Five iOS Games Worth Checking Out

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 15, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Over on our YouTube channel, we have a series that highlights new, interesting, fun, and useful apps that we think are worth downloading and checking out.

For today's video, we've decided to focus on games, highlighting both new and old titles that we personally recommend and have spent some time playing.

- Dr. Mario World (Free) - Dr. Mario World is Nintendo's newest iOS app, which launched just last week. Dr. Mario World, like the classic title, is a match three game where the goal is to clear viruses off of the board by matching them with colored capsules. Players are tasked with using strategy to clear the viruses with the fewest number of moves, as capsules are limited, which is a deviation from the original gameplay. Dr. Mario World is a freemium game and while it's free to play, there are optional in-app purchases. Dr. Mario World, like other Nintendo titles, requires a persistent internet connection to play.

- Walk Master - (Free) - Walk Master is a free arcade-style game where players are tasked with controlling animals on stilts. The goal of the game is to traverse obstacles and terrain using precision timing. There are multiple challenging levels to beat, along with 26 characters to collect. There are in-app purchases to remove ads and to get coins. Walk Master was our sister site TouchArcade's game of the week last week due to its excellent controls and challenging but fun gameplay.

- Beat the Intro (Free) - Beat the Intro is a music trivia app that's designed to test your music knowledge. The aim of the game is to guess the artist based on a music clip, and answering faster earns you more points. Every music genre is offered, with thousands of officially licensed music tracks included. The game is free, but a $2.49 weekly VIP pass unlocks all song packs, removes ads, and provides infinite gameplay energy. There are also in-app purchases for coins to buy new music packs. We don't recommend the subscription, but there's some free gameplay to be had that's worthwhile.

- LEGO Tower (Free) - LEGO Tower from NimbleBit is like the hit game Tiny Tower but with LEGO, as the name suggests. The goal is to build up a LEGO tower floor by floor to create apartments and businesses for the Minifigure residents. There are hundreds of unique Minifigures to collect, and tons of different businesses and areas to unlock. The game is free to play, but you can purchase Bux to speed up building times and other gameplay elements.

- Rescue Wings (Free) - Rescue Wings is a flying game where the goal is to take on the role of Scruffy the dog, flying through the outdoors to put out forest fires. You'll need to dive into lakes to fill up your water reservoir, and then dump that water onto fires. The ultimate goal is to fly as far as you can without crashing or missing a fire, and as you play, you can unlock new planes and skill boosts. The game is free, but there are in-app purchases for additional fuel, coins for unlocking items, and a $7.49 per week "Fire Chief" subscription that gives unlimited fuel. We don't recommend the subscription option because of its incredibly high price, but gameplay is fun and there's a decent amount of ad-supported free play.

Have a favorite iOS game? Let us know down in the comments. We're always looking for new iOS game and app ideas for this video series, and we'll check out all of your recommendations. You can also check out our recommendations from previous months here, and don't miss our similar Mac app series featuring some great Mac apps.

Article Link: Five iOS Games Worth Checking Out

2. ipponrg macrumors 68000

This game sounds similar to SongPop.

3. FightTheFuture macrumors 65816

FightTheFuture

Forgot to try out Dr. Mario when it was released. Thanks for the reminder.

4. lupend88 macrumors 6502

lupend88

Dr. Mario has always been a match-four. This app is the first time it has been a match-three.

5. JGIGS macrumors 65816

JGIGS

It's pretty good but once I start needing things to pass stages that will probably be it for me. Think Nintendo's version of Candy Crush.

6. FightTheFuture macrumors 65816

FightTheFuture

Oh I go further than that - I remember playing it on NES.
    Man - I was trying to figure out what the difference was. This must be it.

7. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Watching the video the user took 4 pills to beat that level instead of two if he would have rotated them. Drove me crazy being a long time Dr Mario fan.

8. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Each suggested game has IAPs to buy coins/bux/jewels/points whatever to actually play the game. It's the same freemium crud we've been seeing for a long time.

I would appreciate a list of good games, but none of these are it. Give me either games with a one-time price, or a game with an IAPs that aren't just purchasing in-game currency.

9. drumcat macrumors 6502a

drumcat

South Park: Phone Destroyer is an amazingly deep live-action card game. Try it out... and if you're patient just a little bit, there really isn't pay-to-win; it's pay-to-skip-forward. I enjoy it a lot.

10. Swaderz macrumors newbie

I can’t believe they recommended a game that has a $7.49 dollar WEEKLY subscription! Shame on the developer and shame on MacRumors for recommending such an obviously greedy developer.

Subscriptions are getting out of control.

11. drumcat macrumors 6502a

drumcat

Ya, that's only $389/year. No big deal.

12. Sunshoopa macrumors 6502

Sunshoopa

I know people who almost beat all the current worlds with 3 stars on every level and they used 0 power ups. I think they set it up in a way that you can do that, just is very challenging.

13. millerlite macrumors regular

millerlite

Literally none of those games look any good. I’ve been playing Stellaris for two weeks on PC, and I yearn for that kind of depth on my phone. Come on, we got CIV VI on our phones, we can do better.

14. Rychiar macrumors 6502

Rychiar

that lego game is literally Tiny Tower with enhanced graphics... like I really hope its the same company or they paid to just license the lego IP cus its the exact same thing...

15. Altis macrumors 68030

It's all just forgettable stuff churned out to make some quick cash and move on to the next thing when permanent iOS updates break it.

16. Romeo_Nightfall macrumors 6502

Romeo_Nightfall

I gave You green but, in defense of the dev. If You go on holiday and play this game, You are thru easily in a week and then You will never play it again hence its 7.49 for a week of fun which is actually not that bad!

17. Sonic macrumors regular

i think you should put (Free, In-App Purchases / Subscription) if that's the case because that's not the same as 'Free'

18. Lgreer macrumors newbie

19. Eightarmedpet macrumors regular

Eightarmedpet

Love the idea of this article but these games all look like terrible pay to progress money grabs.

Maybe Apple Arcade is actually going to be good as it won’t feature this awful mechanic?

20. ds2000 macrumors 6502

ds2000

I miss playing games without subscriptions. I'd love EA/Bullfrog to release the original theme park for $5 / $10.
    I hardly play anything anymore with loot crates... it's dead for me.

21. JackHB macrumors newbie

JackHB

Unfortunately that's the way the industry is heading simply because it's just the best way to make money in the gaming industry today. Particularly in Asia it's actually very common to pay to progress and not frowned upon, people actually enjoy and prefer spending their money like this.

I think there is no harm in it as long as you can still progress without a literal "pay barrier" stopping you. You have to remember that these companies employ whole teams of people, paying third party licenses etc so do need to generate an income to keep afloat.

Apple Arcade looks very exciting, I'd be interested to know how much of that monthly subscription fee actually gets back to the teams that work on them - if it's anything similar to Spotify it would be a financial mess with the larger teams these companies are formed of.

22. KJL3000 macrumors 6502

KJL3000

Lego Tower is basically the same as tiny tower...

23. Namateratsu macrumors newbie

Namateratsu

This Mario looks much more fun then I expected. But then comes this crazy goat walking on sticks, looks like a challange for me.

24. BoxOfSnoo macrumors member

Yeah these are pathetic choices.

My current faves:
    - Crashlands
    - Alto’s Odyssey
    - XCOM Enemy Within
    - Grid Autosport
    - Pocket City
    - Bloons TD6
    - Minecraft

Except for Bloons, they are pay once and play. The IAPs In Bloons can easily be ignored, it’s really fun without.

25. cajun67 macrumors regular

cajun67

Been playing Dr Mario... so far, not impressed. The first dozen levels are super easy.