Fit extra Apple RAM

Discussion in 'macOS' started by britpop, Dec 7, 2007.

1. britpop macrumors member

I plan to install extra RAM memory and remember a problem with an OS X update that caused problems with non-Apple RAM. Therefore my question is:- To avoid future problems should I by Apple Store RAM at an inflated price or am I foolish not to buy cheap.:confused:

p.s. I have a new Intel iMac and 10.5.1

2. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

You'd be mad to buy Apple RAM at their prices. Buy from Crucial or Kingston and you'll save a fortune, and the RAM will be absolutely fine (and Crucial RAM has a lifetime guarantee, and possibly Kingston too). Don't buy dirt-cheap 'budget' RAM, but equally don't let yourself believe that Apple RAM has pixie dust on it or something.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Buy cheap, but not too cheap. Pick a reputable company. For example, www.crucial.com is a lot cheaper than Apple, maybe not the absolute cheapest place to buy, but 100 percent reliable. And with them you don't order a certain type of memory, but memory specifically for your computer, so you can be sure it is the right one. Others will recommend other reputable companies.

4. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Ditto the above posters, Apple's ram is very expensive but it makes some people comfortable. :confused: On the other hand, ram prices that are too good to be true will end up costing you in crashes, kernel panics, return shipping, headaches, etc.