First Multi-Core Mobile Platform Demonstrated

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ST-Ericsson and ARM announced today that they will be demonstrating the world's first Symmetric Multi Processing (SMP)-enabled mobile platform at a private event at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.
The technological breakthrough is the first of its kind and is based on the ARM(R) Cortex(TM)-A9 multicore processor, which represents a significant leap from previous generations of baseband/application processor architectures by providing unprecedented levels of performance and power efficiency.
An ST-Ericsson representative explains that having multiple processor cores will improve real-time performance on mobile devices for a better user experience. The demonstration model will, of course, be running the Symbian OS.

The same Cortex-A9 multicore processor has been postulated as the CPU behind the rumors of Apple's next generation iPhone. ZDNet reported that the next generation iPhone could support up to quad-core processors. There has been some debate about how quickly ARM would be able to ramp up these processors as the original timeline for the Cortex-A9 had targeted late 2009/early 2010.

Apple appears to have invested heavily in bringing ARM design and development in-house with their acquisition of P.A. Semi and speculation that they are an architectural licensee of ARM's processors.

Article Link: First Multi-Core Mobile Platform Demonstrated

DeepIn2U

macrumors 603
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yes 4 cores!

DSP, Radio, and 2 application processors; or all application processors.

Symbian OS has supported this for the past year & a half. Now we'll see some real applications take flight.

Btw, ARM themselves do not have to produce the ARM-9/-11 cpu's but Texas Instruments, Freescale and many others in the business can as well.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
It amazes me that they can fit quad core into an iphone, but only dual core into the iMacs and Macbook Pro's (I know they are completely different chips, but still it's weird).

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
This a great for the iPhone. Hardware wise, it's what I feel it's becoming weak in. Seeing as the current chipset has been in the iPhone for nearly 2 years already, it's getting outdated... I'm curious to see some processor beenchmark comparisons if that is at all possible within the next few months. Although if apple decides to use the processor I'm sure they will have their 4X or 6X faster! Banners everywhere. We'll see, sounds good though.

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
It amazes me that they can fit quad core into an iphone, but only dual core into the iMacs and Macbook Pro's (I know they are completely different chips, but still it's weird).
It's not a question of "fitting." A Microprocessor is just that, micro. Therefore, 4 of them would still take up very little space (though this is, of course, a problem with mobile devices, where everything is crammed together as closely as possible).

I suspect the reason why you don't see any quad-core Macbooks is because of power consumption and maybe even software compatibility.

DaveTheGrey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2003
I really don't have any iphone performance complaints. Payable data roaming price structures or improved 3G speeds would be nicer :D
I can dream, can't I?

kamiboy

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
good grief, now the pointless arms race for packing more and more unneeded clock cycles into even mobile devices has begun. So same with laptops now we have to look forward to battery times not improving just so application developers can be spoiled and develop bloated inefficient software that do half as much with twice as much power.

tiguk

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
UK
This might just tempt me to upgrade from my 2G (EDGE) 16GB iPhone. Current 3G has no apeal to me.
Why?

Why would the promise of possibly faster processor times tempt you, when the additional features in iPhone 3G did not? It doesn't offer you anything extra, just (possibly) faster applications.

If it's speed improvement you were looking for, perhaps getting an iPhone 3G, with it's HSDPA connectivity, might have been beneficial?

h.21

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2008
I really don't have any iphone performance complaints. Payable data roaming price structures or improved 3G speeds would be nicer :D
I can dream, can't I?
How about pre-caching popular parts of the internet? Has potential, I'd say..

Data

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2006
If this would make the phone more responsive i welcome it, i have a 8gig 2g iPhone and it takes a realy log time to load most of the apps, even when there is no internet involved.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Apple will release a new ad campaign with the title being---The iPhone = The Supercomputer for Your Pocket.

I can't begin to imagine what you could do with a multicore iPhone.

Neodym

macrumors 68000
Jul 5, 2002
How about pre-caching popular parts of the internet? Has potential, I'd say..
You're not alone with that thought: HTC today announced their new mobile phones Touch Diamond 2 and HTC Touch Pro 2 in Barcelona (Mobile Communication Fair). Together with those they also announced "Push Internet", which does exactly that - Preload selected internet pages in intervals to have them available instantly on the phone.
I'm just waiting for the first complaints from users without a real flatrate in their data plan or roaming somewhere at "decent" prices... :D

wonderbread57

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
If this would make the phone more responsive i welcome it, i have a 8gig 2g iPhone and it takes a realy log time to load most of the apps, even when there is no internet involved.
I'm also looking for improved responsiveness. A smart phone with a lightening fast UI would be a dream come true. Is it possible by June though is the question. I don't know that I can hold off much longer than that on a new phone purchase.

fr33 loader

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
Softwares

My only concern would be system requirements for softwares. I hope it won't force me to buy a new phone every year or two so as just to run new softwares downloadable from iTunes. I still haven't come into terms that phones should disposable.

wonderbread57

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
I still haven't come into terms that phones should disposable.
Isn't the iPhone the first phone that has any resale value? As far as I could tell all phones before the iPhone were completely meant to be disposable. They were made to break down in one way or another and platform wise there was no continuity at all. Every phone had it's own garbage UI slapped together. More evidence that they are disposable is that carrier's offer them for free. Nothing free can have much resale value. If the new iPhone is multi-core (JOBs willing) then don't worry, app store will still be accessible to previous phones, it's just the new phone may have an additional section in the apps store or something.

theinstructor

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
Personally I will settle for copy and paste functions first...:mad: Then how about an iChat application and a front/rear facing camera to support video conferencing? Hehe...

fr33 loader

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
Isn't the iPhone the first phone that has any resale value? As far as I could tell all phones before the iPhone were completely meant to be disposable. They were made to break down in one way or another and platform wise there was no continuity at all. Every phone had it's own garbage UI slapped together. More evidence that they are disposable is that carrier's offer them for free. Nothing free can have much resale value. If the new iPhone is multi-core (JOBs willing) then don't worry, app store will still be accessible to previous phones, it's just the new phone may have an additional section in the apps store or something.
Sigh....if only iPhones were free every 2 years of contract. It is the logical step though to upgrade system specs. My last phone lasted me for 4 years (and actually still working) so hopefully you can see me where I'm coming from.

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Apple will release a new ad campaign with the title being---The iPhone = The Supercomputer for Your Pocket.

I can't begin to imagine what you could do with a multicore iPhone.
With a mini display port and a dock connector to USB adapter? A lot.