first time I couldnt take the cost

Discussion in 'iPad' started by wetcanvas, Apr 14, 2016.

1. wetcanvas, Apr 14, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016

wetcanvas macrumors regular

I have owned lots of apple products. Ive never had a problem with the apple tax. I have a full time job and make good money. However this is the first time ive bought an apple product and just didnt feel comfortable keeping it. I bought a 128 gb ipad pro 12.9 inch with applecare. total with applecare was 950.00. With accessories it pushed it over a thousand. I had the ipad pro for a few days and I loved it. It really was a great device. However the whole time I had it the cost kept ringing over and over in my head. This has never happened to me before with an apple product. I just dont get it. It was really bugging me though spending over a grand on a tablet. After awhile I broke down and returned it. I will miss the device. Maybe even someday if I can get it for much less then I will. Never thought id return an apple product solely on cost though.

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I have a feeling there will be an opportunity to get it on sale by Black Friday if not sooner. The iPad Pro models are great devices, but in an era of declining sales raising the price is probably not going to work out very well.

3. bensisko macrumors 65816

This is something I just don't understand. What makes you return the product based on the price you already paid?

For me, once I hand over the money, the only thing that would make me return it is if I decide I want more memory or I really do want the cellular option (or if something is wrong with it). Once the money is spent, I don't think about it any more.

I apologize up front if my tone is anything but curiosity - Just wondering why anyone would continue to think about price after they paid for it.

4. wetcanvas thread starter macrumors regular

I agree with you bensisko what you said is what I usually do. forget about the money once its spent. This is the first time its happened to me with an apple product. Maybe it has to do with the continues decline of android tablet prices Im not sure. Your guess is as good as mine.

5. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Same here could not justify $599 +100 Apple Pencil +100 AppleCare that's $860 ish with tax.

So I went with Sprint. A 32GB LTE Model 9.7" Pro $529 Spread out over the course of 2 Years it's basically Free financing that's $22 ish a month added to my Unlimited Data plan.

How could anyone pass up an iPad Pro 9.7 for $22 a month no money up front Needed great credit I can have 10 lines with Sprint. Now I have 2 one for the LTE 9.7 Pro and one for my Phone.

Totally monthly bill $88 with tax that's less than some people with just 1 old phone. In full disclosure I do have a SERO Plan those are hard to get.

6. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

Can't anyone make a decision anymore? Why not give it some thought in advance and spare Apple the restock cost. This behavior is infantile

7. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Meh, it's not the first time I've spent my over a grand for an iPad. Besides, the Smart Keyboard and Apple Pencil are optional accessories. Similar quality third party accessories cost around the same.

8. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

A grand for a product that'll be obsoleted in a year. That's what. It's a ridiculous price for a tablet no matter what excuse you come up with. It's not a question of spending the grand and forgetting. The morality of it is that a grand is too much for it no matter how much you earn. Apple is making fools of the punters who cough up their hard earned dosh for a tablet.

9. Marshall73 macrumors 6502a

Marshall73

Maybe it's not for you, if you are feeling like you paid too much then it's probably not justifying it's worth to you. Ignore the trolling naysayers making remarks about it being obsolete in a year, the iPads and phones have reached a performance point where they will be good for a minimum of 3 years especially the pro with More RAM it's just a way to make themselves feel better about not being able to afford a device otherwise why would they be here spouting hate etc. If they really didn't care about it they wouldn't be trolling the forums.

10. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Depends...if you use it everyday, and if helps with your work/life/family/whatever....then for some of us it is worth it. Also the product will not be obsolete in a year. It will still be the same tablet, and is why most keep their Apple tablets longer than a year.

If you are a punter, then yes it is a little much to spend. For those of us that use it...like myself, I have everything I need on it for work on my projects. I am onsite today, and can carry the 12.9" iPad around, and share the CAD drawings for the project, edit the spreadsheets, look up data on specific products. Check my emails, surf the net some while I wait, edit a word doc, easily show the client information they are looking for, take notes on the changes they would like. That is just this project, then there is all the rest throughout the year....Money well spent, for me.

11. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

One could also search around a little for a much better deal. Then not even have to worry about the price.

12. sparksd macrumors 6502a

If the cost was going to continue to bother you every time you like at the device then you were right to return it. Nothing wrong with that kind of buyer's remorse that you really aren't going to feel until you've actually shelled out the dollars. Ignore the critiques, it's your money, your choice. If you change your mind, you can go back and buy it, potentially at a lower price.

13. Mac2me macrumors 6502a

Don't know about the last part but I'm sure Apple can't resell it as new. Ends up costing everyone. I can see returning if something is defective. I'm writing this on my iPP (have Applecare+, 128GB, case, cover and pencil, went wifi only) and that's just not something I would ever do after buying. Not like you bought the wrong size shirt.

14. SaddleSC macrumors member

I bought the iPad Pro 9.7" two weeks ago on launch day to replace my iPad Air. After using it for a week or so I suddenly had the desire to try out the 12.9" model as well. Keep in mind, when the 12.9" model was released back in November, I concluded that it was a silly and superfluous device and didn't give it much thought until last weekend.

Suddenly...I had to have one...so, I went over to Best Buy and snatched up a 128GB model for $100 off. When I first unpacked it, I had feelings similar to those that you describe, but there is something so alluring about the bigger size.

After using the 12.9" for a few days and fully integrating it into my workflow (with an external keyboard) I find it to be such a great device that I have quickly forgotten the temporary pain of the initial cost and have decided to just enjoy the heck out of it...I have certainly spent much more $$ for things I get a lot less enjoyment out of...the 12.9" is truly something you have to experience yourself to fully understand...I have a feeling (based on your comments) that you may be buying it back in the near future:)

15. gorkt macrumors 6502

gorkt

When the 12.9 Pro came out, I REALLY wanted it. I was amazed by the pencil, liked the Smart Keyboard. I was all set to buy it but I just could never pull the trigger. Part of it was the size, part was the cost. I had to sit and really think about how I would use it. I held off for the 9.7 pro and I am really happy I did.

16. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

Feelings...whoaoh...feelings! Yes there is something wrong with wasting his time and apple's time and money

17. Leo90 macrumors 6502

That is part of the amazing Apple customer experience. I love the fact I can buy at any Apple Store and know that if the product is not fit for purpose, I am able to return no questions asked. Because of that, I keep buying Apple products (and not only) at an Apple Store. Customer experience costs money, but in the end it is more than worth for Apple and for us.

18. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Do you mean Apple does not make a profit from refurbished products?

19. sparksd macrumors 6502a

No there isn't. Apple changed their restocking fee policy for a reason. Better to have a few try and return than many not try because of the restocking fee.

20. kultschar macrumors 6502a

21. wetcanvas thread starter macrumors regular

I do not feel good about returning the product. Its not something I do regularly. It was the first time I returned a apple product and have been buying apple products for 10 years. Used for 650 looks much better to me. I will make sure next time its what I want.

22. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

You are clearly free to feel however you like about the price of any given object - but I do find it somewhat amusing that $1000 for a computing device as thin and light as the iPad - with 10+ hours of battery life - an amazing digitizer - a screen better than you could get at any price just a few years ago - is considered excessive.

I guess I just remember the days when portable computers meant something like this for $3000 or more - similar to $6000 or so today. We are spoiled today more than we realize. :)

[​IMG]

23. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I wouldn't think twice about it. They have a return policy for a reason and are making a hefty profit margin on every iPad sold. Serial returners are not the same thing as changing your mind on something.

24. melman101 macrumors 68030

I would want the keyboard, pencil, AppleCare and 128gb cellular. Without any sales that's $1575 or so with tax. I just can't do it. All I use my iPad for is to browse this site and similar ones. I barely do anyone work on it. As a DBA its just too hard without any native SQL tools or a filesystem. Also, no mouse really hurts it for me.

So alas, I'll stick with my 64gb cell iPad Air 2. But I'm sure both iPad Pro's are awesome!