Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Fitbit today stopped sales of its Fitbit Force and issued a voluntary recall of the product following multiple consumer complaints of skin irritation.

First released in October of 2013, the Fitbit Force is the company's latest wearable activity tracker, monitoring sleep, steps taken, distance traveled, calories burned, and stairs climbed.

Reports of skin irritation from the Fitbit Force began gaining traction in January after a report from The Consumerist pointed to multiple users experiencing contact dermatitis after prolonged use of the band.

fitbitforce.jpg
Fitbit quickly began offering refunds or product replacements to affected customers and suggested the problems could be caused by a nickel allergy, as nickel is an element of the stainless steel used in the band. Fitbit's full recall letter is below, courtesy of TechCrunch:
We wanted to provide an update on our investigation into reports we have received about Force users experiencing skin irritation.

From the beginning, we've taken this matter very seriously. We hired independent labs and medical experts to conduct a thorough investigation, and have now learned enough to take further action. The materials used in Force are commonly found in many consumer products, and affected users are likely experiencing an allergic reaction to these materials.

While only a small percentage of Force users have reported any issue, we care about every one of our customers. We have stopped selling Force and are in the process of conducting a voluntary recall, out of an abundance of caution. We are also offering a refund directly to consumers for full retail price. We want to thank each and every member of the Fitbit community for their continued loyalty and support. We are working on our next-generation tracker and will announce news about it soon.

For additional information, please contact our support line at: 888-656-6381, or visit http://www.fitbit.com/forcesupport.
According to Fitbit co-founder and CEO James Park, only 1.7 percent of Fitbit users have reported skin irritation issues. An independent study did, however, determine the Fitbit is causing allergic contact dermatitis in some users, likely as a result of nickel contact or from the strap materials/glue used in the device's construction.

Fitbit Force owners can request a refund for their devices from the Fitbit website, with the company promising to send a reimbursement check within two to six weeks after a returned device is received. Fitbit is also working on an updated hypoallergenic version of the Force to be released sometime in the near future.

Article Link: Fitbit Issues Recall for Fitbit Force Over Skin Irritation Reports

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Everyone trying to beat Apple to the punch these folks aren't even doing proper testing first. :p

hortod1

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2009
same here, i wish it had something to put over the charge port so i could wear it in the shower though.

I love my too. Waterproof would make it perfect. I swim laps and it bums me out when I have to take it off

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Doesn't seem like much of a story. But irritation is part of why I stopped wearing watches 25 years ago. And other jewelry after that.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Everyone trying to beat Apple to the punch these folks aren't even doing proper testing first. :p

Apple did not even do proper testing of the iPhone4 in respect of being a phone!

Realistically if Apple want to be 100% sure then they should go with surgical grade titanium.

DarkWinter

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2012
Meanwhile in the UK...still waiting for either the Fitbit Force or Jawbone UP24 to even be released.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I was actually looking into getting one of these this week, but they were sold out everywhere I checked... now I know why. Got a Pebble instead.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
My nike fuel can go in the shower and no irritation after almost a year's worth of use....

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
A person can get contact dermatitis from nearly anything, especially in hot and humid conditions, so I don't see how this problem can be avoided entirely. I've gotten it from my glasses, and they're made from plastic.

oogje

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2002
nyc
Call Notifications still Coming Soon?

I hope this doesn't sidetrack the promised firmware update with Call Notifications. The CEO stating "We have stopped selling Force" and "we’re working on our next-generation tracker and will announce news about it soon" sounds like it's the end of Force.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
I actually didn't like the fitbit force for several reasons:

Not waterproof,
cannot swap out rubber band,
too big/felt heavy, I always knew I was wearing it,
the clasp felt like it was always loose.

After about a month of wearing it, i returned and "downgraded" back to the FitBit Flex, which I absolutely love.

DarkAether

macrumors regular
May 5, 2010
I started getting a rash under the charging port area of the Force after 6 weeks with no problems. Luckily I bought it at REI who has a long-term satisfaction guarantee, so when I brought it to the store and showed them my wrist, they offered a refund without issue. I ended up using the credit towards the Fitbit One model which has the same functionality and fits in your pocket or can clip on with an included clip case as well as comes with a velcro wrist band.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Well, that product didn't last long. The Force was on sale for about six months, I believe? Shame to think of all the money spent on R&D and production for a product that had such a short life cycle.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
A person can get contact dermatitis from nearly anything, especially in hot and humid conditions, so I don't see how this problem can be avoided entirely. I've gotten it from my glasses, and they're made from plastic.

I applaud Fitbit for acting quickly, being open, and offering full refunds. That's how companies should react to issues. With that being said, I don't think there is much else they can do. A certain percentage of people are going to be allergic to something. Moisture is beast. If my Ironman get sweaty during workouts, I have to remove it immediately afterwards or suffer the consequences. Dry, just walking around? No issues.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
While only a small percentage of Force users have reported any issue, we care about every one of our customers. We have stopped selling Force and are in the process of conducting a voluntary recall, out of an abundance of caution.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I applaud Fitbit for acting quickly, being open, and offering full refunds. That's how companies should react to issues. With that being said, I don't think there is much else they can do. A certain percentage of people are going to be allergic to something. Moisture is beast. If my Ironman get sweaty during workouts, I have to remove it immediately afterwards or suffer the consequences. Dry, just walking around? No issues.

Exactly. Anybody who has any problem with a product for any reason should be able to return that product for a full refund. That's business 101.

Trik

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2011
Washington, DC
I hope this doesn't sidetrack the promised firmware update with Call Notifications. The CEO stating "We have stopped selling Force" and "we’re working on our next-generation tracker and will announce news about it soon" sounds like it's the end of Force.

I came here to say exactly this, I'm worried that they will no longer release that firmware (why add to support load for a product they just recalled)...

Dammit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.