First time user - 3Gs or 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Broph, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Broph macrumors 6502

Broph

Never had an iPhone, only an iPod.

I have been following all the latest iPhone 4 news since it was announced.

A main selling point for me (iPhone 4) is that my friend is going to Canada and we're saying Facetime would be good, however, he picked up a cheap 3Gs and they're saying they won't buy an iPhone 4 now because they're satisfied by the 3Gs.

Price isn't really an issue, but I'm thinking it may be better to buy a 3Gs (second hand, because they only sell 8GB 3Gs's in NZ), keep that for a year or so, then purchase an iPhone 5, once all the kinks are worked out, then I'll review again and see if it's worth it.

I'm also concerned about dropping it/smashing it due to drunken nights and it slipping out or something; the iPhone 3Gs seems a bit more sturdy than the 4 to me.

For those that went from 3Gs to 4, do you find yourself using all the new features?

Thanks.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

iPhone 4

The camera takes gorgeous photos and the 720p HD video recording is super clear. Plus the retina display is super clean.

I don't miss my 3GS.

(yes, I said super twice)

3. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Go for the 4. I almost completely forgot about my 3GS within a minute of opening the box. You will regret itnif you buy the 3GS. Also, the 4 doesn't have many problems. Yes, the death grip, but that doesn't really matter as with me I don't drop calls.

4. Vincentmoy macrumors newbie

I am a 1st time user as well and I went with the 4. I was having a couple problems with the yahoo mail pushing as well as the facebook app. However, after I restore (after initial set up) it as a new phone, it seems to perform better. I used to be only getting 1 to 3 bars in my room (now I don't have drop calls problem, ftw), after the restore, it seems to be able to hold 3 to 4 bars (I do have the Belkin Grip Vue on).

The problem with the push mail seems to went away (I'm still holding my breath). Facebook app seems to work better as well (I used to not able to shake to reload, now I can.)

I don't know if it's my mind playing tricks but it seems to work better, others may have different saying.

5. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I agree, the iP4 is much better than my 3GS.

6. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

if price isn't an issue or if you don't think you may want the next version in one year or so, then go iPhone 4. personally, I see very little difference is day to day functionality or use between my 3Gs with iOS4 and a coworkers iPhone 4.

The screen is nicer, but given it's a smart phone, it's not a deal maker for me. It's a little smaller...which I actually don't necessarily like, but that's about it.

7. Steveo47 macrumors regular

if money is no problem, get the four. Im a first time user coming from a blackberry storm 9530. I wont be going back.

8. wwjbd24 macrumors member

The screen alone is worth the 4. I was using a friends iPod touch, forget it. Everything looks grainy and just ewww

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If you're going to take any videos at all, definitely get the iP4. I was looking at videos taken with the 3GS last night and they now look bad.

10. mstrze macrumors 68000

Plus...there's no telling just how much of a bump 'iPhone 5' will be. It could be much like the bump for 3G to 3Gs was (added a compass and video recording, few other tweaks...not a whole lot else).

11. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

The second hand 3Gs doesn't sound like too bad of an idea if your unsure, but for contract, get a 4!

The screen, camera, HD recording, the screen snappy processor, FaceTime, the screen, did I mention the screen?

Once you use it, it's hard to imagine going back. I'll put it this way: My friend wants an Android, period. I told him to wait 3-6 months for their screen ppi to catch up, PERIOD.

Lastly, if your going to get contracted into an iPhone, you'll want the max horsepower (joules?) for the duration of that contract. Think how much regret last year's $99 iPhone 3G owners must feel right now.

12. err404 macrumors 68020

The 3GS is still a very nice phone. I would not have upgraded from a 3GS to an iPhone 4 (I upgraded from a 3G). That said, the 4 is better in nearly every way and buying last gen phone hardware is hard to recommend.
    If the negative media coverage has really gotten to you, you could wait for an iPhone 5 and get a 3GS for the time being. Only do this if you can get it cheap and out of contract.

13. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

how is this even a question? are you being serious? get a 2g if you cannot determine whether you should get a 3GS or a ip4 :p

14. err404 macrumors 68020

Don't blame OP. Real or not, the coverage of the iPhone 4 antenna issue has been deafening. This has an effect on consumer confidence.
    A cheap, contract free 3GS is an attractive alternative if your looking to buy some time.

15. Schweitzer macrumors regular

I wouldn't buy the iPhone 4 for three reasons:

1.) Antenna
    2.) Proximity sensor
    3.) Camera problems under artificial light / white background.

While all iPhone 4s suffer under 1.) a lot of suffer under 2.) and 3.) too, and it's not clear if these are hardware problems.

I would definitely not buy one now.

16. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I really hafta know...

Do you work for Verizon, or one of the Droid manufacturers? C'mon, fess up!

:rolleyes:

iPhone 4, OP. Just put it in a tough case if you plan any drunken escapades.

:D

17. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

This time last week I would have said to go with the 3GS. However, after I received my iPhone 4 on Friday, my 3GS is a distant memory. Everything about this phone is great. The Retina Display is absolutely gorgeous! Go with the 4!

18. Schweitzer macrumors regular

LOL, no.

In fact, if I had to buy a smartphone now maybe I would buy the iPhone 4.

But I don't have to, so at the moment I think I'll rather wait than pay $800 - $1000 for a phone with the aforementioned problems.

19. Chunkycat macrumors 6502

Only 4!

Definitely the 4!
    I had a 3gs for a little over a month before I got my 4. The antenna problem was a bit scary because I only rely on my phone for calls, no land line, besides, I work from home and my cell is my contact number for work too. But when I got it and started using it, I realized that it was all blown out of proportion. I haven't dropped a single call. The screen is amazing, the sound quality during calls is much better for me than on the 3gs. I talk to my mother in Russia every day and it's like she is right next to me! So amazing!
    I absolutely don't miss the 3gs.

20. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

:D

I just have never had major issues with any of them. And I've had all 4 incarnations of the iPhone.

I dunno... maybe they're not as horrific as you think? ;)

21. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

On 2nd thought, what I should've said is that I've not had any issues with them that I've not had at one time or another with pretty much every cell phone or PDA I've owned.

And I'm a total gadget whore. I've owned tons of them. ;)

22. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

if you wanna wait for iPhone 5 make sure to not play around with the iPhone 4. Once you see the screen you will not be able to use a 3GS.

23. ftorrez macrumors newbie

Go with the iPhone 4. I had a 3GS and now have a iPhone 4 and it is great.

24. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Oh, if that happens, it'd still be a significant update. The 3GS added the following over the 3G:

Improved battery life
    Faster processor/more memory
    Better camera, with autofocus and tap to focus
    Video
    Compass
    Oleophobic coating
    Voice Control
    HSDPA implementation (allows faster download speeds)

This makes it only 3 fewer features compared to what the iPhone 4 added over the 3GS.

25. tnisatard macrumors 6502

QFT