Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
He;s one of those guys that got lucky he was able to get through life with such a serious personality disorder. All sorts of crazy things happen in the world, this is just another example. Seriously, every time i see the bum who lives outside the office building i own, I think, that coulda been Jobs. Not to disrespect Jobs, he made me a LOT of money, just stating a fact.

:apple:

maybe....but there is something your bum doesn't have and that's drive/motivation to use what he has....

writingdevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
He;s one of those guys that got lucky he was able to get through life with such a serious personality disorder. All sorts of crazy things happen in the world, this is just another example. Seriously, every time i see the bum who lives outside the office building i own, I think, that coulda been Jobs. Not to disrespect Jobs, he made me a LOT of money, just stating a fact.

:apple:

I'm missing the "fact" you are stating. It seems your opinion is driving a broad generalization about the 'world', people's mental diagnosis and some theory about randomness. It's much easier, less stressful or demanding to sit on the sidelines passing judgement on the ones who are out in the world contributing. I'm inspired by and respect to the ones on the field, making a difference.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
They could certainly have picked a worse match for a young SJ. Beyond that, I don't know this guy personally, like the rest of you seem to, so I can't really relate to crystal balling about his role in the film without seeing it, but I'll bet the director isn't going to be content with a lackluster performance.

Either way, it's a just a movie.

Arcady

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2002
Lexington, KY
That picture is stupid. Why would he have an Apple Monitor II sitting on an Apple ][ Plus? The Monitor II didn't come out until 1984. Apple only had sample units in late 1983. By then, Steve Jobs would certainly have an Apple //e or an Apple ///.

Besides, the original photo shows an Apple ][ Plus with at least one Disk ][ drive sitting on top of it. (I can tell because I have owned all of this hardware since it was released.)

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
Steve Jobs was an extraordinary man who built the most successful company the world has even seen.

How do you measure success? Money? Then you're talking about Billy, not Stevie... or some other dudes from the field of Telecommunications, Oil Industry, etc. Apple is indeed a successfully company ( nowadays at least, because back in the early days it wasn't doing that well and almost died out at one point in time ), but "most successful company the world has even seen"? I smell fanboy... :rolleyes:

Pianoblack3

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
Scotland
Sheesh, have a little respect wikus. Steve Jobs was an extraordinary man who built the most successful company the world has even seen. You could argue that he not only did this once, but twice! It's an amazing feat, and to label him as "psychotic" is disgraceful on your part, all he did was execute a product strategy for HIS company's products! What have you done?

And you know, many of us around here would label someone who posts endless negative comments in a forum designed for Apple enthusiasts as "psychotic".

As much as I support your point, he did build the company from other peoples ideas, like Xerox Parc's ideas for the GUI and Mouse.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Should have got Noah Wyle back to play him. He's 41 now but I bet could still pull it off better than this guy.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
wikus, you're a bag of negativity against Apple. Why are you here?

What you're describing is merely an interpretation. You're _choosing_ to interpret Apple's narrow product line as a personal vendetta of Steve's against consumer choice, when in actual fact it was Steve's mandate to simplify Apple's product line. That was the first secret of their successful comeback in late 90's.

Have you ever been shopping for a non-Apple consumer device and found yourself baffled by the selection (and sacrifice) of choosing one product over another? People ask me all the time "what is a good laptop to buy?". Of course I'm going to send them to a MacBook - do you want a consumer model or a professional model? That's the first question to be asked, and it's so simple to answer when you look at the specs. But try applying that same decisive question to competitor computers.

Ashton looks like a great Steve. I'm not a fan of him, so I'm hoping he does justice in a respectful way.

Nope consumer electronic devices are just not that complex.

maybe....but there is something your bum doesn't have and that's drive/motivation to use what he has....

Or maybe that bum is not inspired by money or material things, remember Warren Buffett still lives in his same old house. We are all driven and motivated by different things.

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
How on earth are they going to transform him into the extremely thin, fragile looking almost bald man he was in his later years? Ought to be one HELL of a makeup job for that one!

crazytrain

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2009
Re the psychopath references, there is work out there (referenced in the book 'The Psychopath Test') that shows that CEOs do have a tendency to be borderline psychotic. Many described Jobs as 'obsessive' or similar words. To be as successful as Jobs was in developing Apple into the company it is today, I think its fair to say that the drive and ambition he exhibited could be bordering on the psychotic... Thats absolutely no disrespect, just looking at the evidence thats out there...

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
I for one am looking forward to this more than the Sony picture which is only based on his product launches rather than his life as this one is. This could end up either being a defining moment for Kutcher or a career breaker. Nobody thought Tom Hanks could act, then he made Philadelphia....

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Nobody thought Tom Hanks could act, then he made Philadelphia....

I for one still don't think Tom Hanks can act. Overly dramatic wooden board seems to describe any of his dramatic roles. The guy was good in goofy sentimental movies like Big, The Money Pit and Forrest Gump. His later carreer is just a bunch of overly dramatic movie where he just appears wooden in the middle of a crowd of people actually trying to save face.

Sorry, I can't stand Tom Hanks. Heck, there aren't a lot of Hollywood actors I would even classify as good.

Mr_Ed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2004
North and east of Mickeyland
Seriously?

Sorry, I just don't think this guy is any good as an actor. I'm no expert on this so to me the basic measure when looking at a performance is, do I see the actor, or do I see the character? Nothing to do with the physical look, by the way. Maybe he'll surprise us, but I just don't see Kutcher measuring up to even my simple criteria.

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
This title just makes me think of All the imbeciles who can't get the casing of Apple products correct. i.i. MAC, IPOD, iPOD, etc. For i-devices it's iThing, and a Mac is not an acronym.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
He does look a hell of a lot like Jobs, but he is a pretty poor actor. Two and a half men is just awful now =/

robogobo

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Sitting down facing front.
How do you measure success? Money? Then you're talking about Billy, not Stevie... or some other dudes from the field of Telecommunications, Oil Industry, etc. Apple is indeed a successfully company ( nowadays at least, because back in the early days it wasn't doing that well and almost died out at one point in time ), but "most successful company the world has even seen"? I smell fanboy... :rolleyes:

Here, let me help you out from under that rock:confused:

alfistas

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2012
Helios Prime
I still like Charlie Sheen better...

Oh, here's an idea! Maybe Steve Ballmer could be portrayed by Bruce Willis??? And maybe the whole documentary could be like a "re-imagining" where the whole story takes place inside a skyscraper...? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.