Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AKlrt

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2009
iTunes will back up the iPhone before syncing so if it happens again, then I can just Restore from that backup - great thought! I think the first time you sync there are some options about merging vs. other actions. It seems like merging is the correct option. I may have elected something else last time. I now backup my pst files in Outlook regularly so it won't be an issue for me now. I just don't want to foul up my friend's phone!! Thanks,

moka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

The first thing I did was kiss it and then gave it a hug.

It needs LOVE!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
is it best to only jailbreak after you are done everything? like syncing and uploading music and downloading apps you want? Or should you jailbreak first and then download apps and upload music?

Since you are new to the iPhone, unless you need to jailbreak in order to unlock, I'd recommend using it for about a week without jailbreaking to familarize yourself with it first. That way, if you run into problems after you jailbreak, you'd have a better idea if the problem stems from the jailbreak or it's a problem you would have had even with just the stock firmware.

If you do need to unlock, then it's probably better to jailbreak and unlock first before syncing any stuff onto the iPhone.

Leafs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Since you are new to the iPhone, unless you need to jailbreak in order to unlock, I'd recommend using it for about a week without jailbreaking to familarize yourself with it first. That way, if you run into problems after you jailbreak, you'd have a better idea if the problem stems from the jailbreak or it's a problem you would have had even with just the stock firmware.

If you do need to unlock, then it's probably better to jailbreak and unlock first before syncing any stuff onto the iPhone.

Hi thanks for the response. I am probably not going to unlock right away but was just wondering when you jailbreak do you lose all your stuff and have to resync your phone? I have just been reading these forums and people have been saying that it is better to jailbreak first? maybe I'm wrong or their wrong but can someone clarify this? Thanks

branjosef

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
Well the first thing I do is touch it. Hold it to be more precise. Then I probably will look at it. I hate holding things I cant look at. Eventually Im sure I'll do other things as well.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Hi thanks for the response. I am probably not going to unlock right away but was just wondering when you jailbreak do you lose all your stuff and have to resync your phone? I have just been reading these forums and people have been saying that it is better to jailbreak first? maybe I'm wrong or their wrong but can someone clarify this? Thanks

Since you are jailbreaking a new phone, it's better to jailbreak a "clean" phone, that way, there's less chance of problems creeping in. Also, *if* anything goes wrong and you have to restore, you wouldn't have wasted your time syncing things to the phone that would have to be synced all over again if you do a restore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.