Fishkill Plant Affected by Blackout

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by lumiere -- Power outage brings down IBM's G5 production line
As reported by eWeek.

Power outages struck IBM's computer chip fabrication plant in East Fishkill, N.Y., affecting production as key products for Nvidia and Apple ramp up.
Looks like the delays aren't that serious, although it is August, and supposedly the G5s are due by the end of the month. (BTW, I usually lurk the CPU forum, but I suppose this is probably MacAch material.)

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,1221912,00.asp
Ouch :eek:

Wonder how this will ripple through the supply chain?

Hopefully the day or two delay won't get magnified as is goes down the chain.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Fishkill Plant Affected by Blackout

eWeek reports that blackouts which affected cities in the U.S. and Canada yesterday, brought production at IBM's Fishkill plant to a slow.

The plant shifted into maintenance mode after being hit by the power-outage, bringing production tools to a safe halt. Production should restart later on Saturday. The Fishkill plant is the location of the production of the new PowerPC 970 (G5) to be used in the PowerMac G5s.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
Seems like the fishkill plant is just having problem after problem. First, it was rumored that the plant was having production problems, and not it will be shut down for a couple of days. No fun for IBM.

coconn06

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2003
King of Prussia, PA
Delays?

Would anyone expect this to cause PowerMac G5 delays, or would that production have already been run (*i sclueless on timeline for chip production*)?

-Colin

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
You'd think a multi billion dollar plant like that would have some generators installed for emergencies like this!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 19, 2002
If you look at the new MacWorld magazine, the PowerMac's U3 System Controller is also being fabbed by IBM.

There was some talk that the controller may be on the same process as the PPC970, so it may also be sitting idled at the Fishkill plant.

So will the few days delay end up impacting the production/shipping schedule or not.

It'll at least be a good excuse for any schedule slip.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
Its my understanding that G5 chips are fabbed at MORE than 1 IBM plant.
That said, according to news articles the number of chips they can produce in a day would mean to double th eG4 tower sales Apple had last quarter they would only need to fab for 12 days.

From I.T. people in Armonk NY the fishkill plant has never been more than 1/4 operational so this is not such an immediate threat.

I suspect the Fishkill plant will be used for faster, more effieicent chip with higher yields once its operational. So the 3 gig G5 Steve Promised next June would come out of Fishkill. But 970 and Power4, etc are still being made at other facilities (Do a search on CNET for the articles)

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by MattG
You'd think a multi billion dollar plant like that would have some generators installed for emergencies like this!
Yes, it definitely should. I worked as a process engineer at an IC fabrication plant way back in the mid-80's and we had our own emergency generators for just this reason. Of course, they only supply enough power for you to perform a controlled shutdown of key portions of your manufacturing line. You can't continue to run at full production.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles

It does. And just like fpnc mentioned it gives enough power for the plant to safely shut down.

Lethal

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
it does. Read the article.

arn

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
Yes, I was waiting for this announcement. Whether this will have any true impact on the G5 introduction is, I think, uncertain (I believe that it should not).

However, I'm afraid that Apple may see this as a mixed blessing. Since it probably won't have any significant affect on the timeline but now they can use it as an excuse if they miss the end of August shipping deadline for the G5 pre-orders.

One can imagine a press release from Apple, "As a result of the widespread power failure in the northeast, shipments of the IBM-produced G5 processor have been delayed. Therefore, Apple must regretfully delay initial shipments of its new Power Mac G5 until mid-September 2003." ;-)

Shouldn't happen, I hope.

tsugaru

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2003
Edmonton
Dumb Writers

Quote from the article:

"...and the Canadian province of Ottawa without power, an area where an estimated 50 million people live..."

You'd think that a journalist for eWeek would know that Ottawa is the capital city of Canada. However, as above mentioned, it is merely a city in Ontario, which was the province that was affected by the outage.

In response to the Fishkill plants, I hope they ramp up production. I'm waiting for my G5.

mrothenberg

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
New York
O, Canada!

>>You'd think that a journalist for eWeek would know that Ottawa is the capital city of Canada. However, as above mentioned, it is merely a city in Ontario, which was the province that was affected by the outage.

tsugaru: Thanks for the sharp eye ... We were running a little short-handed today because of the blackout, and that error slipped through.

It's fixed now; I hope our northern neighbors will forgive us!

Matthew Rothenberg
Managing editor
Ziff Davis Internet

Shrike_Priest

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2002
Wasn't the PPC970's supposed to be made in Ireland as well?

And I would think they have already fabbed a hell of a lot of proccessors, so it wouldn't delay the first batch of G5s. It might make a dent on the supply after the initial ones though.

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2003
PRK
Uh-oh.

I know that losing power is not a good thing, especially if you are using it to make computer chips.

Hopefully, IBM will figure out which wafer lots to throw out as garbage (or make into keychain fobs) and which ones to make into processors and controller chips. I know that sometimes, it takes them awhile to get their line tuned up again to make good chips again.

I remember when Taiwan lost power during an earthquake. Made getting chips from the factory there dicey. For a bit of time, everyone was wonder if the chips on the boards being made were from an 'earthquake' lot or not, since they were unreliable to use.

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
Re: Dumb Writers

Originally posted by tsugaru
Quote from the article:

"...and the Canadian province of Ottawa without power, an area where an estimated 50 million people live..."

You'd think that a journalist for eWeek would know that Ottawa is the capital city of Canada. However, as above mentioned, it is merely a city in Ontario, which was the province that was affected by the outage.

In response to the Fishkill plants, I hope they ramp up production. I'm waiting for my G5.

the funny part is that the whole of Canada only has 32 million people..:eek:

aethier

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
Re: Re: Dumb Writers

Originally posted by aethier

aethier
Not really, in the original (full) quote it was clear that they were talking about both the U.S. and Canada. See where the "..." leads into the section on Canada.

BigJayhawk

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
New Jersey
Re: Re: Dumb Writers

Originally posted by aethier

aethier
The 50 million represents TOTAL outage -- not just Canada (whether the article was written that way or not).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.