ftf macrumors member

dude, as everyone has already told you this is standard practice and not even specific to AT&T. Rant all you want but it's not going to get you anywhere - good luck with the debt collectors etc :cool:

18. melterx12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

19. malevolant macrumors 6502

I can't wait for you to go back to verizon or tmobile and get charged for two months again. Then you can go to iheartverizon.com and complain so that we don't have to hear it

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I hate to state the obvious but you signed a contracting agreeing to a monthly charge. AT&T doesn't care if you use the phone or not. Think of it this way, you buy a car and finance it. Do you owe the bank the first car payment even if you didn't use the car? Of course, likewise with a cell phone contract. You agreed to pay a monthly amount for certain minutes/data/texting. Don't blame AT&T for your lack of grasp of the contract you signed.

21. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Pro-rating a second month of service is common.

If you do cancel your contract now at the beginning of your 2nd month or wtf ever you're trying to pull, you could probably talk the AT&T rep who cancels your account into removing the charges for the second bill cycle.

22. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

23. satirev macrumors 6502

Whats even worse is if you sign up with a FAN discount you won't get your discount until after the second month of billing because it takes "two months to process." what a joke.

24. rmead001 macrumors member

@OP

Stop acting like a 5 year old child. ATT (pretty sure VZW also) charges you your first 2 months for your first bill. This is done because you are always paying for your month in advance. So when you get the phone you get a bill 1 month later. That is the bill for your first months payment and your next months payment. This is the way it works. If you don't like it cancel.

25. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You paid for you monthly service on the beginning of your billing cycle, that was in the contract that you agreed, it is not AT&T faults that you didn't read it.
    Anyway if you intend to cancel your service after the first month, you will get refund it the prorated amount for that month. YOu will have to pay just for your ETF and the days you use your phone.

Everything is explain in the contract, if you didn't agree you shouldn't have sign it