Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apps designed for the Mac don't often receive as much coverage as apps designed for iPhones and iPads, which is why we have a series here at MacRumors that highlights interesting Mac apps worth checking out. This month's picks feature productivity and organization tools along with a couple of fun but useful apps.

• Panelicious (Free) - Panelicious lets you organize your files and apps into separate panels, so you can streamline different workflows and make groups of apps and files easier to access. So, for example, if you have a workflow for answering emails that includes an email app, a notes app, and a calendar, you can group those together and then pull up that panel to get right to what you need. Panels can be customized and hidden when they're not needed.
  • Tuck ($6.99) - Tuck is an app that lets you dock app windows to the edge of your screen, popping them out when you move your cursor over into the area. Available as a menu bar app, Tuck lets you move windows to the Left, Right, Bottom, and Top of the Mac's screen, keeping apps organized but accessible. Tuck is $6.99, but there's an unlimited free trial available.
  • MacDroid ($19.99 per year) - MacDroid is a useful app for those who have a Mac and an Android device. It allows photos, videos, music, folders, and more to be transferred between an Android phone or tablet and a Mac over a USB connection. There's a 7-day free trial, and after that, it costs $19.99 to use for a year.
  • Poolside FM (Free) - Poolside FM is a fun little summer app that pairs summer playlists with a classic Mac design. It's a no-frills app from the popular Poolside.fm radio station, which is also available on the web.
  • TextSniper ($5) - TextSniper is a simple app that lets you take a screenshot of unselectable text, converting it into typed text that you can use. You can take a screenshot of an image or a PDF that has text, and the app will recognize the text and copy it to the clipboard. The app lives in the menu bar so it's out of the way but on hand when needed.
Know of a must-have Mac app or game that we haven't highlighted yet? Let us know in the comments below and we might feature it in a future video. For more of our Mac app picks, check out our essential Mac apps archive.

Article Link: Five Mac Apps Worth Checking Out - August 2020

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
I was full of stoke and love when I read your post....... but I just tried to download this, and it says you need to be running Catalina???? Why the hell???? I'm not installing that piece of sh*t Catalina. What the hell does this app do that requires Catalina???
Damn, sorry about that. The app utilises some of the latest APIs released by Apple and unfortunately those don't support older operating systems.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
This is an excellent list, thank you. I’m immediately going to try panelicious and tuck.

Panelicious sounds like what I’ve been trying to do with Flotato and Magnet, and to a lesser extent dedicated desktops.

Tuck sounds perfect for some of my always-on but intermittently-used apps.

amartinez1660

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2014
If you'll allow me to lift my own tail a bit, I've built a similar app to TextSniper: OwlOCR.

Majority of it's features are free, with a three week premium trial upon installation (without any signup required).

Have to admit that guy came up with a cooler name though 😢
Nice! Does by any chance it detects the font used?

That would be a killer feature that would put one or the other a step above. Was looking at the TextSniper one and it didn’t seem to have that.

nevertheless will be trying yours :)

Reactions: Zammir

zackkitzmiller

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2007
I was full of stoke and love when I read your post....... but I just tried to download this, and it says you need to be running Catalina???? Why the hell???? I'm not installing that piece of sh*t Catalina. What the hell does this app do that requires Catalina???

Ya know how operating systems provide new APIs with each release? This app uses some new APIs. New APIs can be easier to integrate, provide access to things previous APIs didn't allow, fix bugs in APIs, and provide security updates.

Catalina has these. The developer took advantage of them, and made an awesome app. I'm going to get both, because supporting indie developers (who use new and featureful APIs) so they can keep making awesome software for us fools who upgrade our OSs to get better apps.

amartinez1660

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2014
Damn, sorry about that. The app utilises some of the latest APIs released by Apple and unfortunately those don't support older operating systems.
Sadly for those that can’t use it and embrace it for one reason or another, Catalina has been quite the hindrance.

But for the others that have no issues with it, using it tends to be smooth sailing. I’m lucky on that front, both on an 2013 SSD’ed and 2020 iMac. Pretty sure there must be also ease of development on that version of OSX? (asking as a wannabe one day OSX tools developer)

Latest XCode, latest FCPX, etc all require Catalina.

Reactions: mashdots

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
This is an excellent list, thank you. I’m immediately going to try panelicious and tuck.

Panelicious sounds like what I’ve been trying to do with Flotato and Magnet, and to a lesser extent dedicated desktops.

Tuck sounds perfect for some of my always-on but intermittently-used apps.
Back in Panther or Tiger or one of the long ago releases of OS X, Steve previewed App Stacks but they did not make it to the final release and never did. They were stacks of apps in the dock. Since then I’ve engineered my own version with what I call App Aliai. I have 6 folders in my docs folder, each with alias to apps I want access to and each of those is in a grid in my dock. Click on that stack in the dock and there are 5-10 apps sorted together by use. Rather than using the whole applications folder to get to them. I know a lot of people use spotlight or launchpad but I’ve never taken to those workflows.

Panelicious looks like a great alternative to that as it allows for App and Folder groupings. Some of the shortcomings of Panelicious though are:

1. you can’t control the size of the box by anything other than a slider. No number input and there is no auto that will size it to the right size based on number of apps and icon size. So it is very hard to have consistent panel sizes.

2. You can’t name the panels in the manager.

3. You have to add it to your login in items in System Prefs since there is no option in the app.

4. Biggest issue. No keyboard shortcut to toggle panels on / off. Though BTT may be able to solve that. Or via Applescripts. If anyone has a suggestion on how to implement a global keyboard shortcut for visibility, post it.

Reactions: amartinez1660

amartinez1660

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2014
Ya know how operating systems provide new APIs with each release? This app uses some new APIs. New APIs can be easier to integrate, provide access to things previous APIs didn't allow, fix bugs in APIs, and provide security updates.

Catalina has these. The developer took advantage of them, and made an awesome app. I'm going to get both, because supporting indie developers (who use new and featureful APIs) so they can keep making awesome software for us fools who upgrade our OSs to get better apps.

we need a “clapping hands” emoticon.

EDIT: excuse me the spamming. Was hoping for the auto merge thing to happen.

ColBatGuano

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2015
If you'll allow me to lift my own tail a bit, I've built a similar app to TextSniper: OwlOCR.

Majority of it's features are free, with a three week premium trial upon installation (without any signup required).

Have to admit that guy came up with a cooler name though 😢

The app store says 50% off until August - just wondering what the regular price is. (need to check I'm seeing the discounted price).

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Not bad. Not easy to work with panels once you have too many as they cover the UI of the editor.

Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 9.35.06 PM.png

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

AC Rempt

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2008
I bought Tuck and TextSniper, and both are perfect for so much of the work I do. I'm trying to run a complex tutoring program (as in services, not an app) for a community college, and I get a ton of emails, Excel and Word files, and PDFs every day. Now I can arrange them more easily and lift the text I need. Thanks, MacRumors!

(I just re-read my post, and it sounds like an ad! I'm just a guy. No affiliation with anything successful or profitable.)

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
Nice! Does by any chance it detects the font used?

That would be a killer feature that would put one or the other a step above. Was looking at the TextSniper one and it didn’t seem to have that.

nevertheless will be trying yours :)
Hey, the output is plain text, so it doesn't detect the font.

If you're using the app to create searchable PDFs, those should have the appropriate bounding box for the search result (the font size).

Detecting the font would be an interesting feature for sure, not sure how I'd go about that (primarily where to find the model / how to train a model for that). 🤔

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
Sadly for those that can’t use it and embrace it for one reason or another, Catalina has been quite the hindrance.

But for the others that have no issues with it, using it tends to be smooth sailing. I’m lucky on that front, both on an 2013 SSD’ed and 2020 iMac. Pretty sure there must be also ease of development on that version of OSX? (asking as a wannabe one day OSX tools developer)

Latest XCode, latest FCPX, etc all require Catalina.
For me, it was that I wanted to create something using SwiftUI and for that it was always going to be Catalina and newer. Other than that the actual OCR that is being done is also Catalina and newer so it was actually quite reasonable for this particular app to require that. The new Xcode 12 is actually a pretty good step forward, so if you want to start developing native tools for Mac, that's probably what I would recommend. I've already jumped to Big Sur for my dev environment. :)

davidec

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
Great article guys. wow Tuck is great. Works with audio plugins in DAW's! Incredible!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.