Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Papillo

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2009
Never had an iPhone, only an iPod.

I have been following all the latest iPhone 4 news since it was announced.

A main selling point for me (iPhone 4) is that my friend is going to Canada and we're saying Facetime would be good, however, he picked up a cheap 3Gs and they're saying they won't buy an iPhone 4 now because they're satisfied by the 3Gs.

Price isn't really an issue, but I'm thinking it may be better to buy a 3Gs (second hand, because they only sell 8GB 3Gs's in NZ), keep that for a year or so, then purchase an iPhone 5, once all the kinks are worked out, then I'll review again and see if it's worth it.

I'm also concerned about dropping it/smashing it due to drunken nights and it slipping out or something; the iPhone 3Gs seems a bit more sturdy than the 4 to me.

For those that went from 3Gs to 4, do you find yourself using all the new features?

Thanks.

Actually i believe the glass on the 4 is sturdier than the 3. Anyway, if you have never owned an iphone before, you probably wont notice the difference btw the 3 and the 4. I am new to the iphone and got the 4. While i prefer how the old one feels in my hand, the screen and speed of the4 makes it a no brainier for me.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Anyway, if you have never owned an iphone before, you probably wont notice the difference btw the 3 and the 4. I am new to the iphone and got the 4. While i prefer how the old one feels in my hand, the screen and speed of the4 makes it a no brainier for me.

You've just contradicted yourself.

insidmal

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Eugene
I wouldn't buy the iPhone 4 for three reasons:

1.) Antenna
2.) Proximity sensor
3.) Camera problems under artificial light / white background.

While all iPhone 4s suffer under 1.) a lot of suffer under 2.) and 3.) too, and it's not clear if these are hardware problems.

I would definitely not buy one now.

Really? I haven't experienced any of those things..

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
Oh, if that happens, it'd still be a significant update. The 3GS added the following over the 3G:

Improved battery life
Faster processor/more memory
Better camera, with autofocus and tap to focus
Video
Compass
Oleophobic coating
Voice Control
HSDPA implementation (allows faster download speeds)

This makes it only 3 fewer features compared to what the iPhone 4 added over the 3GS.

Yet, there weren't enough features to make everyone want to upgrade early. I sure didn't have a burning desire to go from 3G to 3Gs...wasn't enough to make me want to pay the extra money. Now going from 3Gs to 4 is a no-brainer.

And surely, going from 3Gs to 5 would be a no-brainer too, but just don't expect an amazing upgrade from the current 4...just a 'marginal' bump like the 3G to 3Gs bump was.

youngplaya0228

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Texas
Oh, if that happens, it'd still be a significant update. The 3GS added the following over the 3G:

Improved battery life
Faster processor/more memory
Better camera, with autofocus and tap to focus
Video
Compass
Oleophobic coating
Voice Control
HSDPA implementation (allows faster download speeds)

This makes it only 3 fewer features compared to what the iPhone 4 added over the 3GS.

Half of those were either available via jailbreaking or next to useless to most people. At least the upgrade from the 3Gs to 4 added some stuff that was pretty significant.

Ryanhdd

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007
Virginia Beach, Virginia
You guys saying the 3gs is better. Ha! thats all i have to say. I have had the 3g, 3gs and the iphone 4 about 3 weeks after launch. My 4 blows them all away. The cam, dispay, speed, i do not even think about my 3gs.

Papillo

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2009
You've just contradicted yourself.

What i meant to say was for someone who has not owned either phone (3 or 4), the Iphone is a huge leap from whatever he had. So he wouldn't have the basis for comparison. for me, while i had not owned an iphone before, i have friends and relatives who owned them and so i could tell the difference between them and i like the way the 3g feels in my hands better than the square Ip4 but i prefer the retina display and the new processor of the 4.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Lol yeah, most people who complain about the antenna are just saying it to make themselves feel better... They know inside their heart the 4 is miles better. :p

I agree with you.

I live in a low signal area and no matter how much I grip my phone, I can not make the iPhone 4 drop the call (bars do go down, but calls will not drop). Also, I've had fewer dropped calls now with my iPhone 4 than with my 3GS wile standing in the same area.

Now my phone does have the proximity sensor issue, but I'm confident apple will fix this in an update. So it's not a deal breaker right now.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Yet, there weren't enough features to make everyone want to upgrade early. I sure didn't have a burning desire to go from 3G to 3Gs...wasn't enough to make me want to pay the extra money. Now going from 3Gs to 4 is a no-brainer.

You mean going from 3G to 4 is a no-brainer, because you never had the 3GS.

And surely, going from 3Gs to 5 would be a no-brainer too, but just don't expect an amazing upgrade from the current 4...just a 'marginal' bump like the 3G to 3Gs bump was.

3G to 3GS is hardly a marginal bump as it added 8 new features, just 3 features shy of 11 new features that the iP4 added over the 3GS. If anything, original iPhone to 3G was a marginal bump with only 3 new features (A-GPS, 3G, and all new design).

Half of those were either available via jailbreaking or next to useless to most people. At least the upgrade from the 3Gs to 4 added some stuff that was pretty significant.

While video and voice control might be possible with jailbreaking, you can't jailbreak a 3G to get improved battery life, faster processor/more memory, better camera, compass, oleophobic coating, and faster download from HSDPA implementation.

What someone considers pretty significant is extremely subjective. FaceTime is next to useless to some (at this point I'd say most) people and someone with piss poor eyesight isn't going to take advantage of the retina display. Who benefitted greatly from having a gyroscope? All other improvements were incremental updates (better battery, faster processor/more memory, better rear camera, better noise cancellation from the extra microphone, faster upload from HSUPA implementation, better wireless support from 802.11n).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.