Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Another vote for MacUpdater! App and developer are both great.

I don't understand the fascination with MacUpdater... I tried it... and it reported multiple apps with updates, but three of them (Firefox, Dropbox and AppZapper) were already up-to-date.

I'd say it's unreliable at best...

spradling

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2008
Montevideo, Uruguay
I don't understand the fascination with MacUpdater... I tried it... and it reported multiple apps with updates, but three of them (Firefox, Dropbox and AppZapper) were already up-to-date.

I'd say it's unreliable at best...
Hmm, I've never had that happen, and have been using MacUpdater for over a year and have Firefox and Dropbox. Sometimes apps get updated, but not pushed to the built-in-app updater, so if you check for updates it says up to date, but if you go to the website there's a new version. Also sometimes apps get updated but the version number doesn't change (different build number though).
The developer is super responsive, so if that happened to you send him an email and he'll check the specifics for that case, and fix it quick. App is in active development. I'm amazed by the dev, it's a 1-man operation, he handles the coding and the customer support, and sends me long and detailed replies always to any doubts I have.

Fascination is because there's nothing else like it (MacUpdateDesktop sucks in comparison and is a resource hog (and more expensive, and doesn't find as many apps/updates as MacUpdater)) and some people are update addicts (personally I manually refresh my iOS app store updates several times a day lol). MacUpdate finds updates for non-MacAppStore apps that don't have a built-in update mechanism very well, also finds updates to extensions and software that aren't really "apps".

And another reason: sometimes it's easier to update an app via MacUpdater than via the apps built-in system! Onyx and other apps that direct you to a .dmg download for example. MacUpdate handles it much better: downloads, mounts, replaces, unmounts, deletes, much faster.

Reactions: Weaselboy

VeryVito

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2008
I am happy with latest - and its free

I use both, but MacUpdater tends to be more reliable than Latest for me. That said, there is one stubborn app that only Latest seems to recognize. Using both the $10 MacUpdater AND the OSS Latest, though, I'm covered.

Note, MacUpdater is different than Macupdate Desktop, which is subscription-based. I used MacUpdate Desktop for years, but I seem to get much better coverage w/ Corecode's lighter app. I do feel bad for the developer, though, as he's doing a great job despite being shut out from both the AppStore and MacUpdate websites. Tough market.

cortig

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
I use both, but MacUpdater tends to be more reliable than Latest for me. That said, there is one stubborn app that only Latest seems to recognize. Using both the $10 MacUpdater AND the OSS Latest, though, I'm covered.

Note, MacUpdater is different than Macupdate Desktop, which is subscription-based. I used MacUpdate Desktop for years, but I seem to get much better coverage w/ Corecode's lighter app. I do feel bad for the developer, though, as he's doing a great job despite being shut out from both the AppStore and MacUpdate websites. Tough market.

I have been a MacUpdate desktop for a very long time. I got frustrated with some issues lately and read an article about MacUpdater. I must admit I was impressed. The UI is a bit dry maybe, but it works like a charm and picked up a number of updates MacUpdate Desktop didn't see. I very much appreciate the single license (as opposed to subscription). It doesn't look like I'll be renewing my MacUpdate Dekstop subscription when the time comes.

sjaveri

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2019
MacUpdater user here, and can say that it has worked almost flawlessly for me for the past 8 months or so that i have been using it for. If you have a lot of apps installed and like to keep everything updated, there is simply no better way.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks to all who suggested MacUpdater. I purchased and installed it a couple days ago and it found four apps that needed updates. I was impressed how it automatically downloaded the DMG files with the update, then opened the DMG and installed the update, and after that ejected and deleted the DMG. Slick design.

Reactions: VeryVito
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.