Five Mac Apps Worth Checking Out - July 2019

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 2, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apps designed for the Mac often don't receive as much attention as apps made for iOS devices, so we have a series here at MacRumors that's designed to highlight useful and interesting Mac apps that are worth checking out and potentially investing in.

This month's picks include apps for making your Touch Bar more functional, adding quick switches to the Menu bar, creating to-do lists, replacing the dashboard that's now defunct in macOS Catalina, and easily accessing Spotify and iTunes controls.

- Pock
    (Free) - Pock is a simple little Mac app that's designed to make your Touch Bar more useful by adding your dock to your Touch Bar so you can quickly access your apps and even files within folders. The Pock options are customizable, so you can choose what you need most, adding options like a now playing widget for controlling music, a status widget for getting info like WiFi connection of battery level, and more.

- One Switch ($4.99) - One Switch is a nifty Mac menu bar app that adds various switches to the Mac's menu bar. You can add toggles that will do things like hide desktop options, activate dark mode, keep the Mac awake, connect to headphones, toggle on Do Not Disturb, activate Night Shift, bring up the Screen Saver, and more. Options are customizable so you can make your One Switch menu do just want you need.

- Microsoft To-Do (Free) - Microsoft earlier this month brought its popular Microsoft To-Do app to the Mac, making it more functional than ever because it's now available across all of your devices. Mac users no longer have to rely on the web app, and can access features like task syncing between devices, file attachments, list sharing, color coding, and reminders for due dates, among other options.

- Flotato (Free) - Flotato is designed to create web apps from your favorite website, so you can get quick access to the web services that you use most often. Flotato web apps can be dragged right into the dock, so you can set up quick access for things like Google Docs, Facebook Messenger, Netflix on the web, favorite news sites, and more.

- Spotmenu (Free) - Spotmenu is another Mac app that's super simple but super useful, especially for Spotify and iTunes users. Spotmenu lets you access Spotify and iTunes content from your menu bar, allowing you to see what song is playing, pause music, play music, and skip tracks.

If you have a favorite must-have Mac app that we haven't highlighted yet, let us know in the comments, and we might feature it in a future video. For more of our Mac app picks, make sure to check out our Mac app archives.

Article Link: Five Mac Apps Worth Checking Out - July 2019

2. BWhaler macrumors 68030

BWhaler

“Make your Touch Bar more useful”

Classic. Someone at Macrumors had a great sense of humor.

Separately, I love these types of articles. Let’s see more attention brought to software developers. Too much hardware fetish in the Apple world, and it’s thw software that makes or breaks the platform.

3. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

4. canadianreader macrumors 6502a

canadianreader

Flotato is neat but I think they don't support creating Web Apps with extensions like adblockers and others for that it's better to use Coherence Pro since it relies on Google Chrome to create website like apps and integrate extensions. https://www.bzgapps.com/coherencepro

5. funkright macrumors newbie

Microsoft To-Do has a cluttered interface, but I am using todoist as a reference. It has levels of control and customization that are pretty good for a free app, so if you can get past the clunkiness of the interface it'll serve you well (unfortunately I couldn't :confused:)

6. SecuritySteve macrumors 6502a

SecuritySteve

But seriously, where can we find that coffee mug in the still of the video?

7. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

I love these articles. Though none of these apps interest me, please keep them coming. Always good to learn about useful Mac apps.

8. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I wish someone would revive Temps, the menu bar weather app.

9. rlhamil macrumors regular

rlhamil

BetterTouchTool, in addition to mapping additional touchpad gestures (and keystrokes, Magic Mouse, etc) can now put the Dock on the Touch Bar too; it has for some time now been able to do other things with the Touch Bar, while coexisting with system or application specific uses thereof.

Formerly free, still quite cheap.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 2, 2019 ---
    I use CARROT for that; choose the "boring" rather than "snarky" personality setting if you wish. :) I think its data is mostly from Dark Sky, which is about the best for local weather. Here in Maryland, if you don't like the weather, wait an hour or drive a few miles, and it'll change; so good location awareness counts for a lot.

10. iemilyann macrumors newbie

iemilyann

You can find it at 1 Infinite Loop in Cupertino, CA. Only on sale at the Apple Store on the old Apple campus.

11. sevoneone macrumors 6502

For most, Chrome is a problem, not a solution. I still can't figure our why reading MacRumors and just about any website with ads or videos triggers the dedicated GPU on every mac I've ever owned with graphics switching. Safari actually renders the same pages smoother and only ever used the integrated graphics. I'll take webkit apps with ads over a single chrome instance/tab eating 2GB of ram, half my battery and keeping the fans spinning.

12. ColBatGuano macrumors newbie

Flotato doesn't work for my local machines (i.e. a Yamaha amp). It just produces a page for a google search for the amp.

I'll stick with Fluid for this for now.

13. LordCoe13 macrumors regular

LordCoe13

Just tried to install the 7 day trial of One Switch to try it out before purchasing it. Seems on Catalina beta it will not allow me to install it :(

Getting the following error:
    “One Switch” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software."

14. badatusernames, Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2019

badatusernames macrumors regular

badatusernames

I believe that’s an issue with notarization. You try right-clicking and opening it or disable gatekeeper temporary.

15. FightTheFuture macrumors 65816

FightTheFuture

You guys aren’t into the weather widget in Notification Center?

16. canadianreader macrumors 6502a

canadianreader

Actually there's a way to tweak chrome and disable some setting to make it kinda lightweight. There are few alternatives that use safari to create website app instead of chrome.
    https://www.bzgapps.com/unite
    https://fluidapp.com

17. Tech198 macrumors G5

One Switch looks good. I'll pay for an app, as long as its not too expensive $10 or over

However you can't have a free app with no adds.. Everyone must make some money.

18. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

Glad you guys find these useful, we enjoy doing them too. It's nice to surface apps because they really don't get a lot of time on the site. If there are suggestions for other articles in this vein, let us know. Also, make sure to tell us your fav Mac apps, helps us do these more often.

19. BugHunter macrumors member

BugHunter

I think I'm the one person on the planet that likes the TouchBar.
    Note I didn't say that I find it useful or an increase of productivity, but that I like it. Makes my laptop feel more alive.

As a result of this article I tried Pock and I've got to say, with some tweaks in its preferences, I think it's great.
    Depending on how many apps you have running (thanks to a VM I have quite a few), you might want to set it to Show only running apps, Hide Persistent Items, and set Item spacing to 0 or even negative.

Then the touchbar works as a replacement for your dock. It can't provide the right click functionality, but otherwise very useful if you don't have a second screen handy, hate the pop in/out dock, and want to save that screen real-estate.

So yeah, aint for everyone, probably only for 5% of people if that, but, well, I'm happy :D

20. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

Better touch tool !

This app makes multi touch on the Mac track pad soooo much more useful! You can set almost any gesture you like to do almost anything.. Either app specific, or across the entire system. I LOVE IT!

21. stiwi macrumors regular

Microsoft To-Do offers incomparable level of features for free compared to todoist which in free version doesn't have reminders or file uploads...

22. Spacetime Anomaly macrumors member

Spacetime Anomaly

I often try apps like Flotato (and Fluid before it) only to find it simpler to have the site open in a Safari tab instead.

Maybe I just haven't come across a useful enough instance yet.

23. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Thanks, that was the one that stuck out to me in this list.

24. unfunfionn macrumors member

unfunfionn

I also like the Touch Bar, but only since I installed GoldenChaos. The stock Touch Bar is terrible, but I absolutely love it now. I'm just curious how Pock compares to GoldenChaos, which is a fantastic idea but each release comes with new bugs and that gets a bit tiring.

25. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 65816

TheSkywalker77

It said on the website that it was still in beta for Mojave. So I'm guessing I wouldn't have much luck on my machine that's running Catalina. Darn, I really liked this one.