Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arian19

macrumors demi-god
Jul 9, 2008
Definitely Yosemite!

Look how similar the pictures are! (specifically the top left mountain)

fyY5PjO.jpg

Last edited:

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
El Cap? Can we please not do that? I’m down with El Capitan, even if it is a bit many syllables. But I would call it “OS 10-point-10” every day before calling it “El Cap."

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
I'm not a fan of those landmark names either. It's too California-centric, too USA-centric. And some of these names could be hard to pronounce correctly if you don't speak english. Hopefully they'll stay with single-word names.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Great, now I'm going to forever associate OS 10.10 with…

7iO4SIW.png

Last edited:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I'm not a fan of those landmark names either. It's too California-centric, too USA-centric. And some of these names could be hard to pronounce correctly if you don't speak english. Hopefully they'll stay with single-word names.

I know - El Capitan is going to be murder for people who don't speak english......

Its an American company HQ'd in Cali. So sue them for repping their home.

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007
Had a feeling it would be Yosemite. A good name for a UI overhaul release.

Me too, but they were running out...I would have preferred them moving on to celestial objects. "OS X Orion" has a nice ring to it.

The issue is wallpapers need to be made and spacey wallpapers are way overdone. It could be a reason Apple went with landmarks, as the look can keep changing.

astroturfme

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2013
I think i got it...

OSX - Mountain - Primarily front-end (UI) changes in this release
ios8 - Underwater - Primarily Back-end changes in this release

Hence the contrast in above/below for both banners. Your welcome.

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
Seriously how many more revisions are we going to get of OS X. Isn't it time to move up to verison 11?

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
OSX - Mountain - Primarily front-end (UI) changes in this release
ios8 - Underwater - Primarily Back-end changes in this release

Hence the contract above/below in both banners. Your welcome.

Nice. Very well done.

BL.

BigfootMN

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2014
PHP:
'the state park's El Capitan rock formation' -

It should be noted that Yosemite is a National Park, not a state park. But I do like the name better than Mavericks

Cyloncat

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
NC, USA

For non-English, non-California, non-USA-centric, but maintaining the hard-to-pronounce requirement, they could go to great coffees, with OS X Yrgacheffe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.