First Public Beta of iOS 12.2 Coming Today [Out Now]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 28, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is today seeding the first beta of an upcoming iOS 12.2 update to its public beta testing group, a few days after releasing the beta to developers and a week after releasing the iOS 12.1.3 update.

Beta testers who have joined Apple's beta testing program will receive the iOS 12.2 beta update over-the-air after installing the proper certificate on an iOS device. The update will become available right around 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time or 1:00 p.m. Eastern Time.

[​IMG]

Those who want to download the new beta can do so after signing up for the beta program, which gives access to iOS, macOS, and tvOS betas.

iOS 12.2 expands Apple News to Canada for the first time, with Canadian iPhone and iPad users able to access news stories in English or French. The update introduces infrastructure for AirPlay 2 and HomeKit on third-party TVs, and it brings a redesigned TV remote in Control Center.

The update also includes some tweaks to the Wallet app, new addition to Safari, changes to the Downtime feature in Screen Time, icon tweaks, and more, with a full list of the new features available in our iOS 12.2 tidbits post.

iOS 12.2 confirms that Apple is planning to release second-generation AirPods with "Hey Siri" support, thanks to a hidden "Hey Siri" AirPods setup screen in the beta. The inclusion of the AirPods setup option in the beta indicates that Apple could perhaps be planning to release new AirPods when iOS 12.2 is released.

The update also features hints of an upcoming Apple News subscription service, which could see a Texture-like magazine service added to Apple News.

The iOS 12.2 update will likely see several rounds of beta testing before it launches to the public.

Article Link: First Public Beta of iOS 12.2 Coming Today [Out Now]

2. Princejb134 macrumors 6502

all i want is dark mode. Everything else is irrelevant

3. vitorcarv macrumors newbie

Expecting Apple to solve the problem of connections on the wifi networks 5Ghz

4. otternonsense macrumors 65816

otternonsense

And still no European Apple News rollout after four years. That's just grand.

To add to that, the display devices at Apple Stores in Berlin, Amsterdam etc. all feature an Apple News widget by default, even though the local market doesn't support it. That's pathetically misleading marketing and I wonder how come nobody has addressed that yet?

5. lunarworks macrumors 65816

I'm looking forward to finally seeing what the fuss is about with Apple News.

6. M5RahuL, Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2019

M5RahuL macrumors 68030

M5RahuL

Seriously!!! WTF is the holdup with Dark Mode on the iPhone and iPads!

7. 33man macrumors 6502

Downloading as soon it s out

Maybe this is the patch to convert my iPad mini 2 to a 5

8. Kagio macrumors regular

JUST FIX THE FREAKIN WiFi !!! This is like asking to get "touch screen fixed" .. so basic !!!

9. LarryBaker macrumors newbie

10. jakeuten macrumors newbie

jakeuten

What's the general consensus from dev beta users? As stable as 12.1.3?

11. PC_tech macrumors newbie

12. netdudeuk macrumors 6502

I'd not worry about it. I have recently been getting some awful articles from Bustle presented to me and even though I have asked for the channel to be blocked, they're still coming. And why is The Sun up there ?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 28, 2019 ---
    That could be good, especially with the OLED screens.

13. MikeSmoke macrumors regular

I have been using a mini 2 and a 2017 iPad on the public betas for a few years now. This is the first time I will wait on the mini 2 because the .2 versions are typically where bloat and slow downs start building up. 12.1.3 is very solid and I don’t want to go past the tipping point for performance.

14. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 68000

Please fix the horrible LTE issues with the new XS phones !!!!

15. netdudeuk macrumors 6502

I still keep reading about this.

SPEEDTEST on my new XS Max shows 58/14 with BT. Should it be noticeably better ?

16. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

auto dark mode is clearly the most requested feature, but we all know it'll be exclusive to iphone 11

17. garylapointe macrumors 65816

garylapointe

In-app purchase required.

18. tranceme macrumors member

Less stable for me. UI glitches and stuck photos apps on sharing images to Messages. Rebooted a few times.

Also, seeing occasional flipping between LTE and Wifi for me.

19. The Oak macrumors regular

The dark mode is more for the OLED camp. With true black not using power, it could generate longer battery life if applications and/or OS supported it.

20. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502a

If they make dark mode exclusive to the XS and XS Max I’m going to be so ****ing pissed.

21. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

If they pull that nonsense that will definitely be the end of the line for me with their products. They could already have this in place but continue to choose NO.

22. sdf macrumors regular

sdf

Like all the OLED Macs?

Dark mode is first and foremost about fashion, not power consumption.

23. archer75 macrumors 68020

LTE is fine and has been for several updates now. My Xs Max gets noticeably better reception than my old iphone 8+ my daughter currently uses. And yes, in fringe areas as well. Areas where the 8+ has no reception my Xs Max does.
    No issues here at all.

24. cableguy84 macrumors 65816

cableguy84

I never use Apple news

25. archer75 macrumors 68020

Give it a shot, it's rather nice. I've been able to delete most of my news apps and RSS reader as a result of using apple news. Especially with the channels section in it.