Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today began informing early Apple Card customers that their physical titanium cards are set to expire this summer, with replacements to be sent in the near future. Customers who signed up for the Apple Card in August 2019, when the Apple Card launched, will be receiving the notice.

apple-card-expiration.jpg

It appears that the physical Apple Card is designed to last for five years before a replacement is sent out. Most of the Apple Card's functionality is digital, with options for rotating security codes and credit card numbers for online purchases, but there is a number associated with the physical card that's used for in-person transactions. Credit card companies add expiration dates to physical cards for fraud prevention purposes, to introduce new technology, and more.

From Apple's email:
We're sending a replacement titanium card to your billing address so you can continue to use it at physical locations. Remember, even without a physical card you can always use your Apple Card at any location that accepts Apple Pay. Your new titanium card will be shipped within 2 weeks from the date of this communication.

You can continue to use your titanium card until it expires or you activate the new one. You can still use Apple Card with Apple Pay and your virtual card number to shop at merchants that don't yet accept Apple Pay by typing in your number from Wallet or using Safari AutoFill.
Replacement cards will include a prepaid shipping label so that customers can send in their old Apple Card to be recycled. Apple recommends that Apple Card users who receive a new card activate it when it arrives, as the current card is scheduled to stop working at its expiration date.

Customers who signed up for Apple Card at some point after it first launched will likely receive emails at the five year mark. Note that some customers have been receiving emails for the last month or so, but these may be customers who were able to sign up for the Apple Card early as part of a beta test.

Article Link: First Physical Apple Cards Expiring Soon, Apple Shipping Out Replacements

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York
Great that they accept the old card for recycling!

Many banks either dont have this service, or it's not obvious. Especially bad for plastic cards, due to the way they degrade over time.. into even more polluting microplastic.
Considering its made of Titanium and weighs 15 grams, it has value. Removing the front and back cover and the chip, I bet that still leaves 12-13 grams of titanium.

You could melt it and sell it 😂

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Considering its made of Titanium and weighs 15 grams, it has value. Removing the front and back cover and the chip, I bet that still leaves 12-13 grams of titanium.

You could melt it and sell it 😂
Imagine an iPad made out of recycled Apple Cards

Then you use an Apple Card to buy it

Then use iPad to make money

Recycle Apple Card (and iPad)

Then Buy a New iPad made out of recycled, recycled Apple Cards

Rinse, and repeat

Last edited:

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Interesting.

I requested mine about a year ago and it does not have an expiration date or anything aside from my name on it.
They never had the expiration date printed on it. I think it's part of the magnetic strip and chip.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
One benefit I really like is the Mastercard ID Theft Protection. I set that up and periodically get alerts if any of my info shows up on a compromised site, or if a credit activity has taken place in my name. For instance, I did something (can't remember what, maybe a new account somewhere) that triggered a credit check, and sure enough the Mastercard thing included that in their summary email that month. If it had been unauthorized, that would have given me a heads up.

Reactions: mhnd and Tofupunch
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.