First week Review of the Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bulliondesk, May 22, 2015.

1. bulliondesk macrumors member

So.. it has been a very tumultuous first week with the :apple:Watch. Long story short it has been sadly unreliable. The reason I bought the watch was strictly for notifications (text messages and emails mostly). My notifications work maybe 50% of the time. I have done everything under the sun to try and make everything work perfectly but it just doesn't seem to do so properly. I will receive some texts but not all. Some days I will receive no emails.. it is very hit and miss. I've been on the phone with Apple twice this week for 2 hours. They walked me through steps to help fix the problems but to no avail. At this point I have given up. I'm going to keep the watch just as a watch.. I just can't bother to deal with all the issues anymore.. I am exhausted and have spent way too much time trying to get this thing to work 100% properly. When it works it works great but to me 50% of the time isn't good enough. Oh well. Maybe the :apple:Watch2 will work better..

2. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

I assume you have tried hard resetting both the iPhone and the watch by holding both buttons? Have you tried resetting the watch to factory settings?

Have you tried to reset the iPhone completely and set it up again with your backup or as a new phone?

It's a bit of a hassle but if you have iCloud backup activated the only content you'll need to sync manually would be your music really.

3. lentus macrumors member

4. rsxmachine macrumors 6502

You are going to spend this much money to use it as a watch only. Are you crazy. return it!

5. bulliondesk thread starter macrumors member

Yes I done everything you mentioned above twice. Still to no avail. I just did a test email to myself from my Macbook. It shows up on all my devices (Macbook, iPad, iPhone and Watch) however I have to go into my email on my Watch to see it. I was not notified that I received an email. But.. just now I received two notifications from responses to this thread on the Watch. It's so hit and miss!

6. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Hm, weird. There must be something somewhere, maybe in your settings that explains this.

For me, the notifications have worked a 100% up to now. I've been wearing the watch for 9 days now.

I hope someone else can contribute to this so you can sort it out.

7. bulliondesk thread starter macrumors member

I have NOT received a notification of your response to my thread although I have received the email that you responded to my thread on all my devices. HOWEVER.. the last two responses above you I did receive a notification. It's so strange.. I have toggled Mirror iPhone and Custom tons of times.. but nothing.

8. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

It might help others to help you if you provided some specifics. Which phone? Which apps are you expecting notifications from? What is the expected behavior vs the actual? Are you having the problems everywhere, or just places where you don't have WiFi?

9. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I'm sure you already know but something to keep in mind while testing. You will not receive a notification on your watch if your iPhone is unlocked. If you are looking at or using your phone it will not bother your wrist since you're already looking at the source of the notice.

10. andrewstirling macrumors regular

Apologies if you know this, but if one of your other apple devices is active , then my understanding is that you will not get a notification on the watch. It's only when your other devices are sleeping or screen is off that it should come through.

11. bulliondesk thread starter macrumors member

Ok I am currently sitting in my office with my iPhone 6, Macbook Air, iPad Air plus my :apple:Watch. My Macbook Air, iPhone 6 and iPad Air are all connected to my WiFi sitting on my desk in my office. My :apple:Watch is connected via Bluetooth to my iPhone. I am currently typing this from my Macbook Air while my iPad and iPhone are on but "sleeping". My :apple:Watch is on my wrist.

12. andrewstirling macrumors regular

So.....my guess is that you should get notifications on your macbook air only?

13. bulliondesk thread starter macrumors member

All my devices are sleeping. Except, my MacBook Air which I am currently typing this on. I do have on iChat on my Macbook Air but I am receiving all of the messages in iChat (Texts) on my Watch no problem. My Mail is open on my Macbook as well. But am barely receiving any mail notifications.. only once every now and then.

----------

andrewstirling you have replied twice in this thread.. I just received an email notification of your LAST response a minute ago that you sent at 9:30am.. but your previous response on this thread I did not receive an email notification.. It's so hit and miss!

14. lchlch macrumors 6502a

----------
    Put your Mac to sleep. Then check if notifications are coming through your watch.

15. bulliondesk thread starter macrumors member

There goes 6 text messages I did not receive a notification for just now. I am in a group text and received the first two messages.. now 6 responses in the text and I have not received a notification.

16. wdfly macrumors regular

if you have your phone unlocked and are using it and get a notification it will not go to your watch.

17. bulliondesk thread starter macrumors member

Please read this thread... My phone is sleeping.

----------

With my Macbook open I have received all text message notifications even while using iChat simultaneously on my Macbook. EXCEPT for the last 6 texts in a group message I noticed.. I have received notifications of maybe 3 emails out of 20 this morning on my :apple:Watch

Makes no sense to me.. How do I receive the first 2 notifications of messages in a group text.. then people in the group reply 6 times and l I don't receive any notifications from the group text anymore..

18. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Yeah I was wondering if having so many devices was keeping the notifications from coming through. I've got a similar setup at work with my iMac, iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6 Plus all going off whenever a message comes in. I'm actually worried that when I get the watch, it's going to really bug me during the day when I'm at my desk. Does anyone know if you can set do not disturb settings for the Apple Watch separately? In general Apple needs more fine-grained do not disturb settings anyway. That's one of the items on my short list of iOS 9 feature requests. It would also be great if I wouldn't get notifications on my other devices at all until they leave bluetooth range of my iMac or I put it to sleep.

19. andrewstirling macrumors regular

Yeah it seems erratic. It would still be good to know what happens when your mac is off though. If only to help with the troubleshooting. If you want, I'll reply a few times so you know you'll get emails through.

20. bulliondesk thread starter macrumors member

Ok great. Please start replying now. I will sleep ALL my devices except my Watch. Ready go!

21. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Reply for bullion, fingers crossed :D

22. lchlch macrumors 6502a

Test

23. andrewstirling macrumors regular

24. atxx macrumors newbie

Did you already do the 1.0.1 update? I've read somewhere that it fixued bugs considering notifications. For me, everything works 100% fine (before and after update)

25. bulliondesk thread starter macrumors member

I only received a notification for Rok73's reply to this thread. Nothing from lchlch and andrew! Ugh.. My texts were coming in fine with no issues that I could tell..

----------

Yes I updated.