Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 17, 2011
Well, I was at best buy this afternoon and thought I'd check out the iPhone 8 even though I am not planning of an upgrade.

When I got to the iPhone table I had a hard time telling iPhone 8 from iPhone 7, had to rely on the table note to make sure I was holding the 8. And then....what? this is new? It feels just like 7, which feels just like 6s, which feels just like 6. I was ready to put it down after just one min of playing. But then I thought I should try out the 3D Touch to see if Apple has added additional 3D Touch menu. Well, guess what? There was lag! I didn't believe it so I tried the iPhone 8+ next to it and yes, there was lag!

I don't remember the last time I was as underwhelmed on a new iPhone as I was this afternoon.

Let's see if iPhone X can save the day.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
I am surprised you didn't mention anything about weight. That is probably the most noticeable factor.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 17, 2011
Nope. An overwhelming sense of "deja vu" hit me so hard that the weight difference is just not worth mentioning.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
The fact that the 8+ didn’t slide out of my hands like the 6+ and 6s+ did made the phone feel very different to me. Here in the dry arid California high desert, the metal back on the 6+ and 6s+ made it impossible to hold naked. The 8+ stuck firmly to my fingers being the back was glass.

I think going from the 6s+ to the 8+ made a bigger impression to me — the extra weight was HUGE. The extra camera was awesome.

Then, the wireless charging was a pleasant surprise - something I really enjoy using.

I don’t mind that the 8+ has the same form factor as the 6... the phone works for me and I’m very happy with it.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 17, 2011
Sorry for being harsh but it has to be said.

I'd be pretty disappointed upgrading from anything 6 and newer knowing the feel in the hand is largely the same. Hence why I never consider upgrading my 2011 MBA to a newer MBA. Yes, I know the newer stuff is faster but I don't want it to look and feel the same as my old device!

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010

I'd be pretty disappointed upgrading from anything 6 and newer knowing the feel in the hand is largely the same. Hence why I never consider upgrading my 2011 MBA to a newer MBA. Yes, I know the newer stuff is faster but I don't want it to look and feel the same as my old device!

4th year in a row of the same phone but heavier is pretty weak. Looking forward to the X because I’m ready for something new. The 6 plus feels the best, lightest and thinnest.

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 17, 2011
worth noting that Apple never manage to go back to 6 plus thinness and weight. Not 6s+, not 7+ and certainly not 8+.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing. There was bendgate with the 6/6+, so if having a slightly thicker/heavier phone eliminates this issue, I’m all for it. ;)

Maybe we can come up with something called weightgate where the weight seems abnormal for a phone of that size? ;)

Bethanie21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2015

I upgraded from a 6S to an 8, don’t care at all that the feel is the same - it’s tried and tested, I know I’m going to like it. I’d rather not be a guinea pig for the X - first iteration’s always got issues.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
I upgraded from a 6S to an 8, don’t care at all that the feel is the same - it’s tried and tested, I know I’m going to like it. I’d rather not be a guinea pig for the X - first iteration’s always got issues.

It's the 10th iteration! An iPhone with a full front OLED display with TrueDepth camera is still an iPhone.

Bethanie21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2015
Maybe we can come up with something called weightgate where the weight seems abnormal for a phone of that size? ;)

Meh, maybe. I don’t have an issue with the weight of my 8, it was barely noticeable when holding my old 6S in one hand and my 8 in the other.
[doublepost=1507005458][/doublepost]
It's the 10th iteration! An iPhone with a full front OLED display with TrueDepth camera is still an iPhone.

But it’s the first OLED, all screen form factor. ;):p it’ll have issues, and I’ll wait for those kinks to be ironed out.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
It's just an OLED screen. I owned the Samsung S7 Edge. Edge to edge screens can become a pain to use at times with inadvertent touching of the screen by the sides of your hand. Plus it a smaller screen compared to the Plus.
Luckily for us, the iPhone X has the most bezel compared to the Galaxy S8+ and LG V30 to reduce inadvertent touching :oops:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I think that's why so many are looking forward to the iPhone X, if they want to break away from the iPhone 6/6S/7/8. They want something different with the new display and technology to accompany the footprint of the iPhone X. It just offers something more refreshed in a sense.

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
Well, I was at best buy this afternoon and thought I'd check out the iPhone 8 even though I am not planning of an upgrade.

When I got to the iPhone table I had a hard time telling iPhone 8 from iPhone 7, had to rely on the table note to make sure I was holding the 8. And then....what? this is new? It feels just like 7, which feels just like 6s, which feels just like 6. I was ready to put it down after just one min of playing. But then I thought I should try out the 3D Touch to see if Apple has added additional 3D Touch menu. Well, guess what? There was lag! I didn't believe it so I tried the iPhone 8+ next to it and yes, there was lag!

I don't remember the last time I was as underwhelmed on a new iPhone as I was this afternoon.

Let's see if iPhone X can save the day.

That's too bad, that for it to be a new phone to you, it needs to look and feel different.
there are other brands who do just that for you :)

or you can buy the fake mock-up of the X, that's all you seem to need :)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I am happy about the extra weight. Prefer something feeling substantial. If only they would make them a little thicker with a better battery.

I think the trade off for most would be having battery life, even if that means the device will be somewhat thicker and they were able to achieve better battery life, I personally would be fine with that. Especially for how powerful phones are today and amount of power they draw, battery life is crucial.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
It's just an OLED screen. I owned the Samsung S7 Edge. Edge to edge screens can become a pain to use at times with inadvertent touching of the screen by the sides of your hand. Plus it a smaller screen compared to the Plus.

I read one or two reviews that stated that after a few days with the OLED screen (Samsung) it didn’t really impressed them anymore. May happen with the new OLED apple screen as well. Oh well, the newness factor will be interesting to read, then I’ll be more interested in hearing from those that have this down the road if there still happy with their purchase.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I thought i was going to be in the same boat when it came to upgrading from my 6s+. So much so that I had pre ordered the note 8, then I end up giving the iPhone 8+ a shot and I’m glad I did.

The layout and design maybe familiar but it’s still a way nicer and more fluid experience overall. Flipping between multiple apps is very snappy and instant, the camera is WAY better in every way, the screen is much more crisp and nicer colors, the gaming experience is that much better and the overall feel of it in your hands is better

Reactions: Bethanie21
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.