First Time Jailbreaking; 3gs. Totally Lost!! :(

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by erin.42o, Oct 26, 2010.

1. erin.42o macrumors newbie

erin.42o

alright, so i've had a few iphones the past three years. i've been wanting to jailbreak since day one. i finally got the guts to just DO IT. so i did it. i used cydia. i don't know if i should try a different one, but i'm confused. these step by step guides aren't helping. i need someone who knows what they're talking about.

i don't want to get one theme that sets up the whole phone. i want to customize it.. 95% of everything that i install is NOT working. and i am five seconds from uninstalling all of this. i would definitely appreciate some help, lol. :] anyoneee??

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

First of all, you need to know the basics. Read this thread: Click Me

After you are done with terminology, you should have a better grasp.

3. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

If you want to "customise" everything, you need to invest a LOT of time into reading how to theme your phone. Macthemes is your best bet

Do not ask for "step by step" to this. Theming is quite an artistic thing, so there are no 'steps', you need to learn what the name of each picture is called by iOS. This means, you need to read.

Now, "things" not working, can you be more specific. What apps did you install from Cydia? You need to tell us what firmware you're on. Above all, you need to read.

If there is one thing that people who JB need to do, IT IS READ. Well actually, SEARCH AND READ.

4. erin.42o thread starter macrumors newbie

erin.42o

yeah, i know. i should've researched this stuff. however, i'm usually pretty good at just jumping into things like these. i asked around and the only answers i got were "you download, and it's all done in like 3 minutes. it's SO easy." -.-

in answer to your question; [sorry if i'm rambling?]
    okay, so i have cydia, i got it from limera1n? and i somehow have winterboard. i downloaded and uninstalled SO many apps from cydia, because after i install something that i want from cydia [for example, a PEACE sign WiFi]. i then go to winterboard, i see the description in the options box, and i click 'peace wifi.' it doesn't do anything when i restart my phone.

now, the things that have worked include:
    new text in slider, plus a flower that slides across it.
    purple [in app] battery icon. (would like an out of app one, too. and a diff color background across the top.)
    purple [lockscreen] battery icon.
    purple wifi bars, and signal bars.
    at&t sign is transparent. ( i would like it to say something else, or change colors).
    i got a few new SMS tones and a new ringtone.
    'page dots' at the bottom of my home screen are changed.
    new lock sounds.
    installed something [idk what it is], but my ipod, phone, safari, pop up notifications, and some other things, all changed with ONE app that i installed.

i can't figure out how to change the text, SMS theme, etc.

but i guess my best thing to do is to read? then i'm starting now. :]

5. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Unfortunately, many of the themes in winterboard were never updated for ios4. In most cases these just do not work and you can delete them. However, there are a few that might break your phone and force a restore so be careful and ensure you read all the blogs on themes before you install anything.