Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
X -> XR upgrade path, was primarily because of battery life. No regrets.

I know X/XS are kinda on weak side battery wise, but I still thought Max was pretty decent? (though no XR)

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
X -> XR upgrade path, was primarily because of battery life. No regrets.

I know X/XS are kinda on weak side battery wise, but I still thought Max was pretty decent? (though no XR)
There used to be huge battery threads with people sharing screenshots, but that stopped a few generations ago. I remember the x didn’t impress me when it came out (seemed lower than what my 7+ on iOS 10 got at the time), and I recall reading the Xs was similar.
People were happier with the max’s Battery life overall, but I don’t have any hard data. Again, unfortunately, those huge battery life threads weren’t created, or I missed them, or they didn’t get too many replies.

Reactions: thadoggfather

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
There used to be huge battery threads with people sharing screenshots, but that stopped a few generations ago. I remember the x didn’t impress me when it came out (seemed lower than what my 7+ on iOS 10 got at the time), and I recall reading the Xs was similar.
People were happier with the max’s Battery life overall, but I don’t have any hard data. Again, unfortunately, those huge battery life threads weren’t created, or I missed them, or they didn’t get too many replies.

that was my reference point too. iOS 10 on 7+ which was peak battery, then X on 11 was a nosedive. XR is like the old days and then some.

I'll be pretty happy with Pro and Pro Max having that level if it is true, if for no other reason than because once they have all three phones of varying sizes with amazing and appreciable battery life, everyone will then be adjusted and there will be no turning back without (non paid) critics scolding them for it. The disparity in battery life has been a tough thing, cause it depends what device you're coming from.

Heck even SE on iOS 12 is not great battery, iOS 10 it still is decent 3 years later. I can only imagine iOS 13 on A9 devices is a showstopper battery life wise across the board (SE/6s/6s+) and getting there with 7 series since my 7+ kinda sucked on iOS 11.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
that was my reference point too. iOS 10 on 7+ which was peak battery, then X on 11 was a nosedive. XR is like the old days and then some.

I'll be pretty happy with Pro and Pro Max having that level if it is true, if for no other reason than because once they have all three phones of varying sizes with amazing and appreciable battery life, everyone will then be adjusted and there will be no turning back without (non paid) critics scolding them for it. The disparity in battery life has been a tough thing, cause it depends what device you're coming from.

Heck even SE on iOS 12 is not great battery, iOS 10 it still is decent 3 years later. I can only imagine iOS 13 on A9 devices is a showstopper battery life wise across the board (SE/6s/6s+) and getting there with 7 series since my 7+ kinda sucked on iOS 11.
Agreed on the Xʀ being amazing, and about what you said about the 7+: a friend’s 7 on iOS 10 had the same battery life as my 6s on iOS 9. That same device on iOS 11 was getting 60% when compared to the exact same 6s on iOS 9. iOS 12 made it drop even further, I think it was 45-50% of my 6s on iOS 9.
I tested an iPod Touch 5G on iOS 6.0 in 2012: 6 hours and a half of 20% brightness web browsing.
I tested the same iPod Touch on iOS 6.0 in 2015: 6 hours and a half of 20% brightness web browsing.
I tested the same iPod Touch on iOS 6.0 in 2019: 6 hours and a half of 20% brightness web browsing.

Three tests, nearly 7 years apart, same iOS version = same result.
I couldn’t believe it. That’s why my 6s on iOS 9 was getting the exact same battery life with 87% health and three years later.
As you say, I’m also assuming that iOS 13 will absolutely demolish the SE and the 6s’s battery life. The plus might escape due to sheer battery size, that’s why iPads maintain good battery life when updated, even if they drop a little, it doesn’t really affect people too much.

Reactions: thadoggfather

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Agreed on the Xʀ being amazing, and about what you said about the 7+: a friend’s 7 on iOS 10 had the same battery life as my 6s on iOS 9. That same device on iOS 11 was getting 60% when compared to the exact same 6s on iOS 9. iOS 12 made it drop even further, I think it was 45-50% of my 6s on iOS 9.
I tested an iPod Touch 5G on iOS 6.0 in 2012: 6 hours and a half of 20% brightness web browsing.
I tested the same iPod Touch on iOS 6.0 in 2015: 6 hours and a half of 20% brightness web browsing.
I tested the same iPod Touch on iOS 6.0 in 2019: 6 hours and a half of 20% brightness web browsing.

Three tests, nearly 7 years apart, same iOS version = same result.
I couldn’t believe it. That’s why my 6s on iOS 9 was getting the exact same battery life with 87% health and three years later.
As you say, I’m also assuming that iOS 13 will absolutely demolish the SE and the 6s’s battery life. The plus might escape due to sheer battery size, that’s why iPads maintain good battery life when updated, even if they drop a little, it doesn’t really affect people too much.

I've got a jailbreak (whole other thing, but its important to me too by the end of the day, personal preference thing), and stellar battery. Even if I were to upgrade devices, no way in good conscious am I tossing this device *until* I've safely migrated to another excellent battery life jailbroken device with a nice screen panel, and I will tread extremely carefully even if a iOS 13 jailbreak were to come out tempting me to upgrade the software on my XR from its shipping iOS version

(side story- it was never even signed as an ipsw when XR came out since 12.1 was the version then, but loaded on devices in the factory while in limbo between XS and XR release dates; 12.0.1.
12.1 I had on previous XR was still fine but felt a little bit less battery life and performant in my experience, and that unit had hardware issues so I got a replacement with 12.0.1 and never touched it since)

Reactions: FeliApple

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I've got a jailbreak (whole other thing, but its important to me too by the end of the day, personal preference thing), and stellar battery. Even if I were to upgrade devices, no way in good conscious am I tossing this device *until* I've safely migrated to another excellent battery life jailbroken device with a nice screen panel, and I will tread extremely carefully even if a iOS 13 jailbreak were to come out tempting me to upgrade the software on my XR from its shipping iOS version

(side story- it was never even signed as an ipsw when XR came out since 12.1 was the version then, but loaded on devices in the factory while in limbo between XS and XR release dates; 12.0.1.
12.1 I had on previous XR was still fine but felt a little bit less battery life and performant in my experience, and that unit had hardware issues so I got a replacement with 12.0.1 and never touched it since)
Sounds like a good plan. I got the Xʀ recently so it came with 12.3.1, and I'm never leaving this version. People have said the .0.x versions aren't great but my iPod on 6.0 is excellent.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I will wait the verge review on battery life before buying it

I hate to be an Apple spokesperson encouraging a trial buy that likely will turn into a solidified purchase, but if it sounds even remotely decent which it most certainly will be from mainstream outlets, I would just give it a whirl anyways and proceed skeptically, but happily knowing you got 14 days no question if you aren’t thrilled.

Field is the only
Way to know / reception in your area / your use case, etc

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
The Verge? Are they kind of biased against Apple? I probably would rather see ‘user reviews’ on battery life before I would base my decision solely on the Verge.

They’re not that thorough or credible in my opinion. Entertaining at best some decent personalities and good production. Go way off the rails from being a tech publication too, all too often, which I suspect is because they’re owned by vox media

Nilay Patel saying “there’s a matte camera bump which is really interesting to look at you
Kinda have to see it in person but it looks *really cool*” on the 11

I’m sure it’s tolerable and not a deal breaker, but come on guy you couldn’t even fake enthusiasm when you said that

They couldn’t go on unhinged Topolsky (who I find a hack for different reasons, but respect his apple rants just because someone has to challenge them sometimes) Apple rants even if they wanted to. They wouldn’t get access or have the cozy relationship anymore

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.