First time Mac User. 2015 or 2017 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by laricho, Sep 11, 2017.

1. laricho macrumors newbie

laricho

Hi All,

I've not yet owned a Macbook of any kind and am about to take the plunge.

Due to Apples Student Discount I could get a non-touchbar 2017 MBP for roughly the same price (if I sell the free Beats headphones) as a 2015 MBP (both with same SSD size, RAM etc).

I just really don't know which one to get. My first thought was that it would seem daft getting something that is already 2 years old, but the more I read about the 2017 version, the more I think perhaps the 2015 would be better.

I don't need loads of power, but I will be writing a lot of essays on it. Am I right in thinking that the keyboard on the 2015 is better for this sort of stuff? I'm hearing some negative things about the newer keyboards.

Could anyone offer any advice please?

2. c0ppo macrumors 65816

c0ppo

Go for the 2015 version. You won't regret it. Sure, 2 years old, but still a great computer. And you won't have any issues with keyboard.

3. Abaganov macrumors 6502

100% go for the 2017 one , there is no reason to spend so much money for old tech, also bare in mind resell value.

4. Nik macrumors 6502a

Get a used 2014/2015. This way you circumvent the early steep decline in resell value and then you can wait a year until Apple figures out a better keyboard.

5. SteveJUAE macrumors 68030

SteveJUAE

Sounds like your over spec'ing with a MBP

Save your money and get a rMBP or a premium W10 laptop

6. Closingracer macrumors 68040

Aside from some possible issues with the new MacBook pros keyboard the Macbook Pro's keyboard is ways better than the Macbook's IMHO. Enough I would get a pro over it. Isn't the Base 128gb non touch bar 13 pro the same price as a Macbook?

7. Sully macrumors regular

Sully

It's very "cool" on these forums to claim that a 2 year old laptop with a 4 year old processor is better than the new tech that Apple is offering. Don't buy into this. There's nothing wrong with the keyboard on these machines and there are millions of satisfied customers. Since you've never experienced the older keyboards, you won't even know the difference. The complaints you read on the forums are many times from a vocal minority.

8. Nik, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017

Nik macrumors 6502a

Yeah? I spoke to an Apple Genius a few days ago and he told me about the very high numbers of repairs they have to perform becuase of the new keyboard. I would buy into that. And that is for a device which is not even a year old. Imagine using the machine for more than one or three years (depends on Apple Care or not) and exchanging the keyboard for 900$+ after the warranty ends. That is the real issue here. That is when the real fun starts.

What exactly are the advantages to the OP if he buys a new machine over an older one, when keeping his usage profile in mind ? Please name a few, I am really looking forward to it.

In the meantime, here are some downsides:
    - Add +100$ for adapters to be able to use the MacBook with any external peripherals
    - Bad reliability of keyboard, which makes Apple Care mandatory
    - High price
    - No SD Card slot
    - No Magsafe
    - Loud (!) keyboard
    - Bad batterylife under load
    - Trackpad prone to unintended inputs because of size

Talking about a vocal minority: A company in my city just ordered 40.000$ worth of 2015 MacBook Pros because the 2016/2017 MBPs resulted in a considerably louder working environment and because of bad reliability of the machine. Furthermore, USB-C peripherals turned out to be flawed still. Adapters still drop packets over ethernet just to name ONE example. They tried multiple different ones, and not the cheap ones. Listen to the newest Episode of the Accidental Tech Podcast, they talk about that stuff there all the time.
    There are people who love their machines, I was one of those people - for a short period. Until my keyboard failed after only one week. And I had the 2017 edition, the latest one.

The 2015 MBP is more versatile and cheaper. The 2017 is more expensive, 10-20% faster and less reliable and less convenient.

9. itsasin macrumors member

itsasin

I agree that the keyboard definitely is a weak spot in those new devices, but isn't it that most people experiencing actual problems with their keyboard (arrive faulty or eventually get the high-pitched noise) in the 2016 model instead of the 2017? Correct me if I am wrong though. That is just how it appears from experiences I have read over here.

However, of course, when it comes to the keyboard some people simply do still prefer the old one over the new one, for others it's visa versa. I didn't know which one to buy either a while ago so I also went to the store to type on both and see what the actual typing experience was like.

10. Nik macrumors 6502a

The real thing is, that we see those issues after such a short period of time. That is concerning. We cannot judge if the 2017 is more reliable, it's only been out for 3 months.

11. jerryk macrumors 601

Yet Apple continues to sell the 2015 15" MBP. Perhaps they know more about their customer's wants and needs than people on this forum?

12. Nik, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017

Nik macrumors 6502a

Exactly.
    Companies and individuals (thx jerry) who care about versatility and bang for the buck (no adapters et al., not switching everything to unreliable USB-C) and reliability still buy those machines. It is that easy.

The latest is not always the greatest. That was also a new insight that I had only a short time ago. And yes, I am an enthusiast who buys really expensive stuff if it is the latest and greatest.

13. jerryk macrumors 601

I would change that to "companies and individuals".

14. itsasin macrumors member

itsasin

I honestly think, at this point at least, that the 2017 has at least some improvements and less faults regarding the keyboard.

However, I do get your point in a certain sense. I got myself a 2016 one, after my 2011 one finally broke down. Since my previous one worked so flawlessly for this many years, I had even higher expectations for my new one. Got the 2016 one after not being sure whether to go for the 2015 and the - at that time - 2016 model. It had keyboard issues and after a bit I started to notice the high-pitched noise. Turned it in to be repaired. Got it back, it had a popping noise. I go back again and it needs another repair to get rid of that but this repair does not fix the popping noise. What it did do, was give me a faulty trackpad (I get a second new top case replacement even though the other one was perfectly fine and a week old or so). So at this current day, I am tying this on still that particular MacBook Pro with a faulty trackpad. Not sure if the repair guy by accident made a big mistake or whether it really is the hardware's fault.

So to be really honest, I did personally get very sceptical. Of course I could have just been pretty unlucky, like I usually am and all of this could mean nothing for those machines down the line. It is just not comforting to have read that all the problems I experienced have also been experienced by some other people on this forum at such an early stage.

However, I do am willing to give the 2017 model a proper chance (contacted Apple directly, they immediately basically arranged for me to get 2017 unit to replace my 2016 one).

... Just wondering though, why would someone need something like a 2017 MacBook Pro to write essays?

15. Nik macrumors 6502a

Exactly right. Especially for his usage profile, the 2015 is a good fit. There should also be really nice discounts out there.

16. jerryk macrumors 601

Since you will be writing, you might try the two at an Apple store. Keyboard selection is such as personal thing that no one can really tell you what is best for you.

17. itsasin macrumors member

itsasin

Yeah, if writing essays is the most important thing OP should definitely do that. I did the same, because I was in a lot of doubt as well, however I really could not bear typing on the 2015 once when I compared it to the new keyboard (2016 version back then still, but similar). Which might be kind of strange, because some people tend to really despise the 2016/2017 version. But yeah, that is personal preference and seems to be one of the most important factors for OP, judging from the original post.

If OP prefers the 2015 keyboard really a lot, and is okay with the look of the device, then I would say why not? I mean, performance-wise that one will be perfectly fine for writing. And as a bonus you get all the ports, which might even be a good thing for "new" users? Idk.

18. jerryk macrumors 601

Yes. Some people really like the 2016/2017 keyboard and some people really hate it. It seems to be quite polarizing. I tried it for a day or so and could not get used it. Since I pay hundreds for keyboards with MX long travel switches it is difficult for me to use because the travel is even shorter than the 2015 MBP, which was short. But, everyone is different.

19. smallcoffee macrumors 68000

It would be foolish to buy the 2015. Get the 2017.

20. Nik macrumors 6502a

Why exactly? Please provide arguments.

21. smallcoffee macrumors 68000

Sure. It's a 2 year old computer and the only arguments against it aren't very good.

1) keyboard - bunch of people who "tried it" for one day and didn't like it. Millions are satisfied. Even if you don't like it you'll get used to it. Get over it.
    2) legacy ports - fair if you have a ton of equipment but not a very good argument. Get over it.

Neither of these two points is worth sacrificing two years of hardware upgrades and it's a shame that people are even trying to recommend the 2015 model and use those as arguing points especially if the prices are similar.

22. SteveJUAE macrumors 68030

SteveJUAE

KB preference is subjective but I think most would agree you do not need a MBP to write essays :rolleyes:

23. laricho thread starter macrumors newbie

laricho

Thanks for the opinions everyone. There's clearly no obvious answer as people have quite strong views either way.

Just to be clear, I won't ONLY be using it to write essays. But as I have a lot of them to write the keyboard is important to me.

I know I could get a much cheaper windows laptop but I really hate what Windows has become. I've wanted to switch to Mac for years and now have the money, so why not? I won't be buying a top spec model as I simply don't need it.

There's a lot to be said for something simply being a pleasure to use. Especially when you've got to pretty mundane things to do on it!

I know it seems ridiculous paying almost the same amount of money for technology that is 2 years older but from reading the forums I was getting the feeling that the 2016/2017 models have many more issues with reliability than the 2015 model. Do you think this is accurate as I don't plan on replacing it any time soon.

24. Nik macrumors 6502a

I do not see any arguments for the 2016/2017 still. What you describe are different opinions about my arguments against the 2016/2017, which is still no pro-argument.

25. smallcoffee macrumors 68000

Yeah, 2 years of technology advancement isn't a "pro-argument"