First things to do when you get your new Iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Leafs, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Leafs macrumors member

Hi all. I have never owned any apple device but thought I would bite the bullet and try the iphone. I'm going to go apple tomorrow and hopefully buy a white 32 gb 3Gs! Anyways seeing how I have never owned any apple product what's the first things I should do when I open the box? Like should I turn it on right away? Charge it first? apply my fullbodyfilms skin? Test it out? Jailbreak it? I'm sure it says somewhere in the manual but having your guyses opinion would be great! A list would be great. Thanks.

I'm sure i'll probably get some funny responses like stare at it for 30 minutes or kiss it or something...but whatever it's all fun. Some serious responses would be good though.

So this is what I'm getting from your responses:
    1. FULL charge first (without turning it on at all???)
    2. check it for any hardware issues (rattling)
    3. test it out for firmware issues (no idea how to do this to be honest)
    4. if 2-3 are fine install skin/put on case?
    5. ???? upload music/sync with itunes????
    6. ????
    7. Jailbreak??

2. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

someone sniffes theirs... apparently it smells nice :confused:

3. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Test it out, see if there are any major defects, both firmware and hardware issues. If so, turn right back around and get a replacement.

I'd also suggest getting a nice case and screen protector. It'll minimize any potential damage to your phone. You're paying a lot of money for that iPhone, so try your best to keep that baby in good shape.

Jailbreaking is completely up to each and every customer. It's a personal preference, so if you would like jailbreak, go right ahead.

And congrats on the iPhone.

4. Leafs thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! So do I charge it first or turn it on right away?

5. Shark131 macrumors member

Full charge first thing. You should always full charge a phone first.

6. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

already charged (not 100%) setup your e-mail and contacts and you're good to go! You can even do it while you're charging.

7. megadon macrumors 6502

im no expert,
    but I think you should give it a full charge before you play around with it..
    and don't play with it while it's charging..

but look for physical defects, like very loose buttons..
    and get the newest version of itunes..

8. Leafs thread starter macrumors member

lol oh man all 3 of you guys above me said 3 different things....

9. megadon macrumors 6502

haha..
    sorry..
    I said "i'm not expert"

10. iOrlando macrumors 68000

start collecting the money that will be needed to pay the monthly bill.

11. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Personally, I would turn it on in the store, just to check to see if there are any issues with the iPhone.

If there are some blatant issues, like problems with the screen, issues with the firmware, etc, return it and get a replacement.

If not, just shut it off, go home, full charge the iPhone and it should be fine.

12. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Ignore the full charge goons. Take it out, set it up/back it up, and when the charge runs down or you are near an outlet for a while, charge away.

13. Shark131 macrumors member

Goons? In almost every phone's instructions it says you should always full charge first thing. Google is your friend.

14. Leafs thread starter macrumors member

do you activate it when you sync it to itunes? Sorry like I said I have never owned any apple product before...

15. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

My woman and I have had 3, trust me it's OK.

16. iArrudaG macrumors regular

iArrudaG

The first thing I always do is examine it for any physical defects, then if all looks good throw a case on it. :D

17. thespazz macrumors 6502a

You can play with it while charging. You can play with it without charging. They usually pop out of the box with 80% or more charged.

It's a phone! It's not some life changing device.

18. Leafs thread starter macrumors member

I'm just worried because the one thing I hate about apple is the way you can't replace the battery yourself. See if I was supposed to do a full charge before I turned it on at all and I didn't then that could possibly screw up my battery, which therefore would send me back here starting a new thread titled "9 hours and 34 minutes later..." (haha jokes jokes), where I would complain and have crappy battery life and have to send it in. If I can prevent this from happening by doing a full charge first thing then I am all for it....

19. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

1. Plug it into iTunes and activate it.

2. Setup your e-Mail accounts in settings.

3. Turn on the "auto-lock" and "passcode lock" in "settings-general" so you must enter a password after a certain amount of inactivity (you can adjust the length of time). This will keep anyone from getting to your data if your iPhone is lost or stolen.

4. Setup what you want synced in iTunes (Music, videos, bookmarks, podcasts, etc).

5. Set the weather app for your home town.

6. Go into settings and set the brightness level of the screen as low as you can stand. The lower the screen brightness, the longer your battery will last.

7. Mate your Bluetooth device.

8. Plug it back into iTunes and sync it again so the iPhone is backed up.

That's it for starters. Play around with it as much as you like then give it a good charge overnight.

Have fun!

20. Leaira macrumors newbie

21. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

22. The General macrumors 601

Open Maps, hit the locate button and run around the AT&T parking lot proclaiming "OH MY GOD! THE MAPS ARE MOVING! THIS IS SO FREAKIN' SWEET!"

At least, that's what I did when I got my 3G.

23. TLewis macrumors 65816

Since you're going to the Apple store, the phone will probably be turned on and activated at the store.

Seriously, the general instructions, "charge phone to 100% before using", is likely there to protect against the idiots who'll buy a phone, use it without charging, find that the phone dies after an hour (or whatever), and then return it because the "battery sucks".

With the iPhone, just plug it in and use it (or not) while the battery charges. You don't have to leave it alone while it charges. You can play with it, and upload music/videos/apps to it. Or not. Neither is going to hurt the battery.

What you should do, is charge the battery to 100% and then use it until it dies (and you should do this once a month or so). While this isn't good for the battery, technically, the battery meter circuitry in the iPhone needs this for calibration purposes, in order to give you correct battery meter readings. (Just don't do this all the time.) For that matter, don't leave your phone in a hot place (like the inside of a car). Heat can be a significant contributor to decreased lithium-ion battery lifetime (i.e., how many months it'll be before you'll notice a significant drop in usable time).

24. Shark131 macrumors member

You have been without an iphone for how long? So just give it a full charge.